What's new

How do you sell not cheap vehicles private party?

Member Number
Loc
Sunny Sequim, WA
I have never had problems selling 10k and under cars on Craigslist and marketplace. They usually go pretty quickly.

However, I have had my pickup (2014 F350 DRW 6.7, 44 thousand miles) listed at 35k OBO for months now with no action at all. Nobody wants to see it. And only low ball offers of like 20k.

Is my price too high? Is it because it's deleted? Is it because it's an extended cab XLT, and not a crew cab platinum short bed?

I've brought it to car max, and their price was okay, not as low as I expected, but still about 5k less than I would like.

Should I pay for an autotrader ad? Pay for ad "boosting" on marketplace?

I don't NEED to sell this thing, and I don't owe much on it. I just had a second kid and would like to get in to a crew cab, but am making do with the extended cab. So I'm not really desperate to take much less.

The truck market has been so screwed up. During riding season, its almost on par with the motorcycle scene. Absolutely flooded with stock and price aren't much lower than brand new.

It’s the extended cab. I have an access can taco like yours 14’ and low mile but I’d rather just keep it than sell it for less than a crew cab with 250k.

Truck market is fubar right now. Dealers are offering massive discounts to try and move stock. At one dealer I looked at I could get a brand new f150 cheaper than a 2 year old used one, same specs due to the discounts
​​​​​
And extended cab isn't nearly as popular as crewcab, for the exact reasons you want to move up.

small market for that truck, Auto trader is good for a wider reach and find some RV sites

I've seen your ad, it's a nice truck, but the extra cab is a killer, then, it's in an odd spot, that's an old man truck, but old men don't want a deleted truck.
like a beige Ferrari or a Ferrari red minivan. Can you "undelete" it? Or can it be registered in your state without issue? In that case you could keep it out of your ad, but disclose it in person.

you may have decent luck having an rv dealership consign it

or accept the 5k under offer and move on

My thought is that a lot of people can come up with 10k cash, most can't come up with 35K cash and don't/can't go to the bank. A dealership will do all the paperwork for them, all they have to do is sign on the dotted line. just my .02

This.

I would never shell out 35k cash. I want to finance. (Even when I have the cash).

Financing a craigslist car is a pain in the ass. I’d rather go just deal with the dealership.

You bought a truck with very little market. DRW and extended cab, you didn't say if it was long bed, but if it is, you are looking for a unicorn buyer. DRW makes it tough to park for a daily driver. If you are using for pulling an RV, the smaller cab limits interior space for secure/dry storage or people who will ride comfortably. You are essentially looking for a retired couple with no grandchildren or single cowboy. You are going to need to really mean that you are patient if you want that extra 5K.

The extended cab kills the deal. Single and crew cabs have a solid following but not so much on the extended.... then throw in that it's a dually and the buyers disappear. Your looking for a 70 year old single man that's wanted a newer truck his whole life and finally has the cash but yours is deleted so he moves on to the next.

You bought a truck with very little market. DRW and extended cab, you didn't say if it was long bed, but if it is, you are looking for a unicorn buyer. DRW makes it tough to park for a daily driver. If you are using for pulling an RV, the smaller cab limits interior space for secure/dry storage or people who will ride comfortably. You are essentially looking for a retired couple with no grandchildren or single cowboy. You are going to need to really mean that you are patient if you want that extra 5K.

This. And with the financing side, OP needs a buyer who has cash, because used financing vs. new incentivized financing means that a buyer who needs to make payments, can go to the dealer and pay $50 more a month for exactly what they want, yes, the term will be twice-plus as long, but we've had long discussions about long loan terms before. Dave Ramsey cares about loan terms. Joe Average, doesn't.

My thought is that a lot of people can come up with 10k cash, most can't come up with 35K cash and don't/can't go to the bank. A dealership will do all the paperwork for them, all they have to do is sign on the dotted line. just my .02

This. Ran into the same thing trying to sell a compact tractor a few years ago. It was priced fair but still $10k, a couple of people that looked at it ended up going to the dealer and buying new with 84month payments because they couldn't put $10k cash together. Had to set on it for a year to sell it for close to asking.
Plus it's a modern diesel just out of warranty, get ready for that used market to start slumping.
Run it into the ground, or sell it for what you can to a dealer. Chances that you'll find a private buyer that can come to you with $35k for a 6 year old truck is going to be tough. CU's/banks start not wanting to touch loans on stuff at 5 years old.
Craigslist is dead, marketplace is full of goons and hard to search. I wouldn't be in the position you are in, but if I was I'd probably pay to put it on auto trader for a month and see what happens.

Super cab, DRW, and xlt all are hurting you, on top of it being a 14. Everyone wants a 15-16 truck to avoid turbo issues.

That’s an oddball configuration, I know this because I’ve got a super cab long bed f250 :laughing: I couldn’t get what I want out of it any day of the week, it’s paid for, and just gunna drive as many miles out of it as I can.

Reactions: DMG
I don't NEED to sell this thing, ... I'm not really desperate to take much less.

This says it all right here. Plenty of other people do want to sell their trucks and are willing to make deals to do it, so they're the ones buyers are buying trucks from. It's not so much the forum you are using to try and sell your truck, it's that you aren't really interested in selling your truck (even though you might feel like you should)

...At least thats my take, in addition to what others have mentioned

Extended cab and dually. You need a single horse woman that needs a tow truck :flipoff2:

Extended cab prices suck, and you can't hardly sell a crew cab dual.

Eat the 5k or drive it forever.

You have have to have keywords like "rare, hard to find, hotrod, mint condition" also make sure to say its a diesel, its not even broke in and it'll last a million miles. Lastly you have to put "no lowballers, I know what I have".

You'd be better trading it in to a dealer on a 80k Platinum edition and trying to sell that in 3 years for 74k.

I'd venture to say there's alot of nervous people right now about taking on extra debt or letting loose cash considering the "virus" and wtf the dems are going to do with the economy...if they do get in. Ayear ago it probably would have been gone.

Put it on eBay. I’ve sold several vehicles and trailers there that weren’t moving locally. Good thing is at that price range the person who wants it will come get it, it’s not the “well of you were only an hour away I’d take it stuff.” I’m in FL, I sold one truck to a guy from Idaho, one to a guy from New York, a trailer to a guy from Louisiana, and a motorcycle to a guy from Indiana.

They can wire the $ before they pick it up, it seems to help everybody’s peace of mind that there is the eBay protection.

Also, wash if and take like 25 good photos with a decent camera, not just one shot of it covered in mud with a bunch of crap in the bed. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I'd venture to say there's alot of nervous people right now about taking on extra debt or letting loose cash considering the "virus" and wtf the dems are going to do with the economy...if they do get in. Ayear ago it probably would have been gone.

I use to think this too but it’s actually the opposite from what I can see.

2wd or 4wd?

Try to return the exhaust to stock if possible. There is a chance you’re scaring people away saying it’s deleted.

I could go for a 6.7 but I wouldn’t consider anything other than a crew cab short bed. Sorry OP, I’m crew cab addicted.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I've seen your ad, it's a nice truck, but the extra cab is a killer, then, it's in an odd spot, that's an old man truck, but old men don't want a deleted truck.
like a beige Ferrari or a Ferrari red minivan. Can you "undelete" it? Or can it be registered in your state without issue? In that case you could keep it out of your ad, but disclose it in person.

you may have decent luck having an rv dealership consign it

or accept the 5k under offer and move on

I do have all the stock parts. I really do not want to put them back on. Taking them off was a pain in the ass! Plus the DEF system broke, and put the truck in 5mph mode. That prompted the delete, because it was cheaper than fixing stock shit.

Yes it's a long bed. I don't think Ford did short bed dually since 2007?

DRW doesn't really make it any harder to park. It is actually a bit easier than a crew cab.

Truck was great with just the wife and I. Even just fine with 1 car seat in the middle of the back. 2 car seats is pretty much a no-go though. We could do it in a pinch, but the passenger seat needs to be ALL the way forward.

This says it all right here. Plenty of other people do want to sell their trucks and are willing to make deals to do it, so they're the ones buyers are buying trucks from. It's not so much the forum you are using to try and sell your truck, it's that you aren't really interested in selling your truck (even though you might feel like you should)

...At least thats my take, in addition to what others have mentioned

I'm willing to play ball, problem is nobody is even seriously interested.

I have even edited the ad to say I'm willing to trade for a 6.0 plus cash:laughing::homer:

Extended cab and dually. You need a single horse woman that needs a tow truck :flipoff2:

Extended cab prices suck, and you can't hardly sell a crew cab dual.

Eat the 5k or drive it forever.

Horse woman would want King Ranch, minimum.

You have have to have keywords like "rare, hard to find, hotrod, mint condition" also make sure to say its a diesel, its not even broke in and it'll last a million miles. Lastly you have to put "no lowballers, I know what I have".

You'd be better trading it in to a dealer on a 80k Platinum edition and trying to sell that in 3 years for 74k.

That's actually probably true.

Put it on eBay. I’ve sold several vehicles and trailers there that weren’t moving locally. Good thing is at that price range the person who wants it will come get it, it’s not the “well of you were only an hour away I’d take it stuff.” I’m in FL, I sold one truck to a guy from Idaho, one to a guy from New York, a trailer to a guy from Louisiana, and a motorcycle to a guy from Indiana.

They can wire the $ before they pick it up, it seems to help everybody’s peace of mind that there is the eBay protection.

Also, wash if and take like 25 good photos with a decent camera, not just one shot of it covered in mud with a bunch of crap in the bed. :flipoff2:

Not a bad idea, I'll try iit.what are the Ebay fees like for big money stuff?

2wd or 4wd?

Try to return the exhaust to stock if possible. There is a chance you’re scaring people away saying it’s deleted.

Its 4x4. Probaby not going to return to stock, shit broke.

$35,000 for a 6 year old used truck, lol :laughing:

Somebody is out of touch.

Go price out diesels with less than 50k miles.

I could go for a 6.7 but I wouldn’t consider anything other than a crew cab short bed. Sorry OP, I’m crew cab addicted.

Dang. Another "almost sold it"

Well, if you have the parts to return to stock, I'd suggest putting that in your ad, or not bringing up delete until you've got a nibble

as for everybody saying "cash" and "dealer", y'all are forgetting you can get a private party vehicle financed

I'd also look and make sure you're competitive with new trucks, it happens, watch a new neighborhood get half sold, then the economy turns down, some 2 year owners try to sell, but their builder is now building brand new houses on the end of their street for the same price:homer:

Your truck (hypothetically) could be worth 35, but I bought my new 2018 Ram 3500, crew cab, 4x4, diesel, longbed (for camper) for 48k, plus tax and license, AND, they took my 05 Ford 6.crap engine in on trade. So..... just because it's worth something, doesn't mean you'll get any buyers. Oft times, it's far easier to buy new, and for not much more.
(also, hated my Ford, love my Ram)

If you genuinely want to sell it, pay to have it professionally detailed, then also have professional type photos taken, then re-advertise. Craigslist. Bookface Marketplace. Autotrader. Word of mouth. Send to every truck-camper retailer with a flyer (and a separate note that you'll pay a finders fee of $$) for any successful sale. Even consider Ebay and others.

Top Back Refresh