What's new

HOW DO YOU DRILL METAL WITH A HAND DRILL

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
How do you drill holes in metal with a hand drill?
Speed?
How much pressure to apply?
Drill bit preference?

Hole in question is 1/2"

The reason for the thread is I've gone through drill bits, it appears, way too often.
I use WD40 while drilling.
I buy/use expensive Milwaukee and Dewalt drill bits.

Small Pilot hole unless I am being stubborn an then straight to the 1/2" bit. Generally run about as fast as 1st gear in a cordless drill will turn, unless I am impatient an then its balls out:dustin:

WD40 isnt good lube for anything.

You do know you can sharpen a drill bit right?

You would be surprised how crooked you're holding the drill if you stop and look at it from every angle. I always figure out I'm crooked when the drill catches and bashes me.

In my experience, when you're not getting shavings you're messing up. With holes that big in my drill press I'm usually getting the best results around 1,200 RPM with mild pressure letting the drill bit do the work.

for me atf cheap stuff has worked for the cutting oil. slow and steady. not too much pressure though. feels all wrong with the drill on 1, but going slow allows for the chip to exit under the bit and continue cutting. :beer:

Definitely pilot hole. You could drill one size in between the pilot and 1/2”. (1/4”) WD is not the best, but it works. Fast for pilot and 1/4”, slow for 1/2”. Fair amount of pressure in all cases. Like someone said, “if it ain’t making chips, your dulling the drill.

Lots of pressure and slower than you think.

Cordless drill use 2nd gear for 1/4 inch and smaller, but let off on the throttle for 1/4 inch.
Use 1st gear for anything bigger, and less than full throttle, slower when bigger.
No lube.

With stainless, lots and lots of pressure and very slow. Don't turn the bit ever without making chips.

........and for the millionth time, 11000 series Blair Rotabroach FTMFW!

How do you drill holes in metal with a hand drill?
Speed?
How much pressure to apply?
Drill bit preference?

Hole in question is 1/2"

The reason for the thread is I've gone through drill bits, it appears, way too often.
I use WD40 while drilling.
I buy/use expensive Milwaukee and Dewalt drill bits.
how thick of steel?

As much pressure as the drill motor will allow. Speed for 1/2" should be in the 700-1200rpm range, if possible. Drill a 3/16" pilot first. WD-40 is great for aluminum but shit for steel or anything hard. Get a bottle of cutting fluid. The stuff they sell for threading machines is usually cheap and nice and thick and worst well for drilling and tapping.

Another good trick that works well for hand drilling with larger bits - use slow speed right until it's about to break through, which is where it usually catches and tries to break your wrist. Switch to high speed for that last thing break-through portion and it'll be less like to catch, and the drill will have less torque to it'll be more likely to stall than twist your wrist off.

Don't drill big holes with a cordless drill. Yes, they can do it but even in low gear they suck and get hot. I have a cheapass porter cable corded drill with the side handle that runs slower, is more stable and eats through metal way better than a cordless. That being said your bits will never last as long hand drilling as running the proper speed with adequate pressure in a drill press.

If I am being super precise I might jump from 9/64" to 1/4" to 1/2" otherwise I will just predrill with a 1/4". The pilot bit should be bigger than the chisel point on the bit you are using but if you take small steps you will notice the drill catching and trying to murder you.

Never had much luck with lube for drilling, i got a stick of wax lube for tapping that I tried a few times and it didn't suck?

how thick of steel?

Yep, that's the key metric not answered.

That and these two:
What drill are you using? Corded? Is it a single speed or variable speed. Cordless? How many volts?

What material?

Anything 3/16th or thinner, I typically use a step bit, especially if it is multiple holes.

Anything 1/4" and thicker, I'll use regular bits and follow most of the suggestions already posted.

For mild steel I rarely use lube until it gets above 1/2".

Just like cutting metal with a sawzall or band saw, it's all about the feed, learn how much pressure for it to cut smoothly.

Speed for a 1/2 drill in mild is right around 500 rpms. I start with 1/8th drill bits and work up.

The reality is if you dont have a feel for the tool cutting you'll have issues. Or the noise its making is another one.

Another good trick that works well for hand drilling with larger bits - use slow speed right until it's about to break through, which is where it usually catches and tries to break your wrist. Switch to high speed for that last thing break-through portion and it'll be less like to catch, and the drill will have less torque to it'll be more likely to stall than twist your wrist off.
And less likely to spin the bit in the chuck.

Pilot hole should be just bigger than the finished size drills tip. Typically I'll pilot with an 1/8" for most stuff up to 1/2" holes. Stepping between is unnecessary for most hand drilled sizes and will shorten the drills life, grab, or break bits.

Almost everyone I see with a hand drill is going too fast and not enough pressure. I tell the guys I work with to lay into the drill and make a good chip. If your not making a good chip change your speed/feed. Super important when working with stainless.

Small Pilot hole unless I am being stubborn an then straight to the 1/2" bit. Generally run about as fast as 1st gear in a cordless drill will turn, unless I am impatient an then its balls out:dustin:

WD40 isnt good lube for anything.

You do know you can sharpen a drill bit right?
Maybe you can. I can’t sharpen one for shit.

WD40 definitely sucks though.

Bridge ream, or construction ream. Once you poke a pilot, it'll eat right through.

Last big project I bought a step drill to try, and dulled it quickly. I found it was easily sharpened with a cutoff wheel.

Used to be able to buy a sleeve of 10 3/16" drill bits at Lowe's, try worked really well for pilot holes. Last bunch lasted me a long time, looked recently and didn't see anything like that.

Sharpening drills is a knack. Get a drill point gauge and it'll help a lot. Big drills are easier to sharpen than little ones.

I wish there was a cheap mag drill conversion for cordless drills

Top Back Refresh