What's new

How badly did I screw myself?(Smith &Wesson model 14-3)

Defecater

Member Number
Long story short(ish)- Dad passed away a little over a year ago. Got my mom moved into a small house on my property and literally just got home from the auction of selling off most of parents stuff. One of the guns was a S&W model 14-3 that mom had bought brand new in 58 (manufactured in 57). Still with original box and two speedloaders. Gun is in generally good shape with some wear to the finish that would be expected for its age. Worst part is the grip on left side was somewhat crudely filed down to clear the speedloader. Back about 6-7 months ago, a sibling expressed interest in the pistol so I took it to a local gun shop to get an opinion on its value, thinking it would be 400-500. He estimated it at 7-8. Sister did not like the price so it was slated to go at auction. I was not really interested in it, even though I like revolvers. Funny thing though,,,,, night before the auction as I was giving it a cleaning and oiling, I came to the conclusion that this SHOULD stay in the family. I was prepared to pay 800-1000, but it got bid up to 1300 before I got it!!! I realize that sometimes sentimental connections drive up the value of something for individuals. I dont regret my decision to buy it, but taking the sentimental value out of the picture. How badly did I overpay for it??

It's just right if that was your dad's that your mother purchased for him.

Sentimental shit is cool, the next generation will thank you

It's only expensive if you don't use it

You probably overpaid by about $800 in my opinion, but I don't have any connection to that pistol or the story. With a family heirloom like that, it's priceless. Once something like that is gone, it's very difficult to get back.

I am currently trying to get my grandfather's Springfield from my uncle. I don't really need it, but don't want to get bent over on it.
At least your siblings can't say that you took advantage and didn't pay what it's worth.

It doesn't sound like you over paid at all, I think it's well worth it to keep it in the family.

I have built up and sold off a couple collections over the years.

I will never sell another firearm… those are Mrs orders ☺️

Top Back Refresh