What's new

House passes DC statehood bill

Paragon

Member #42 if by Bus
Member Number
Loc
Jackson, MS USA
House passes DC statehood bill

The U.S. House on Friday approved legislation to make D.C. the 51st state in the United States.

The vote was 232-180.

can you agree it's not constitutional? Or... goalposts? :p

stupid, and they want to recarve a sliver of federal buildings to stay legal :shaking: fuck, they should just break off their communities and join MD

Maybe this will pave the way for states to break away from their lefty crazy big cities. Like illinois from chicago for example.

Maybe this will pave the way for states to break away from their lefty crazy big cities. Like illinois from chicago for example.

Crook County basically screws the whole state of Illinois , because the stupid people vote like the dumbasses that they are, how else would you get Mayor Laurie Dykefoot and Gov. Fat Body ?

Crook County basically screws the whole state of Illinois , because the stupid people vote like the dumbasses that they are, how else would you get Mayor Laurie Dykefoot and Gov. Fat Body ?

That is the future of America. That's the crew that let Juicy Smoliet walk, because he's black and they're black.

The future of America is Chicago. Just more cartoonishly bad Politicians doing blatantly stupid things.

Pretty much. The lexus driving liberal Karen's in some of the burbs dont help much either.

I have to de program one of my friends, he thinks roveing packs of rednecks in trucks asking if he voted for trump are going to kill him before the hood rats do. Which is weird because hes armed to the teeth. It's funny because he lives near st Charles, no packs of rednecks there LOL!! I told him just claim your libertarian, you then have talking points for both sides that they would agree with and you are good to go.

stupid, and they want to recarve a sliver of federal buildings to stay legal :shaking: fuck, they should just break off their communities and join MD

REjoin MD. It was carved off from there for Fed use. So it should return to it.

Election politics at its finest. I wonder how Puerto Rico feels about being forgotten in this push for more States?

REjoin MD. It was carved off from there for Fed use. So it should return to it.

Election politics at its finest. I wonder how Puerto Rico feels about being forgotten in this push for more States?

yup, rejoin. I don't give a shit if they cut DC down to basically the federal buildings and the monuments and just the ring roads around those. everything past that edge, back to MD. they already have fucked politics, they can relinquish all that nonsense political farse they have, the few people that remain in homes there can sell their shit and move across the street if they want representation.

seriously, fuck them.

Fuck that. Swamp should be swamp. Now swamp will have rights. Now .Gov is equal to citizens. Should we go ahead and combine 3 parts of government while we're at it?

Fine, but on the condition that the capital gets moved to a new Federal District in bumbfuck nowhere Midwest and the new state takes everything North of Fredericksburg and East of Winchester out of Virginia.

Wasnt it originally set up as NOT state for a reason? I vaguely recall something about it in middle school US history. For the life of me I can’t remember the reasoning now but I know it was done intentionally.

Just to be clear, votes went down party lines with only one democrat voting against. If we're going to make DC a state then any national monument larger ought to be made a state also (screw Clinton and Obama there ought to be consequences for millions of acres taken).

Wasnt it originally set up as NOT state for a reason? I vaguely recall something about it in middle school US history. For the life of me I can’t remember the reasoning now but I know it was done intentionally.

yeah, I bet it was even in that dusty old constitution thingy

Waitng on {gary} SCOTUS Ninja....... I recall from American Gov class in 1975 that new state ratification requires both House, Senate and all 50 states to clear the deck for launch. Without googling, can anyone comment on that ?

Waitng on {gary} SCOTUS Ninja....... I recall from American Gov class in 1975 that new state ratification requires both House, Senate and all 50 states to clear the deck for launch. Without googling, can anyone comment on that ?

well, back in the carter administration they tried to get congresscritters for D.C. and only a handful of states ratified, therefore it didn't happen.

in order for D.C. to be a state, an amendment is necessary requiring 2/3rds of congress and 3/4ths of the states, I'm fairly certain

edit: and IIRC to simply add a state is just congressional....

Last edited:
well, back in the carter administration they tried to get congresscritters for D.C. and only a handful of states ratified, therefore it didn't happen.

in order for D.C. to be a state, an amendment is necessary requiring 2/3rds of congress and 3/4ths of the states, I'm fairly certain

edit: and IIRC to simply add a state is just congressional....

DC has Congressmen, but not Senators as they're not a State.

Congress can add a state without a Constitutional Amendment, but as DC is a Federal District mandated by the COTUS, an Amendment would be required for it to gain statehood.

That said, we're already beyond the COTUS scope for DC. The District is supposed to be under the authority of Congress, not a local government and is not supposed to exceed 10 square miles. It currently sits at something like 60.

I don't really understand the point other than trying to add another 2 virtually guaranteed Dem votes to the Senate. They're already represented in the House and the District is already self governed instead of being governed by Congress.

DC has Congressmen, but not Senators as they're not a State.

Congress can add a state without a Constitutional Amendment, but as DC is a Federal District mandated by the COTUS, an Amendment would be required for it to gain statehood.

That said, we're already beyond the COTUS scope for DC. The District is supposed to be under the authority of Congress, not a local government and is not supposed to exceed 10 square miles. It currently sits at something like 60.

I don't really understand the point other than trying to add another 2 virtually guaranteed Dem votes to the Senate. They're already represented in the House and the District is already self governed instead of being governed by Congress.

The rep in the House is not a real Rep. I don’t remember the stipulations, but they are not a full voting member of the House

Democratic votes is the only reason they're trying. Same thing for Puerto Rico, and I bet it's next. The ONLY things dems are doing is for voting. They are no longer working for the counrty.

Top Back Refresh