What's new

Hot Weather Welding Gear Recommendations

Donk

Piss Artist Formerly Known As OllieNZ
Member Number
Loc
Limeyland
As above, what do y'all wear when welding in hot weather? Did a bit of fab in a T-shirt yesterday, was only going to tack it up but ended up burning it in and managed to arcburn my arms :homer:

Like regular jagoff vehicle fab? I like just a long sleeve cotton shirt. Heavy metal fab and ill be putting on a denim button up long sleeve shirt from the local tractor place. I always wear a welding cap anymore so i will get it wet and wear it to keep cooler. Sometimes ill even put them in the freezer before putting them on.

I usually just wear the nicest shirt and pants I have and then proceed to burn holes in them while my leather sleeves and apron hang off the gas bottle on my welder. :flipoff2: In hot weather the sleeves and apron would be what I’d wear if I was smart enough to remember to.

Like regular jagoff vehicle fab? I like just a long sleeve cotton shirt. Heavy metal fab and ill be putting on a denim button up long sleeve shirt from the local tractor place. I always wear a welding cap anymore so i will get it wet and wear it to keep cooler. Sometimes ill even put them in the freezer before putting them on.

​​​​​​Just regular booty fab, making a stand for my smoker out of 1/8" wall 2" box so nothing too heavy. Cheers for the ideas :beer:

Go get some sleeves...

Me....I prefer a tank top and flip flops:flipoff2:

Nowt wrong with a wife beater and a set of Samoan safety boots, standard summer wrenching attire :flipoff2:. Only problem for me is I'm a typical pasty ass white boi who turns fluorescent red even thinking about going outside, a coupla gigawatts of welding juice fries me faster than a shirmp on the barbie :lmao:

Last edited:
Lol

When I said a
Sleeves I meant the type that just cover your arm or arms.

My kid grabbed a set the last time the snap on truck was at the shop

But I'm sure you can get em any where.

Powered air filtered welding hood is pretty great, get a nice steady breeze blowing across your face.

I use a box fan on high pulling the sparks and spatter away from me while I weld in a T-shirt and shorts. :laughing:

If you don't like that solution because you want to use mig well maybe you should learn how to weld instead of just holding down a button.

if you don't like that solution because you want to use tig stop being an idiot and wasting everyone's time welding an inch an hour.

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I use a box fan on high pulling the sparks and spatter away from me while I weld in a T-shirt and shorts. :laughing:

If you don't like that solution because you want to use mig well maybe you should learn how to weld instead of just holding down a button.

if you don't like that solution because you want to use tig stop being an idiot and wasting everyone's time welding an inch an hour.

:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

It ain't the spatter or fumes that's the problem it's the damn sunburn :flipoff2:

They call the mig an idiot stick for a reason and I resemble that remark :homer: :lmao:

At home I wear a t shirt, pants, and boots. At work I wear a t shirt, pants, boots, and sometimes a pair of flexo gloves. If it's cold out I have a hoodie on.

Arse sideward is jealous he can only afford a $200 Craigslist tombstone welder. I built my last truck in nothing but board shorts and flip flops. I was already sunburned due to being haole in the South Pacific. :flipoff2:

I usually just wear a t-shirt or maybe a button up. Eventually your skin gets used to it and it's a nonissue. I've been building this pipe fence without a shirt a lot lately. Stick welding is a bit harder to deal with than mig. But meh.

It ain't the spatter or fumes that's the problem it's the damn sunburn :flipoff2:

They call the mig an idiot stick for a reason and I resemble that remark :homer: :lmao:

Just get some vitamins E in liquid form and smear it all over your burns. You'll be fine.

I have to wear pants and boots for work so I'm used to them enough to not mess with shorts after hours or on weekends. I'll tack in a tee shirt but anything more gets an old worn out cotton flannel shirt and a pair of thin leather gloves. There's a desk fan on the workbench and if you aim it at your face it doesn't mess with the mig gas too bad

Powered air filtered welding hood is pretty great, get a nice steady breeze blowing across your face.
The first time I sandblasted outside at a commercial blaster it was about 90* or so and I had to wear coveralls. I thought I was going to melt until I put on the ventilated hood, damn near froze to death

Arse sideward is jealous he can only afford a $200 Craigslist tombstone welder. I built my last truck in nothing but board shorts and flip flops. I was already sunburned due to being haole in the South Pacific. :flipoff2:

I have a Mig setup I've only ever run flux core through and all the shit I need to do TIG with my engine driven welder. Fuck welding with gas. :flipoff2:

5 sticks of rod for welding cast iron I used welding jaws onto a antique vise some one threw away sunburnt the shit out of my inner left arm the other day. I really didn't expect that. It doesnt get that hot here so I easily could have worn a long sleeve T shirt but didn't think it was necessary. I have some cheapo welding sleeves I got at Harbor freight I could have worn too but didn't expect what happened. That definitely seemed to burn me a lot quicker than MIG welding does. I MIG welded a snowmobile dolly up earlier in the week and didn't wear gloves at all and never felt any burn on my hands. It was chilly enough when I did that I was wearing a hoody. Where I live is colder than 90 percent of the earth year round I think.:homer:

nobody mention sunscreen?

when its hot i'm in a a cut off tee, anything more than tack and fit i spray on some screen. i have aerosol cans of spf70 or more in all my work rigs and the shop. i'll burn if i dont, my skin doesn't get used to it.

Some excellent advice/personal experience in this thread! :beer:

Prudence the safety nanny has many safeguards in place out in the industry

... many folks in the industry ignore them,of course

...most folks in hobby shops don't know about them

The results can be ... unfortunate ...

Here's a peer reviewed study on the topic that may be of interest to a few of you so you can make up your own mind on what precautions you need to take to protect yourself

Last edited:
Just get some vitamins E in liquid form and smear it all over your burns./QUOTE]

May I suggest mixing Aloe in it? Should speed up healing.

I have an old Cintas jacket that I wear if I go to town-

Some excellent advice/personal experience in this thread! :beer:

Prudence the safety nanny has many safeguards in place out in the industry

... many folks in the industry ignore them,of course

...most folks in hobby shops don't know about them

The results can be ... unfortunate ...

Here's a peer reviewed study on the topic that may be of interest to a few of you so you can make up your own mind on what precautions you need to take to protect yourself

If you want to derail discussions bu virtue signaling about how important safety is then fuck off to Reddit where that is appreciated and let the adults discuss building 4x4s in peace. The kinds of precautions that someone welding/fabricating as a hobby needs to take to reduce their exposure are much less than someone who's doing it 40+hr a week as a job. Same goes with paint, automotive chemicals, oil and everything else this hobby exposes you too.

You people act like one weld without long sleeves is gonna give you skin cancer or one dry cut with the concrete saw is gonna give you silicosis when that's just not the case.

If you want to derail discussions bu virtue signaling about how important safety is then fuck off to Reddit where that is appreciated and let the adults discuss building 4x4s in peace. The kinds of precautions that someone welding/fabricating as a hobby needs to take to reduce their exposure are much less than someone who's doing it 40+hr a week as a job. Same goes with paint, automotive chemicals, oil and everything else this hobby exposes you too.

You people act like one weld without long sleeves is gonna give you skin cancer or one dry cut with the concrete saw is gonna give you silicosis when that's just not the case.

By "you people",do you mean folks who got skin cancer from exposure to uvc,?

Because you got me there

I got skin cancer from exposure to uvc

By "you people",do you mean folks who got skin cancer from exposure to uvc,?

Because you got me there

I got skin cancer from exposure to uvc

No, I mean "you people" who derail every conversation with bulllshit about safety. Every mention of a screwdriver is not an opportunity for to preach about how everyone should wear safety glasses while operating a screwdriver. Every mention of an angle grinder does not need to be accompanied by you telling us that you shouldn't use them to file your nails because your uncle lost a toe that way. Frequently welding without PPE is a bad idea, duh. That's the implicit assumption of this whole thread. If it wasn't a bad idea people wouldn't be asking what kind of PPE for hot weather. A couple tacs didn't give you cancer. Getting cancer doesn't make you an expert on the subject of not getting it, if anything I'd say it's the opposite.

Top Back Refresh