What's new

Hot water recirculation pump

Pyleit

Member Number
Need a pump to recirculate water from water heater. House is plumbed for it, yet there is not one installed. Anyone have experience with these and can reccomend a reliable quality brand? Thanks

Grundfos is pretty standard I think.

UPS-25-100-180-inline-circulator-pump_f5c0ac2e-f338-4aee-bca6-59a8cc9188d5_grande.jpg

3 replies and 3 different pumps! No background or stories as to why you guys like said brands?

If this is potable instant hot water at point of use you need a brass or stainless pump. You don't want a standard cast iron heating circ pump. I'm assuming from your description that's what your looking for.

Bell and Gossett has been around for 104 years and is used in most commercial applications.

I have run all three mentioned in multiple facilities. I have had issues with all of them, but its commercial and they all see quite a bit of use.

I have a grundfoss in our house. Its quiet and has had no issues.

how do you plan to control it? Thermal well and temp switch? Time clock? Building controls?

If this is potable instant hot water at point of use you need a brass or stainless pump. You don't want a standard cast iron heating circ pump. I'm assuming from your description that's what your looking for.

Yes, it is for the house water heater. Take 4.5 mins for the far bathroom to get warm water. 3 mins for the master shower. Would like to use the recirculation pump to not have to run the water so long waiting for warmth.

I ASSume it has controls built in or on?

Yes, it is for the house water heater. Take 4.5 mins for the far bathroom to get warm water. 3 mins for the master shower. Would like to use the recirculation pump to not have to run the water so long waiting for warmth.

This is something I need but will never get around to doing. .75 dia lines 100' away takes a while. Maybe I'll ditch this low flow shower head instead. :laughing:

Are all the hot lines insulates and plumbed to benefit from the recirc?

That is a good point....

I live in a rancher that is just under 3000 sq/ft with a circulating pump. The pump has a programmable mechanical 24 hour timer attached to the side of it. What I have discovered; the circulator when running will cause the hot water heater to work overtime. Being fueled by propane, this was a suckie situation. My solution to making this work for me is a couple of "smart plugs" and a night light. One "smart plug" is for the pump; the other is for the night light/indicator that is located on the kitchen island. Both smart plugs are triggered by "Ok Google; turn on hot water" or "Ok Google; turn off hot water". The pump timer was set to continuous on. I can get hot water to the kitchen in 60 seconds; master bath <90 seconds.
I basically run the pump for about a minuet and command it off. The light on the kitchen island lets me know if someone forgot to turn off the pump. :homer:

Last edited:
Take a look at the under sink ones. They can be set for temp and time. They don't move a ton of water so you are not doing more heating than needed. Or a standard pump with a aqua stat and a timer

No fucking way??? You need to insolate or something.. You live in a giant house with 1/4" pipe? :confused:

No fucking way??? You need to insolate or something.. You live in a giant house with 1/4" pipe? :confused:

It's not for my house, I am just the one buying and installing in my moms new place. The sellers took the pump off and capped lines when they left... Those are her stated times, I'll head over today and do a actual time run and report back. Will order a pump today.

It's not for my house, I am just the one buying and installing in my moms new place. The sellers took the pump off and capped lines when they left... Those are her stated times, I'll head over today and do a actual time run and report back. Will order a pump today.

I highly doubt it takes that long. I'd definitely look into insulating and upsizing pipe if possible. Around here Grundfos is a good pump.

i'll bet they did that for a reason. i have a recirc pump for my 1000sq ft home, and if its left on 24/7 like all that i've come accross you'll notice it on your power bills. and yes my home is plumbed and insulated correctly for recirc. it was a while back but i figurered it added around 30$/month to the power bill. i ended up getting a remote switch for the power outlet and have one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. so if your going to use hot water just hit the switch and hot water is there in no time.

also one thing to consider is if the recirc on the house was isolated when the pump removed. if not done right that can also lead to longer wait times for hot water.

fwiw. my place has a grundfog (sp?) pump on it for 20years. its almost the same but smaller than what most of the commercial buildings use around here.

Would it need to be stainless? Seems like a cast iron housing pump would continually put rust into your lines? They are fine on a closed system like a boiler which is what I think they are intended to be used with.

Top Back Refresh