What's new

Hot/Spicy Sauces

Will Scarlet

The universe is vast...
Member Number
Bottled, jarred, or homemade, post up what you like. And if it's homemade, be sure to include the recipe.

Be sure to thank dwygrsshpr for the idea of this thread.

We already have several threads on hot sauces. Search god damnit

Reactions: Clb
Chopped peppers, garlic, peppercorns into a jar, cover with 3% salt brine, keep the air out and everything submerged, let stink in the basement for a few weeks, strain, blend, add back brine and some vinegar til it pours good, dun.

Following YZRider, here is another write up from a good friend....

And here is one of the Hot Sauce threads. I am into heat but I prefer flavor so proceed at your own risk

Attachments

• Hot Sauce Knowledge.pdf
    308.2 KB · Views: 10
Chopped peppers, garlic, peppercorns into a jar, cover with 3% salt brine, keep the air out and everything submerged, let stink in the basement for a few weeks, strain, blend, add back brine and some vinegar til it pours good, dun.
This:smokin:

Attachments

• 20231204_102243.jpg
    20231204_102243.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231204_121222.jpg
    20231204_121222.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231119_102424.jpg
    20231119_102424.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231121_101846.jpg
    20231121_101846.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Following YZRider, here is another write up from a good friend....

And here is one of the Hot Sauce threads. I am into heat but I prefer flavor so proceed at your own risk

I leave the seeds in, youre supposed to get more heat that way, but I just dont wanna bother picking them out. Also the lacto ferment only works for a few days, never went more than a month or so, dunno what 2-3 years does, but I'm not much of a Tabasco fan. Probably some flavor development like with sauerkraut. And once you go past habanero youre transitioning into tasting heat over flavor.

Look up ricer as in separate the tomatoes seeds from the sauce

I leave the seeds in, youre supposed to get more heat that way, but I just dont wanna bother picking them out. Also the lacto ferment only works for a few days, never went more than a month or so, dunno what 2-3 years does, but I'm not much of a Tabasco fan. Probably some flavor development like with sauerkraut. And once you go past habanero youre transitioning into tasting heat over flavor.
It's actually the whitish membrane that the seeds cling to that brings more of the heat. And the ferment will last as long as there is enough nutrients (sugars) for the bacteria to consume. It's like in beer fermentation, the yeast will consume all the sugars until they flocculate and fall out of suspension - the trick to making higher ABV beers is to keep adding sugars and yeasts that can withstand the increasingly higher ethanol fraction.

Ageing can do wonders for most fermentations, which is why you rest dough for several hours to overnight to days. In the case of bread, it's to increase the C02 to make a lighter, fluffier loaf (ie the rise); in the case of beer and wine, and in this case hot sauce, it's to mellow out harsher flavors over longer time spans.

An awesome tool to make removing seeds easy is a citrus/grapefruit spoon: Cut the pepper in half lengthwise and just zip the spoon down the middle. Some seeds still remain so I'm not too picky about 100% removal.

This is a very good article that covers a lot of the basics with some good food science:

Look up ricer as in separate the tomatoes seeds from the sauce
I am not sure that will work as that is done after the tomatoes have been cooked/stewed to soften. I've used both a ricer and a food mill for both tomato sauce and applesauce to remove both seeds and skins. It would certainly have to be done after the food processing step and I would think it would have to be a pretty liquidy slurry to work.

Worth giving it a shot as I have a ricer (for making Spaetzle) but got rid of my mom's food mill forever ago as it's a one trick pony and takes up a lot of room!

I didn't pay attention to the consistency of the meat after the brine/ferment as I just blender it.

Could be worth a shot.

I bet it would work out with a light ricer setting. grandma's unit had a threaded spring pressure fitting on the blade.
Cuz nobody has time to hand separate things...

I may be confused, but we may just be using different terminology. To me a ricer is like a press (think garlic press or citrus press) and a food mill has a crank you turn that drives blades to push the material through a screen (that can be changed depending on need). If you ever want a full arm workout, trying making applesauce all day :laughing:

I love kitchen tools - especially the ones that have been used for decades/generations (not into fancy whiz-bang gadgets).

PS - I can't wait for my first batch of peppers now (going to be several months though.....)

Last edited:
Yes sir
I've got the big spinny one you linked.
Grandma called it a ricer:laughing:
But her was 100% Sicily

Top Back Refresh