What's new

Hooligan’s 2012 Ram build/assembly

Consensus on Patagonia is good for off-road while they they last, they just don’t last. Internet and product reviews are all over the place, even for Toyo and Nitto.

this is a weekend only fun vehicle\ Home Depot runs. So, 12,000 miles is like 3 years, which is fine. Gives me a chance to change tires, if they lasted 50k I’d have them forever. This also has the gas engine, so there is 1,000 less pounds on the front compared to the Diesel.

This truck is gigantic, my prior wheeler was an 83 Toyota truck!
But the kids are much bigger now:grinpimp:.
Nice to see some new full size duilds

You’re pretty close on your 9,000 guess I’d bet. Last time I scaled my truck it was right at 8,500lbs. It’s a 2018 short bed 2500 cummins. 37s, a toolbox full of shit and my 200 lb ass.

Hmmm, this is new. Haven’t seen this leak before.

Is there an easy seal to replace? Or impossible to find , or just easier to source a JY box and replace it? B0CB0EB1-317C-4E94-A49B-2E53D396ED9E.jpeg F00D5447-0135-431A-A12C-4A944EB12BB2.jpeg

Tomorrow will do the pitman seal. Today’s task was the exhaust manifolds. Pulled them Thursday then had them surfaced. Using a ruler as a ’straightish’ edge the manifolds were noticeable warped, ruler rocked end to end. Local Carquest has a place to send them still , $100 and a day later they were back. Will be a sad day when all the machine shops are gone 😩

Driver side had one broken stud. I considered one of the Lisle drill kits, but they are $120, and shouldn’t ever need again….and the ease in which the other bolts removed, I went free hand. Took time but was successful.
A4D0E490-443B-4A14-82F1-E9EB5B498261.jpeg

The new manifolds use longer bolts and spreader bars across the top and bottom to help with the warping. They have gone through several different revisions and so far none really seem to work very well. So far mine are ok, but I only have 46k on mine. ::knock on wood::

Definitely not my area of knowledge, read the primary reason for warping was the aluminum heads and cast exhaust. The manifolds sure seem light weight.

Overall, the job wasn’t too bad. It could be very sucky depending on which bolts the warping manifold breaks. Kind surprised to see such small bolts and studs used. Bolts were 10mm head, so like 8 mm body?

Got the pitman arm seal done. The hardest part was the snap ring. Getting the new seals set required some fancy work. The spindle is long enough that the usual of a deep well socket didn’t work. Searching the house, found a 1.5“ pvc connector was almost perfect. Quick trip to the precision lathe and it worked .
ED3DD407-6331-4C05-A006-D47379A29F78.jpeg

A4F17F72-57C8-4AE8-9C86-42EF0161E9AE.jpeg

Spent some time last weekend doing ball joints, went with EMF . First , the axle nut is 1 11/16, or 43MM.

This took some effort, in physical strength to hand wrench them in, and mental to get the puzzle of the press just right.

The trick on mine was to get the press on, impact it, then smack the press screw to jar the joint. It would move a bit, then repeat until,it was fully out.

Old ones- there is a video in Newb section in the ball joint thread. They moved up/down like 1/8” or more. Truck has 140k, no idea if they’ve ever been changed.

438DF47E-0D02-4CF5-91FE-DEDDCB8902F1.jpeg
D0D7CEE5-103F-42D5-8F8F-BBCF3C0D8262.jpeg

On both uppers, I managed to bungle the threads by mashing them against the press. On passenger I was able to fix the threads and run it. On driver, thought I’d be smart and install the nut since I can learn. Well…that didn’t help. I was unable to fix the driver threads. Ordered a repair kit ($72) which has a new stem. Cuz I learn, I installed the BJ with the jacked threads since replacing the stem can be done with the joint in place. That way I didn’t run the risk of jacking the threads on the new one. This pic has the mangled threads.

Yes, I anti-seize the shit out of everything.

C464E9B5-5505-4906-B9D6-91B624E4F5AA.jpeg

Here is after video, showing no movement. On test drive the “bounce” is gone, before it was very noticeable at 60-65mph. Felt like tires were oscillating.

I can look at the box if you need to know, but I had an Astro brand press. Bought it who knows how long ago, didn’t even realize I had it. Don’t know if I ever used it before.

On the upper BJ, had a struggle getting them in square. I know a few times I didn’t and pulled them back out to retry.

Here is a pic of the press after this job, definitely put a strain on it to get it bent . That might have affected getting them in square, since the press was out of whack.
9E22814A-4231-40E1-9606-475EA75F60E9.jpeg

Top Back Refresh