What's new

honor box farm stand

jeeptj19992001

land of milk and honey
Member Number
Loc
land of milk and honey
going to do an sweet corn, corn stalk , indian corn and pumpkin sales this fall. need to work my real job, so only there nights and weekends.
i have brought from them, and am honest for payment.

going to bolt the payment box with lock . we know locks keep out honest people.
thinking i might add a camera.

got a neighbor across the street that is always on the look out.
i am thinking, about a 1/4 or less will be stolen.

what do you ll think....
anyone else do this?

We have done it here in rural NY state...just a jar with a lid so the customer could make his own change. Maybe got ripped off for a few bucks over several years..But we were only doing 10 bucks a day...

My friend tried that with maple syrup. It lasted 2 days before some dick stole everything including the stand he got from the dump.

I'ts fairly common out here in Mad County. Most people are decent and honest

Good luck. I hope it works. Things like that always help me build faith in others, which I hold very little of.

I've always thought of those as a thing you do for the neighbors and they chip in a few bucks for a thank you. Not something I would go into to make money

what's his name in alaska that was always selling wood claimed to only have had a handful of thefts using the honor system for firewood over the course of several years and was doing it as a full time proposition.

full stand getting ripped off in 2 days is pretty wild :eek: county or somebody who found him in permit violation maybe?

All I know is New Yawk is full of crooks and mob. The mob will probably shake you down for a percentage.

I've always thought of those as a thing you do for the neighbors and they chip in a few bucks for a thank you. Not something I would go into to make money

most of what i sell is what i will plow into the ground.
for some reason woman love bundles of corn stalks tied together.
5 stalks tied together fetches 15$ 3 ears of indian corn tied together gets 10$.
people from the suburbs.
got an acre of sunflowers planted.
when i tell women at work about them,they ask if they can take pictures of them.

5 stalks tied together fetches 15$ 3 ears of indian corn tied together gets 10$.
people from the suburbs.
when i tell women at work about them,they ask if they can take pictures of them.

huh, wow.

that seems like stuff that would be easier to sell at the fair, do you get enough touristy type traffic or suburban traffic through your area?

people from the suburbs.

There’s good money in those items. The big thing around us now is big pumpkin farms with maize mazes, petting zoos, food stands, craft barns, etc. Those places are packed every weekend in the fall. Women pay out the ass for Indian corn and corn stalks. It’s crazy.

As for the honor box question, years ago my ex-BIL sold firewood in the summer for campers on the honor system with a half dozen or so stands scattered around the area. He had very little loss.

:usa:

​​​​​​Good luck on being a roadside stand entrepreneur.

How about selling eggs?

:stirthepot: don't forget the "back door corn mash drinks"-
​​​​

Doesn't surprise me, maple syrup is a high value item that keeps well. Tomatoes on the other hand:laughing:

My friend tried that with maple syrup. It lasted 2 days before some dick stole everything including the stand he got from the dump.

full stand getting ripped off in 2 days is pretty wild :eek: county or somebody who found him in permit violation maybe?

Half the white trash in the northeast is the children of former city slickers who raised them with those values. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

going to do an sweet corn, corn stalk , indian corn and pumpkin sales this fall. need to work my real job, so only there nights and weekends.
i have brought from them, and am honest for payment.

going to bolt the payment box with lock . we know locks keep out honest people.
thinking i might add a camera.

got a neighbor across the street that is always on the look out.
i am thinking, about a 1/4 or less will be stolen.

what do you ll think....
anyone else do this?

I seen a few of the "honor boxes" and from what I've seen most work fairly well. There's one in Borrego Springs for citrus fruit at the traffic circle and there was one for firewood in Fawnskin, Ca.
The firewood box was open, no lock when I stopped. It was $5/bundle and I didn't have the change, so I opened it and I couldn't make the correct change so I went and knocked on the guys door
so I could do so. I've found that the huge majority of people are honest.

Do you have a hot sister, a friend named Daryl and another friend named Dan? End of the laneway, don't come up on the property.

Top Back Refresh