What's new

Honda Talon oil changes

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
Honda recommends every 600 miles.

600 off road miles has to be way different than 600 on road miles, right?

600 miles is like 4-5 days of usage, so if I follow Honda's recommendation I will be changing the oil like 5 times a month.

What would you do?

My feelings are I should be able to double it to 1,200 miles pretty safely as these things are not being driven hard, nothing like if they were being off roaded all day.

However, it is a wet clutch and the clutch is bathed with the crankcase oil.

Thoughts on this?

My .02 cents...

Following the Honda service intervals and having proof of it happening on time is the only way they are going to honor any sort of warranty work that may come up, especially engine/trans and sub-trans related issues.

Go on Ebay and buy the factory Honda filter/oil kits for there. Thats were I found them the cheapest.

Your already skating a thin line with them being rental units and Honda not knowing. Don't give them any unnecessary ammo to hold against you at a further date.

Looks like two cartridge filters and 7 quarts of 10w30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Honda-...-/223535491998

I went to searching and it seems like 1200mi/100hrs was the general consensus. Sounds about right to me.

Thanks man, that is what I was thinking. My buddy who has a bigger company with 30 units goes with 100 hours changes.

My .02 cents...

Following the Honda service intervals and having proof of it happening on time is the only way they are going to honor any sort of warranty work that may come up, especially engine/trans and sub-trans related issues.

Go on Ebay and buy the factory Honda filter/oil kits for there. Thats were I found them the cheapest.

Your already skating a thin line with them being rental units and Honda not knowing. Don't give them any unnecessary ammo to hold against you at a further date.

I really doubt that Honda is going to warranty shit on them, I am hopeful, but once they see the miles on it they will know whats up.

Thanks man, that is what I was thinking. My buddy who has a bigger company with 30 units goes with 100 hours changes.

I really doubt that Honda is going to warranty shit on them, I am hopeful, but once they see the miles on it they will know whats up.

1200 miles is reasonable, 100 hrs is not. @ a 55mph average speed thats 5,500 miles. Seems excessive for a high strung engine like the Talon has. Even in auto mode it still winds up before it shifts. In sport/auto it pretty much shifts at redline.

I don't predict you to have any issues with these if properly maintained. There of a much better quality than the other offerings, and Honda did alot of homework before they decided to release a sport SxS to market.

Side note: Keep an eye on the rear CV joints. There have been several complaints about the joints in the rear wearing out quickly and starting to make the CV joint popping noise like FWD cars. There are a few aftermarket companies making replacement shafts that hold up better and are fairly inexpensive.

Another thing to look at is the center drive shaft U joints. Apparently the clips can fall out and cause the caps to depart from the joint causing a bunch of problems. Honda will tell you they are not replaceable and you must buy a whole new shaft. I personally tack welded mine in to avoid the problem but some guys on the Honda SxS Club site have reported finding a NAPA brand U Joint to replace the factory joint. If i come across that # again I will post it up for you.

Btw..... I still want to go for a visit and rent that blue bug for the day. Thst thing is cool looking! :smokin:

1200 miles is reasonable, 100 hrs is not. @ a 55mph average speed thats 5,500 miles. Seems excessive for a high strung engine like the Talon has. Even in auto mode it still winds up before it shifts. In sport/auto it pretty much shifts at redline.

I don't predict you to have any issues with these if properly maintained. There of a much better quality than the other offerings, and Honda did alot of homework before they decided to release a sport SxS to market.

Side note: Keep an eye on the rear CV joints. There have been several complaints about the joints in the rear wearing out quickly and starting to make the CV joint popping noise like FWD cars. There are a few aftermarket companies making replacement shafts that hold up better and are fairly inexpensive.

Another thing to look at is the center drive shaft U joints. Apparently the clips can fall out and cause the caps to depart from the joint causing a bunch of problems. Honda will tell you they are not replaceable and you must buy a whole new shaft. I personally tack welded mine in to avoid the problem but some guys on the Honda SxS Club site have reported finding a NAPA brand U Joint to replace the factory joint. If i come across that # again I will post it up for you.

Btw..... I still want to go for a visit and rent that blue bug for the day. Thst thing is cool looking! :smokin:

thanks for the info. I would love that part number if you find it.

If you come down let me know, I am taking the Blue Buggy out of the rental fleet but I am keeping it around.

If you come down let me know, I am taking the Blue Buggy out of the rental fleet but I am keeping it around.

May I ask why? IMO that thing is cool as fuck and just has that "look" to it. :smokin: I kinda figured it would be one of, if not your top rentals.

I honestly don't get the infatuation with wanting to pay to drive a SxS on the street completely out of its element, but if it pays the bills.... Fuck it, take the money and run! :laughing:

I wouldn't know, I haven't made it to 600 miles yet :shaking:​​​​​​

How has that thing not been taken back by Honda under some lemon law yet???

You are literally the one person in all of internet land that has had that many repeat problems with a Talon. If i were in your shoes and didn't want to take the leaky gas can over the hot exhaust route, I'd have a very detailed thread about all my Talon issues on every Honda SxS site, The dealers review page, FB, IG and every other place I could think of placing it until Honda or the dealer that sold it to you took it back and swapped it out for a new one. Being nice gets you nowhere nowadays.

So the fancy Honda computer does not have an algorithm using torgue, speed and time to tell you when to do maintenance?

I'm *only* on the 2nd sub trans failure.

I had a bunch of threads on honda sxs, but the mod deleted all but 1 or 2 saying I had too many going. :rolleyes: well I had one for each issue douchebag. That and all the nut singers on there get absurdly butt hurt when someone isn't sucking Hondas cock.

I wanted it to go away but the wife freaked out and said she would contact honda corporate or whatever. It's at the dealer now, God knows what those idiots are doing.

May I ask why? IMO that thing is cool as fuck and just has that "look" to it. :smokin: I kinda figured it would be one of, if not your top rentals.

I honestly don't get the infatuation with wanting to pay to drive a SxS on the street completely out of its element, but if it pays the bills.... Fuck it, take the money and run! :laughing:

I am limited to how many vehicles I can have by the city, while I love the buggy and it does ok as for $$, what I am replacing it with blows it out of the water.

Once I buy this building I will be able to have more cars and it will be back.

If you knew how much money the SxS's bring in you would be really surprised.

Put it this way, if the Talon makes it 2 months I am good. I am sure it will last much longer than that.

I agree with you, I think they are stupid. But they rent like crazy.

Last edited:
I am limited to how many vehicles I can have by the city, while I love the buggy and it does ok as for $$, what I am replacing it with blows it out of the water.

Once I buy this building I will be able to have more cars and it will be back.

Put it this way, if the Talon makes it 2 months I am good. I am sure it will last much longer than that.

Around these parts a 1000 RZR will set you back about $350 beans for a day. The rental company has somewhat of a 24-48 hours to determine if any damage to the SXS has occurred. When I rent (and I don't rent often) I load up on insurance!
Peeps are fucking stupid when they get behind the wheel of a SBS! I am lucky in that I have a neighbor that is well versed in the SXS scene and is willing to be a tour guide for me when I have newbs from other spaces.

Crispins; you could have a leg up on your competition if you had some major accarage for an SXS playground. Make sure you have plenty of mud holes and a $100 fee to clean off the mud for the win. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

IMHO: You have a major liability issue. Go offshore should shit go sideways (i.e injury lawsuit). :stirthepot:

Last edited:

I wouldnt be surprised, local beach town rents golf carts for $100 a day.

I can't even imagine how you are liability insured. I wonder if you honestly researched a liability company that will actually pay a claim on someone who rents a SXS and plows it under a truck. I still wish you all the best but I hope you did your homework on that issue, because I feel that denials would be how a company like State Farm would handle it.

Other than that, it sounds fun and I would definitely rent an SXS for the road. The attraction is very simple: it is a small, open vehicle and those are attractive things. Look at the Ariel Atom or any other sort of 'track day' car, or the popularity and love of old Minis, TVRs, and Healeys. Small, light vehicles on the road are a fucking blast. I have no idea why anyone would be mystified by that.

I bet you really do rent them like hotcakes. That's a novel thing people do on vacation to a redneck wonderland like that neck of Tennessee.

Top Back Refresh