What's new

Homemade saurkraut

Toyoda

Member Number
Anyone have any experience with making their own sauerkraut. Looks easy, but I'm not finding what to use to flavor it with.
I got a good deal on the 32oz mason jars.

You do not flavor it. It ferments. My family been making it for 100 years.
Polish solvick heritage

We never wrote down the recipe.
We also use crocks in the root cellar.
Cabbage, spices - salt, juniper berries, caraway seed, muster seed, vinegar and time.
Cabbage must be under the vinegar the whole time.

Yoz can just use salt.

Last edited:
No recipe, but I'd never tried it before until 30 years ago an old man that we did some work for at the shop gave some to the boss before our christmas party. It was the most vile disgusting shit I'd ever smelled. They finally got me to try some after a few beers. I have no idea how something that smells so bad can taste so good. Been a fan ever since.

My grandma on dad’s side used to make it. She would prep it, then put it on a shelf in the garage for 3-4 weeks.

Now I want a polish dog with kraut 🤤

* added to tomorrow’s grocery list

I was planning on the mason jar fermentation. I was trying to find what to put with it to play with the flavor, dillweed, peppers, etc.

GF clings to her Czech heritage pretty hard, we prefer it in 16oz jars, it's just enough for 2 people to cook up with some links.

We shred the cabbage using a food processor and salt it in those plastic tubs for meat processing. We add a couple of cloves of garlic to each jar and then hit half of them with some jalapeno slivers and the other half with dill.

GF clings to her Czech heritage pretty hard, we prefer it in 16oz jars, it's just enough for 2 people to cook up with some links.

We shred the cabbage using a food processor and salt it in those plastic tubs for meat processing. We add a couple of cloves of garlic to each jar and then hit half of them with some jalapeno slivers and the other half with dill.
Awesome, that's what I was leaning towards.
Gonna be a saturday morning project, have some kraut to try by the end of the week.

I'd be really surprised if you've got it ready to try by the end of the week, we typically make it around labor day so it's ready to gift at Christmas.

Yep, 3-4 times a year. We took a class put on by the local food co-op (hippie store) many years ago and have been making it ever since. Have even started making our own Kimchi too.

We make it in a 3 gallon pickle crock for small batches and 6 gal crocks for the big batches. Once fermented it goes into quart jars and then into the garage fridge.

Read on the interwebs that the golden ratio for salt to veggies is 2.25 to 2.5% salt by weight. We just go by taste, it should taste like salty potato chips. If you don't use enough salt, the cabbage gets soft. And it could go bad. Too much salt and it's just salty.

Have the majority of the veggies be cabbage of one form or another, the rest can be any other veggies. Then add you favorite spices. I add radish, onions, carrots and sometimes garlic and hot peppers. Fermenting can really intensify the flavors, so if using garlic or hot peppers, don't add much.

Awesome, that's what I was leaning towards.
Gonna be a saturday morning project, have some kraut to try by the end of the week.

Mine usually takes 3-4 weeks before it is ready to start sampling and continues to get better after that.

I'd be really surprised if you've got it ready to try by the end of the week, we typically make it around labor day so it's ready to gift at Christmas.

3 month ferment, wow.

Cabbage and salt.
A buddy of mine brews his kraut in HDPE 10 gallon pickle brining drums.
After the duration of fermentation he vacuumbags it to sell in his country store.

Hillbilly Polocks ❤️🇺🇸🔥

Top Back Refresh