What's new

Homemade B&T VP9 style pistol?

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I want something similar to this for carrying in the woods and other places I’d like to be able to dispatch nuisance animals quietly. However I’m not going to pay $2,500 for one.

It‘s a simple enough design to make me think about building one, I don’t care about it being a “clone”, but I don’t have a lathe any more and my mill has been torn apart for years.

9mm AR barrels are readily and cheaply available, and already threaded for a suppressor, so that’s easy enough.

Barrel extension diameter is just under 1.000”, meaning 1 1/4” x 0.120” wall DOM tubing would work perfectly for the “receiver”.

I think a “drop in” style AR trigger would be the easiest to deal with from a packaging standpoint, tons of them out there obviously.

I’ve got a 6rd magazine for my P938 that I’ll never use in that gun as I prefer the 7rd ones, seems easy enough to extend a ”grip” on it.

So I’m left with attaching the barrel to the receiver, plug welds?

I need a “bolt“ of some type to house the firing pin, extractor, and ejector. My thought is the bolt would rotate and lock closed into a notch in the receiver, you’d unlock it and pull it back to eject the case, bolt dragging backwards over the hammer would reset it into the trigger, and allow a round to pop up in the magazine to be chambered.

The nice thing about a 1.01” ID receiver is there are a lot of bushing and DOM tubing sizes that should allow me to reduce sizes fairly easily.

Need to play with designing that bolt, but what else am I missing?

There are also 9mm AR bolts obviously, but I don’t know if it would work well enough with mild mods to be worth using.

What about adding a slide lock and suppressor to an existing 9mm pistol. Do those work?

Interesting. There is a discussion on ar15.com (yeah, yeah I know) about this very subject. Mayhap you will get some inspiration from it:

if you're concerned about quiet and are hackfucking something together on your own, why a 4.5" barrel instead of something like 20"?
if suppressing you want a 2" barrel so 115gr is subsonic

little blowback shits are dirt simple, you want a bolt that weighs about 1lb for 9x19
AK trigger packs are dirt simple to make the holes for and most people got a few laying around from 922r bullshit

if you're concerned about quiet and are hackfucking something together on your own, why a 4.5" barrel instead of something like 20"?
if suppressing you want a 2" barrel so 115gr is subsonic

little blowback shits are dirt simple, you want a bolt that weighs about 1lb for 9x19
AK trigger packs are dirt simple to make the holes for and most people got a few laying around from 922r bullshit
I want to be able to carry it like a pistol, in a holster, not going to be concealed though. It will be suppressed, I’ve got a Dead Air Wolfman which has a ton of volume and can run a wipe. I have a decent stockpile of 147 gr subs as fhe result of buying a CZ scorpion thanks to Biden, so I’m not worried about 115’s. The 4.5” barrel length is really just based on whats available with existing threads, and should be just long enough to burn most of the powder.

Not really interested in a semi auto as the intent of this thing it to be quiet. If the manual repeater option turns out to be too much of a PITA, I could do a break barrel, but I don’t see it being much harder to implement.

FWIW, this thing is about 50% to serve an actual purpose of shootings raccoons, coyotes, armadillos, snakes, etc at rather close ranges, and 50% for the fun of building something myself.

I’ve found .22’s, even .22 WMR’s aren’t super effective at killing stuff quickly, even with point blank shots. It will diss, but it runs, flops, thrashes, etc. I’m hoping a heavier slug will drop stuff with more authority.

Barrel nut like an UZI?

Never handled an UZI, looked them up and it’s basically the same as an AR. It would work fine except for the me lacking a lathe part. There’s really no reason for the barrel to be removable, and technically I’d imaging a couple set screws would hold it in place when you actually think about the forces involved, but I’d prefer something more secure.

if you're fine with it being a single shot without a mag, an open bolt single shot would be the easiest solution by far
just have a sear notch that's like 1/4" out of battery so the lock time isn't as horrid and the round in the chamber doesn't fall out all the time
prob wouldn't even be louder than a hammer fired turnbolt

Could you just start with one of those altor pistols and build a can on it?

Could you just start with one of those altor pistols and build a can on it?
I just found them looking for single shot pistols that would work, but they have some type of hokey ass safety and trigger deal that appears to make it almost useless.

I just found them looking for single shot pistols that would work, but they have some type of hokey ass safety and trigger deal that appears to make it almost useless.
I mean they are complete pieces of crap. Doesn't stop me from wanting one and making really dumb caliber barrels for it

I mean they are complete pieces of crap. Doesn't stop me from wanting one and making really dumb caliber barrels for it
Yeah, I am surprised there’s not a somewhat modern single shot pistol out there like a break barrel shotgun with a hammer, like a flare pistol. Or even how the single shot .22’s operate where you manually cock the firing pin.

Yes, I’ve seen the shortened CVA and T/C “pistols” that are just shortened rifles, but nothing you’d want to carry in a holster.

Mount the barrel via a V block (like a 10/22)?

Top Back Refresh