What's new

Home/shop stereo spin-offish

DWT

Dirty White Trash
Member Number
Loc
Eastern WA
I've been wanting to build a big stupid stereo system for parties and generally causing myself to go deaf prematurely. Nothing off the shelf will do what I want without being silly expensive so I'm looking at cheapish rack mounted amps and building my own speaker enclosures.

I'm looking at amazon chinesium rack mounted amps, probably 2-300 watts for the mid bass/mids and maybe horns if standard tweeters don't handle the highs and at least 1k watts for the subs driven by a preamp mixer board. I've found most of what I want for speakers from skar, I have a pair of their subs in my DD and they've takes nearly 3x their rated rms like a fucking champ so I figure I'll give them a chance for home stuff too.

I'm thinking something like a pair of 6.5" mids and 1" tweeters per side with a single 10" mid bass and a single 15" sub in a slot ported box. Obviously the subs will be separated from the other speakers and the enclosures will be big and heavy since it'll be 3/4" plywood with that doubled up for the subs. I'm not worried about perfect sound stages or ultimate sonic fidelity, I want to rip someone's face off with the shop doors open.

So tell me how stupid my idea is, this project likely won't happen until this summer so I have plenty of time to iron it out. I'd thought about just grabbing some used dj speakers and making my own sub setup but I figure I'm already this far in why not go full fucktard. :homer:

That's totally something I would do and might be doing so I have some music to pound my cranium with in the shed, so I say do it.

Skar makes some monstrosities. Can't go wrong for what you have in mind.

Have you checked out Parts Express? I order most of my stuff from them. Really hate Amazon, so can't give any thoughts on their product offerings. I have a pair of 6.5" Tang Band subs that have an Fs of 35Hz that I want to build t-line boxes for that I got off PE. I see used loaded sub boxes and DJ equip on the facecrack market place all the time. Plenty of stuff on there for cheap that could beat the crap out of your shop walls.

That's totally something I would do and might be doing so I have some music to pound my cranium with in the shed, so I say do it.

Skar makes some monstrosities. Can't go wrong for what you have in mind.

Have you checked out Parts Express? I order most of my stuff from them. Really hate Amazon, so can't give any thoughts on their product offerings. I have a pair of 6.5" Tang Band subs that have an Fs of 35Hz that I want to build t-line boxes for that I got off PE. I see used loaded sub boxes and DJ equip on the facecrack market place all the time. Plenty of stuff on there for cheap that could beat the crap out of your shop walls.

I'd never heard of skar until I found their stuff on Amazon last summer after seeing a steve meade product testing video on youtube. Their dual 10" SDR enclosure has taken 3000 watts without a wimper while only being rated for 1200 so I figured fuggit.

I hadn't thought of parts express, I'll give them a look, I'm with you about avoiding amazon too, bezos can fuck right off

​​​​​​​I can order skar straight from them so that cuts amazon out of the loop, I'm looking at running all skar speakers and whatever I can find with decent reviews for amps and mixing board. I'm thinking crown is a step above average chinesium so I'll use them for the amps.

I don't think I can be of any help in this thread. I have a good enough shop stereo, but it did not come to fruition the way I wished. I have an old used Sony amplifier receiver unit an d a 100 disc CD changer hooked up to it. I'm using a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers (free at garage sale), a pair of sony mini cube speakers (free from pawn shop that closed) and an old center channel speaker I got for free, but I forget where. I also have a pair of 12" kicker subs in a huge box that I got free out of a stolen, wrecked truck when I was towing.

The original intent was to use the bookshelf speakers as the primary l r channels, the mini cubes for rear surrounds, the center for center, and the subs powered by a 1,000 w amp (also free out of a wrecked truck) hooked to a car battery and a charger. Turns out, without the remote, I can't activate the sub output on the stereo.

Instead, I have one of each speaker on each channel, with the center and subs bridged. Somehow it works, but it can go into thermal protect if I try to push it too far. I can hear the bass beat in the house 250 feet away, even with the shop doors closed and the house windows closed.

I have a 4 x 200w AB International amp with it configured as a 3 channel with a DBX DriveRack PA+, so my subs are getting 400w and the Klipsch KP-262's are getting 200w each, and with 102db sensitivity the system will play way louder than I need. I feed it with a cheapo tablet running JRiver Media Center 25, or any number of streaming services, and a CEntrance DAC.

Look on CL or marketplace for used PA gear, lots of small companies are going belly up, or they're trying to raise some cash. Don't get consumer gear or car audio stuff. A good drive rack like that DBX will have all the filters and EQ you will need to make it really rock.

P1090589.jpg

I'm just ordering a 120volt ac to 12volt converter so I can hook up a kenwood car stereo/amp. There will be a 6x9 in each corner or the garage. That should be enough to make me happy. 😁

As cheap as good quality used stereo stuff is these days....it's hard to not just pick up components off Marketplace and Craigslist.

Waste of money to try to build this stuff yourself.

Go get a pair of powered PA speakers and a powered subwoofer, don't buy shitty brands or entry level models, and get on with it. I have a set of QSC K12.2's that are stupid loud, throw a KS118 under them and it's more than any reasonable person could use in a garage.

I have been looking at old 80s/90s Cerwin-Vega speakers to get a 90s vibe in the shop. I always wanted some when I was a kid, but I was a broke MFer.

Here is my junk. It is loud. And mostly clear(ish) sounding. I practice woodworking for fun and relaxation, one weekend I was out in the shop with the doors up planeing some 5/4 wood to make usable. My neighbor taps me on my shoulder and scared the shit out of me. He lives a half mile away, with my house and trees between my shop and his house. He said he could tell what I was listening to and wanted to come check out what I was doing. :lmao: Now in the cold of winter the doors are closed and I can still hear it in my house 100' away, just like it was playing in the house.

Bluetooth your phone to it, aux input or usb/sd card hookups.

Details: Cheap ass pyle karaoke speakers, they claim 1800 watts(:lmao:) for 250 bucks on the web. There are two of them, even comes with stands if you wanted to move them outside to listen. Also included a mic if you want to sign along. One used sub box, ported with 2 12'' infinity subs and an old alpine xxsomethingxx amplifier. I used to power the amp on a battery and recharge while I was out of the shop. That got old as it would only keep up for 45 minutes or so before the amp didnt like the low volts. So I recently added a 100amp convertor to the battery and now it hammers all day long. Did I mention its loud af? I can hear it clearly over any woodworking tool in the shop.

All in I think I have $600 in it. :laughing: (250 pyle, 200 subs, 150 convertor, amp I had for free).

Click image for larger version Name:	pyle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	289838

Last edited:
I’ve gone to noise canceling headphones to protect what’s left of my hearing. The exact opposite of what you want, but I’d urge you to consider it. The ringing gets real old after a while. Tones down grinders and saws, but I still get to hear my tunes while I work.

Lots of truth in this ^. Took my boys to see Motley Crue back on the "last tour". I think '15 or '16 and my ears still ring from that. Maybe I should look into some good head phones. I regret taking my boys, hopefully their ears didn't get damaged.

I’ve gone to noise canceling headphones to protect what’s left of my hearing. The exact opposite of what you want, but I’d urge you to consider it. The ringing gets real old after a while. Tones down grinders and saws, but I still get to hear my tunes while I work.

This is what I do right now. Got a bluetooth headset. It's not bad, but lacks richness and I frequently have to take them off to hear somebody attempting to talk to me. Often makes me wish I just had a system that I could turn up to fill the room.

Go get a pair of powered PA speakers and a powered subwoofer, don't buy shitty brands or entry level models, and get on with it. I have a set of QSC K12.2's that are stupid loud, throw a KS118 under them and it's more than any reasonable person could use in a garage.

Yeah, compression drivers rule for max spl. OSC, JBL, EAW, Martin, Meyer, all make great powered speakers. Like I said, you should be able to find some on the ebay, CL, Market Place, or Sound Broker

Lots of truth in this ^. Took my boys to see Motley Crue back on the "last tour". I think '15 or '16 and my ears still ring from that. Maybe I should look into some good head phones. I regret taking my boys, hopefully their ears didn't get damaged.

I used to hand out foam ear plugs when I'd see kids with no ear-pro on. Younger ears are more easily damaged. You can have them tested for not a lot of money. Good on you for recognizing the danger.

I used to hand out foam ear plugs when I'd see kids with no ear-pro on. Younger ears are more easily damaged. You can have them tested for not a lot of money. Good on you for recognizing the danger.

I walked 5 miles around the sprint center trying to find just a couple pair for them. One of the few things I regret as a dad. They were 15 and 18 I think.

I walked 5 miles around the sprint center trying to find just a couple pair for them. One of the few things I regret as a dad. They were 15 and 18 I think.

Probably OK. I started going to concerts when I was 15 and it didn't take me long to figure out I needed some ear pro. But between going to NHRA events, driving an open car with a bomb stereo in it long distances, shooting and mixing live sound, my ears have put up with some punishment. I can still hear OK, but I do have some tinnitus that I can mask with a HEPA filter in my bedroom, or just having music on all the time.

In my mind the great thing about garage systems is that they use up extra stuff. Upgrade the system in the house, the old one ends up in the garage. I bought the DBX Drive Rack, but everything else was either a trade or an evaluation sample, or stuff left over from when I was in entertainment production. My whole music library, fits on a 512GB SD card, and I just punch it into the tablet and control it from my reloading bench with a wireless mouse. I long ago ripped all my CD's, but if I hadn't, I still wouldn't play them in a garage setting, too much dust and such for a CD player to live long term.

And I'm calling shenanigans on the 800 watts rating.

I have a 4 x 200w AB International amp with it configured as a 3 channel with a DBX DriveRack PA+, so my subs are getting 400w and the Klipsch KP-262's are getting 200w each, and with 102db sensitivity the system will play way louder than I need. I feed it with a cheapo tablet running JRiver Media Center 25, or any number of streaming services, and a CEntrance DAC.

Look on CL or marketplace for used PA gear, lots of small companies are going belly up, or they're trying to raise some cash. Don't get consumer gear or car audio stuff. A good drive rack like that DBX will have all the filters and EQ you will need to make it really rock.

That's about what I'm thinking of more or less. I want to run more power though. I wouldn't always want half of what's available but when I want to see cross-eyed I want it now.

I was thinking about building my own cabinet for it too rather than just a prefabbed unit

Cool, I'll go buy a nice stock jeep with a warranty to wheel in too instead of building what I want. :homer:. Off the shelf shit is boring. It ain't about the end result, it's about the journey and being able to say I built it and set it all up.

I have been looking at old 80s/90s Cerwin-Vega speakers to get a 90s vibe in the shop. I always wanted some when I was a kid, but I was a broke MFer.

I was thinking that too at first. Always wanted a set of CV 15's in the shop but then I got to looking at making shit really loud and I'm not sure it's going to cut the mustard.

I don't listen to music loud when I'm working on things, it's just for background noise. Buuut when I want to get rowdy I want it to get stupid.

I don't remember what band it was but I only went to Rock Concerts in the early 80s and I was at one where some chicks up front were sticking their heads as far inside open speakers as they could. Guys would get kicked back by security.

Of-the-shelf is OK but boring, same as everyone else. I like to make custom shit so I made my own 19" rack w/ beer fridge, speaker boxes and so on. Used equipment, employee prices on Rockford stuff. Automotive theme. Amps are QSC, a 1300w and a 400w, 2 way x over, eq tuned with mic. Hung on carb lift pates, I made my own exhaust tips. This bitch pounds out brutal sound. The car subs are tuned much lower freq than PA gear, at expense of efficiency/output. BT interface to phone.
ACtC-3c3CVbWVQLcJTuSsUCRp6ECisOQedsAoSW57njOGtsyuDyHsSqWk-LTFx6najJeefM4t_QVH9pKBZ8MOrRCLz79HhlBv78zCZhS7K_LnmVIsS8-UUZU4xrGlFQNM2Ts55ZPyFVia1yl8OvIxkmSSLM5=w884-h663-no

Engineering details and more construction pics here
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8194928#post8194928

Last edited:
Of-the-shelf is OK but boring, same as everyone else. I like to make custom shit so I made my own 19" rack w/ beer fridge, speaker boxes and so on. Used equipment, employee prices on Rockford stuff. Automotive theme. Amps are QSC, a 1300w and a 400w, 2 way x over, eq tuned with mic. Hung on carb lift pates, I made my own exhaust tips. This bitch pounds out brutal sound. The car subs are tuned much lower freq than PA gear, at expense of efficiency/output. BT interface to phone.
ACtC-3c3CVbWVQLcJTuSsUCRp6ECisOQedsAoSW57njOGtsyuDyHsSqWk-LTFx6najJeefM4t_QVH9pKBZ8MOrRCLz79HhlBv78zCZhS7K_LnmVIsS8-UUZU4xrGlFQNM2Ts55ZPyFVia1yl8OvIxkmSSLM5=w884-h663-no

OK, that's pimp for sure.

Dave Rat of Rat Sound in CA built some "Horn" speakers out of lampshades for his lobby. They don't sound super good, but they're just interesting design elements.

That's about what I'm thinking of more or less. I want to run more power though. I wouldn't always want half of what's available but when I want to see cross-eyed I want it now.

I was thinking about building my own cabinet for it too rather than just a prefabbed unit

Just so you know, my system will do 113-115db continuous. High sensitivity speakers will do that for you. I typically run the amp channels at 4 so that I can run the signal up higher in the Drive Rack. A custom cabinet would be cool, just make sure you incorporate cooling, I've got a Middle Atlantic 3x 4" fan mounted on the back, because it gets hot AF here.

Cool, I'll go buy a nice stock jeep with a warranty to wheel in too instead of building what I want. :homer:. Off the shelf shit is boring. It ain't about the end result, it's about the journey and being able to say I built it and set it all up.

Off the shelf shit works and generally sounds better (unless you're just copying someone's design)...do you build your own transfer cases and axles from scratch too? Machine those gears? Cast those housings?

Every hodge podge of audio equipment I've seen with home built speakers has sucked. Subwoofers might be loud but they're one note wonders....tops with ear piercing highs but a big gap at the crossover point.

In the past when a good PA speaker would run thousands of dollars, you might have had the argument....but I doubt I could build anything nearly as good as my K12.2's with amplification/processing for $800/box. Also, most of these boxes now are running more than just an EQ/Crossover for processing, they are biamped and can do far more advanced things to align wave fronts and perfectly tailor the response. All while doing 120db all day every day without ever failing.

Note: I have built my fair share of subwoofer enclosures, so it's not like I am talking out my ass.

Off the shelf shit works and generally sounds better (unless you're just copying someone's design)...do you build your own transfer cases and axles from scratch too? Machine those gears? Cast those housings?

Every hodge podge of audio equipment I've seen with home built speakers has sucked. Subwoofers might be loud but they're one note wonders....tops with ear piercing highs but a big gap at the crossover point.

In the past when a good PA speaker would run thousands of dollars, you might have had the argument....but I doubt I could build anything nearly as good as my K12.2's with amplification/processing for $800/box. Also, most of these boxes now are running more than just an EQ/Crossover for processing, they are biamped and can do far more advanced things to align wave fronts and perfectly tailor the response. All while doing 120db all day every day without ever failing.

Note: I have built my fair share of subwoofer enclosures, so it's not like I am talking out my ass.

This was the rig that was my responsibility. 40 tri-amped mains, 20 2x15 subs, 18 center and delay speakers, 6 dual 18 infra subs, and various near-fills and out-fills. Took some software to get it to get the coverage even, but the room itself made it pretty easy.

2011-03-14-15 JBL Maint 139.JPG

2012-02-27 System Maint (17).JPG

2011-05-23 SOAD 040.JPG

Look on CL and Marketplace, always lots of PA gear on there cheap.

I picked up an old BGH 750 last year to drive the subs for cheap. I swear you could arc weld with each channel on this thing.

Probably OK. I started going to concerts when I was 15 and it didn't take me long to figure out I needed some ear pro. But between going to NHRA events, driving an open car with a bomb stereo in it long distances, shooting and mixing live sound, my ears have put up with some punishment. I can still hear OK, but I do have some tinnitus that I can mask with a HEPA filter in my bedroom, or just having music on all the time.

A fan will not mask the ringing I have. I adjusted the radio in the shop van to where I thought it sounded OK. My shop monkey started complaining that his ears were going to start bleeding. High frequency's may be a little off for Me. Probably why I like compression horns.

Just so you know, my system will do 113-115db continuous. High sensitivity speakers will do that for you. I typically run the amp channels at 4 so that I can run the signal up higher in the Drive Rack. A custom cabinet would be cool, just make sure you incorporate cooling, I've got a Middle Atlantic 3x 4" fan mounted on the back, because it gets hot AF here.

For sure, cooling would be important. I was thinking ducted fans on the rear pulling air from the front.

I've always built rigs with repurposed stock parts modified to my needs. Sure I didn't build the 231 or toyota crawl boxes from scratch but they did get cut up and rebuilt to do what I wanted. It's not like I'm talking about buying bare baskets, cones and motor assemblies to build my own drivers here. :homer:

I don't care if I have an argument or not. I'm not asking IF I should do it because I'm going to do it. :laughing:

At the least I'll buy a set of PA speakers and build enclosures for them in the right dimensions that match the sub enclosures.

This unit will be bi-amplified with proper crossovers, hence the mids & tweeters that come with their own passive crossovers and 10" midbass drivers to fill the lower hole in the frequency. Easy enough to run them off of a 4 channel amp so the midbass and separates have their own frequency range and easily adjusted levels. I don't expect it to rival anything great but it'll sound decent, be loud as fuck and be something I put together for me and nobody else.

Top Back Refresh