What's new

Homade heavy duty jackstands

Toyoda

Member Number
I need to change the leaf spring bushing on the back of my 26' class c motorhome, I can't find jackstands I can afford to support the rear while I work on it. I did some searching and surprisingly didn't find anything to help.

I was thinking of using a 4" square tube, .25 wall, and 3.5" .25 square tube as a nested pair. 10"x10" .25 plate for the bottom, center the 4" and weld it on the plate. Then add .25" triangle gussets to each corner. Add a 3/4 pin to hold it up. Frame height to ground is 16". I was thinking the 4" tube would be 14" tall and the 3.5 would be 15" tall. This would give me a range of 15" to around 22", still need some overlap to provide strength and stability.
Considering 2 pins, one on each side. I could space the holes 1" apart, offset 1/2 on the other side. This would give me 1/2" lift increments but keep material for strength on each side for load.

Does this sound safe? Im guessing the back should be upwards of 3.5 tons.
Will 4" and 3.5" slide like I think it will?
Is a 3/4 pin large enough or should I go to 1"?

The 3.5" won't slide into the 4" without a bunch of work. The weld seam will be in the way. You would probably be better off using 3/16" wall.

I guess the price of your materials and welding supplies would be comparable to buying stands. Can get these sent to house for $232

Sunex 1410 10-Ton, High Height, Pin Type, Jack Stands, Pair from amozon​

I will have to see what material will cost and compare.
Its the 1522, 22 ton style that I had in mind.

Is 3/16 wall enough material, or 3/16 for the inside tube?
-I forgot about the weld seam.

12-ton HF jack stands with a couple pieces of 6x6 or 8x8 cribbing will be more than sufficient.

12-ton HF jack stands with a couple pieces of 6x6 or 8x8 cribbing will be more than sufficient.
please provide a link to HF 12 ton jack stands :flipoff2:

stack the duals with the wheel flanges facing up
slide them under the frame with a shovel
4x4 and 6x6 wood from there

Top Back Refresh