What's new

Hole in fuel tank - JB weld/epoxy repair?

Ebs

`
Member Number
Loc
MI
Pick n pulled a fuel tank I've been searching for today. They smacked it with a center punch to drain the thing, about a pencil size hole in the bottom. Is this even worth trying to repair? Do the the jb weld epoxy type kits hold up long term?

For 20 bucks it was still worth getting all the straps and crossmembers and hardware (salt life) if I have to find another tank.

Last edited:
I like that idea better than jb welding a quarter over the hole. It is dented in around the hole from hammering the punch thru, I imagine those need a fairly flat surface to work well.

Pick n pulled a fuel tank I've been searching for today. They smacked it with a center punch to drain the thing, about a pencil size hole in the bottom. Is this even worth trying to repair? Do the the jb weld epoxy type kits hold up long term?

For 20 bucks it was still worth getting all the straps and crossmembers and hardware (salt life) if I have to find another tank.
If its plastic???????????
I have plastic welded plastic tanks with great success.

If your too much of a pussy to weld a gas tank that has been purged with water....you just need to suck it up and buy a new tank :flipoff2:

Or maybe get lucky with a hack job.
I've done a couple. Did a 120 gal diesel transfer tank once that still had fuel in it. Ended up getting it too hot and caught the fuel on fire. Luckily was only a few gallons left in teh bottom.

:laughing:
For all the geniuses who left a bad review, they simply did NOT follow directions! Like most stuff, you have to use as intended! Can’t fault the product cuz your not bright enough to follow instructions. This product works great and have used it on many fuel tanks and sealed everytime and is still holding perfect! But I also followed directions so... great product! Saved me from having to pull out a tank or buying a new one... $15 vs $300-$500 for new tank 5min vs 5-6hours
Use your brain and you will be super happy with this product!

I've welded on plenty of tanks and I'm still here. Fill 1/2 full of water and dawn dish soap and slosh it around some. Then drain, let it dry out in the sun for a day or so and start welding. If anything is questionable....get a long stick and light it on fire and wave it over the hole from 10 feet away to test it. I've never had one do anything strange.

Purge the tank by hooking it to a diesel exhaust pipe.

Or, solder a patch. Old school way is to use a soldering copper. Sand/clean the area thoroughly, tin the tank and patch, solder together.

Top Back Refresh