What's new

HMMWV question

Armor kit?

slide2-l.jpg

https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...rm=&pnLink=yes

Volvo EC160CL that appears well used with ~30k hours...anybody care to let me know why that would be a terrible deal for $8K? :homer: looking for something in the homeowner size, this appears larger than a mini, but i already forgot how you guys said you "read" the weights of excavators by model number.

not buying right now, just trying to get an idea of markets

Volvo EC160CL that appears well used with ~30k hours...anybody care to let me know why that would be a terrible deal for $8K? :homer: looking for something in the homeowner size, this appears larger than a mini, but i already forgot how you guys said you "read" the weights of excavators by model number.

I don't know, but I want it.

richie specs say ~37k operating weight so a bit beyond home owner, but I say go for it!

richie specs say ~37k operating weight so a bit beyond home owner, but I say go for it!

well, large homeowner :lmao:

i'll need more than a mini would care to do just trying to get an idea on price of things and such vs getting a rental a few months a year.

there was another thread somewhere in the ether, but i can't remember anymore what the "ideal minimum useful" size was and how to approximate that based on model number

37k doesn't sound overly heavy. hell, that could even be pulled by a MDT reasonably.

That’s got Action Fabs name all over it. He’ll run it by the father in law first thing in the morning. :flipoff2:

37k doesn't sound overly heavy. hell, that could even be pulled by a MDT reasonably.

No.

The listed shipping weight is 37,930. Placed on a double-drop trailer (14,000 lbs), the towed weight is now 51,930 lbs. Add in the class 8 truck to pull it, and you're at about 70k.

If you tried pulling with an MDT, you are limited to class 6. If you go class 7, that's technically HDT CDL territory. An F750 has a maximum tow capacity of 37,000... so once you add a trailer, you're overweight. You *could* order a Kenworth T470 with a 68,000 GCWR and that would get you in the ballpark, but this is pretty solidly Class 8 territory.

I had a 331 for a while then stepped up to a bobcat E50 for a few years. It's plenty big enough to do just about thing a "homeowner" would want to do. Unless your wanting to dig massive amounts of dirt rather quickly. It will still dig the dirt just not as fast as something like that Volvo. It doesnt pack ground as good because its not as heavy. That only matters if your trying to build road beds or building pads really.

Its small enough you could move it with a 1 ton truck and still get in and around things your trying not to destroy. Just make sure to get a hydro thumb for picking up trees or random truck parts. Neither of mine had a 4-6 way blade, but I have rented one with it. Would be a must have if i ever have another.

the 331 would barely pick up the front of v8 grand Cherokee before picking itself up. The E50 would with ease as long as you didnt try to do it 15 ft away. The 331 weighted maybe 8000lbs and the E50 was 12-13k maybe.

Last edited:

Well I did see a 34,000 lb telescopic boom forklift being towed down the street the other day on a gooseneck behind a SRW truck, but didn't get any pictures for the Big Dumb Load thread. So clearly you should ignore the advice above and go buy it!

Usually one or 2 of the numbers in the model number are roughly the metric ton weight of the machine but which ones they are move around between manufactures, but a quick gogle search almost always will give you a #.

No.

The listed shipping weight is 37,930. Placed on a double-drop trailer (14,000 lbs), the towed weight is now 51,930 lbs. Add in the class 8 truck to pull it, and you're at about 70k.

If you tried pulling with an MDT, you are limited to class 6. If you go class 7, that's technically HDT CDL territory. An F750 has a maximum tow capacity of 37,000... so once you add a trailer, you're overweight. You *could* order a Kenworth T470 with a 68,000 GCWR and that would get you in the ballpark, but this is pretty solidly Class 8 territory.

good to know. thanks :beer:

trying to think in my head of what other things a CL8 could do besides just hauling heavy stuff. working on my potential equipment list in my head :rasta: specialty trailers could probably get everything done that needs to be done, but i'll have to do more digging around to see what a "small" rear or side dump trailer would go for.

I had a 331 for a while then stepped up to a bobcat E50 for a few years. It's plenty big enough to do just about thing a "homeowner" would want to do. Unless your wanting to dig massive amounts of dirt rather quickly. It will still dig the dirt just not as fast as something like that Volvo. It doesnt pack ground as good because its not as heavy. That only matters if your trying to build road beds or building pads really.

Its small enough you could move it with a 1 ton truck and still get in and around things your trying not to destroy. Just make sure to get a hydro thumb for picking up trees or random truck parts. Neither of mine had a 4-6 way blade, but I have rented one with it. Would be a must have if i ever have another.

the 331 would barely pick up the front of v8 grand Cherokee before picking itself up. The E50 would with ease as long as you didnt try to do it 15 ft away. The 331 weighted maybe 8000lbs and the E50 was 12-13k maybe.

intended use would be for land clearing, no trees, moving dirt to make building pads and some sort of retention pond and general dirt terracing. making 1/4 mile sq of hillside more useful. As for roads, there is about a mile of 2 track that i'd like to get into something resembling a road, and light maint. on another maybe 3 miles of road on an as needed basis.

not in a particular hurry, but with about a 30" frost line (iirc) i'd like to be able to trench fairly well and do things in a 'reasonable' timeframe. probably not enough neighbors to justify doing work for others, but ya know, once you have something everybody has a project :rasta:

Well I did see a 34,000 lb telescopic boom forklift being towed down the street the other day on a gooseneck behind a SRW truck, but didn't get any pictures for the Big Dumb Load thread. So clearly you should ignore the advice above and go buy it!

Usually one or 2 of the numbers in the model number are roughly the metric ton weight of the machine but which ones they are move around between manufactures, but a quick gogle search almost always will give you a #.

thanks! I don't have a smart phone, so i was curious about the numbers to help when spotting them in the wild to get a better idea of what size project they are on and such :beer:

Well the bigger machines can usually be bought cheaper because they are more expensive to move and the maintenance on the machine is more expensive as well. I think I gave 20 for the 331 and about 40 for the E50 at the time.

The biggest single expense in my opinion on a high hour machine you have to watch out for is the final drives. If they were not well taken care of they will need replaced eventually. A rebuilt one for that 331 i had was 2500 each. I bet a big machine would be closer to 5k but i have never priced one.

I would at minimum get one with a std thumb. That thing is handy as hell.

If you want one with a push blade you will have to stick with a mini or mid sized machine. Which to me makes the mini and mid sized more useful than a big machine. It makes it a mini dozer. That of course again depends on several variables. I mean if you already have a dump truck and a dozer then it dont really matter.

My driveway was 2000 ft long. The house and shop was on a ridge so there was 400 ft of elevation change and it was dirt/gravel for most of the way. So i was constantly filling in washes, cleaning out ditches, and rebuilding sections. It worked extremely well for that. I even made an attachment to hold a push mower after removing the bucket. So I could walk the driveway and cut the ditches on both sides because they were too deep and too many rocks to cut it by hand.

If the ground isnt hard as a rock, and you might actually be able to use it for other things. Like i said I built atv trails, driveways, cut grass with it, used it as a dozer, and even used it as a swing mount for the pool and zipline mount for the pond. I'd go with something comparable in size to an E50 or 60. Put a 3ft bucket on it and go to town.

Also on used machines. Make sure the house is tight on the turn table. Some sloppiness in the bucket and arm is ok if your not trying to do "precision" work. If your near something you dont want to fawk up its a pain in the asss.

Those pins are expensive and getting the bores redone is too if you have to fix them.

To answer the OPs question, the ones with the offset grill are the newest versions with a 6.5 turbo/4l80 and a bunch of other updates from the old m998 style.
If you'd like to know anything specific just let me know. Work is slow.

To answer the OPs question, the ones with the offset grill are the newest versions with a 6.5 turbo/4l80 and a bunch of other updates from the old m998 style.

Ya I did help this one go off the rails. sorry to the OP.

Thanks, are these military models capable of running at freeway speeds with the 4l80?

Top Back Refresh