What's new

High Mileage SxS

Bigstic

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
ND
Been looking to find a used SxS for ice fishing in the winter and tooling around my Uncles farm when we go hunting down there. This wont be a mud machine or Off road crawler. Just looking for a reliable runner.

I am looking at a couple 900 Rangers. One is a '15 with 13,487 miles and the other is a '16 with 12,896 miles. These are both from farmers that "Claim" the miles are just from driving down dirt roads to their fields. Witch figuring one of the guys has 50,000 plus acres, I can see putting that many miles on one. Neither are ranchers so the machines haven't been chasing cattle in the fields. They both claim regular services and they are reliable machines.

Would any of you be worried about the milage?

For comparable age machines they are discounted roughly 15% for the higher milage. Most of my friends up here that have machines barely put 500 miles a year on them with ice fishing and hunting so you seldom see any units over 5000 miles..

Thanks

For me they would have to be like 1/2 price of comparable machines with lower miles. With that many miles on them they are gonna start needing hard parts like bearings in the trans and stuff replaced I'd think. Popo uses Chinese bearings in their transmissions and diffs. If you can do the work yourself it might not be a big deal.

Honestly though it boils down to how they are maintained. Some of the UTV owners out there could bend a crowbar in a swimming pool and their SXSs reflect the abuse.. Can you get the VIN and call the local dealer and see if they have any service records on that machine?

I bought a 2020 rzr 900 trail with 9800 miles from a local rental shop. I was a little nervous at first but it has proven to be a solid machine still.
The clutch has been rebuilt and updated and the fuel pump replaced. And a suspension bushing kit installed.
The steering is still tight and the suspension is still good. Bushings will need replaced again shortly though.
I paid about a 1/3 less than older machines with half the miles we’re going for.

TLDR if the machine you are looking at isn’t priced the same as a low mileage one and doesn’t look hammered I’d try it.

I have a 2011 Polaris Ranger XP800 with right around 400 hours and 13,xxx miles. The GF and I bought it to use as a golf cart around the lake (really wasn't much more than a golf cart) but also for trail riding around when two tracks and forest roads are the name of the game. It is 100 times better than my rock crawler in those applications, and is very enjoyable. We have made good use of the bed around the house on remodel projects and landscaping as well. If I had to choose between the crawler or the UTV at this point I think I would lean towards the UTV. We just use it so much more and it's small design is nice as it doesn't hog half my 24'x24' shop/garage.

We have had a few issues with it, but nothing major. 13,xxx/400 ish comes out to around 35mph average it's entire life. I got mine as a same type story. Retired diesel tech at one of the big 3, he was original owner. Got it as part of his estate sale. Claimed to use solely for splitting firewood and driving back roads between farms to visit his buddies.

We have encountered a few wiring/electrical issues, replaced several sensors, replaced the seat base (cracked), and added a windshield/roof. I plan to go through it this winter and service bearings/joints, etc. making sure they are all good. Only other thing I would like to add would be a soundbar/speaker system, and maybe some better lighting. All-in-all for the 6,000 or so (after mods listed) we spent on it we are way money ahead. So much so we are considering selling my crawler and either upgrading to a new(er) XP1000, or a RZR altogether.

If you're just looking for something as you described, I'd consider looking at an old Yamaha rhino. Built like a tank and easy to work on. They're not fast by any means. I have a 450 that runs around comfortably about 28 mph. Dad has a 660 that I put a 700 belt on and a new cdi box. It'll hit 52 mph but runs and handles well about 45 mph.

Just a thought if you don't want to tie a bunch of money up in a sxs

My Xp 1000 is at 6000 mile 500 hours and i had to do some maintenance its still a very nice machine. Bought it new.

Well I pulled the plug on a 2014 Xp 1000 that has 6000 miles on it. Picked it up on Saturday and other than driving it around the shop and cleaning it out seems to be a good machine. Still want a Ranger but this was a good deal for what all came with it. Tracks (they are the 4S but I only use them for ice fishing so should be fine), 30" tires on bead locks with spacers, Glass windshield with wiper, Heater, Road legal kit, winch, full skid plate, cloth cab but all the zippers are shot, in cab stereo that sounds terrible.

Needs a battery as this one doesn't seem to take a charge and want to pull the belt cover and see how that looks. The guy I bought it from wasn't sure if it has a clutch kit so going to look into that as well.

Will probably pull the tracks this spring and try to trade the rzr for a ranger this summer. Heading to KOH on Friday so wont be doing much this week.

Top Back Refresh