What's new

High Expectations

muddysamurai

Present
Member Number
Loc
Desoto, MO
Gonna start a little build/restoration thread on 2 Suzuki Samurais into one. I started my habit/hobby with a 88 Samurai that had been rear ended and basically only needed a tailgate, gas tank skid and a tailgate......oh and a new engine which was sitting in a box in pieces yet to be rebuilt. It was around 2000 and I was in college, got that Samurai rebuilt and began daily driving it as I added lifts and other goodies to it over a few years until handled like crap on the street and couldn't maintain 55. It had a YJ SPOA conversion, 4.16:1 t-case gears and a rear lockrite and a couple skid plates. It had a good straight body with some of the usual rust until various body panes met trees, and rocks.

P1010286.JPG

I kida fell out of wheeling around 2010 and life got busy and may of my other wheeling buddies fell away from the hobby or moved away, but I hung on to the Samurai through getting married, building a house and starting a family. I finally drug the Samurai home from sitting outside under a tarp at my parents house to my house in 2019, where I messed with it and fought to get it running again, but not good, and deciding what I was going to do with it.
20180508_200210.jpg

I decided I wanted to make it more streetable but still able to take it wheeling, so I decided I wanted to big the lift back down a little via putting it back SPUA but keeping the YJ setup. I also decided I wanted to somewhat restore it and put a back seat back in so my 4 y.o. son could ride in it. Did some searching on Craigslist and FB and found a Sammy nearby for $2100 that looked to be in decent shape, got the guy down a little to $1800 and brought it home.
20200118_124941.jpg

It looked pretty good but had rust in the usual spots but the body was much straighter, but it had been in a wreck and the firewall was tweaked a bit and the right front fender had been replaced and the hood and the cowl wrinkled up., I am pretty sure the front axle was replace with a junkyard one and the front tube crossmember had been hacked out and badly replaced with a square tube. I ultimately decide I am going to swap the body of the gray one onto the frame and drivetrain of my original one, and swap the engines (the blue one had been developing a knock). I don't have a garage of shop to work in but I discovered to the dismay of my wife that a Samurai will fit though the double doors to my basement!
20200202_174405.jpg

Begin the dismantling! I was going to use the best body parts from either Samurai to make a better one, and replace others that were bad on both.
20200314_193227.jpg

20200425_214129.jpg

20220704_142719.jpg

20220704_171441.jpg

20220704_142828.jpg

20220704_142837.jpg

I removed the fender flare attachments, the rocker cover attachments, and the cowl and sub fender on the right side and replace it with the same piece from my blue Samurai.
I has taken me about 18 months to get to this point be cause I have been pushing it to bottom of my list of priorities, but I am going to make sure is closer to the top so I can get this done and back out on the road sooner than later, and hopefully this build thread will help me keep it there.

More to come soon!

Tin top outer fenders.
20220704_142809.jpg

Inner and outer floor pan risers.
20220704_142933.jpg

Four right inner fenders!
20220704_142750.jpg

20220704_143032.jpg

So I did pick up a few panels that were too rotted out on both Samurais. Got the rear outer fenders for both sides, I ended up ordering panels for a tin top because they were half the price of fenders for a soft top for some reason. They will work since I'm only gonna patch the bad areas.

I have rust in the usual spot behind the front seats. The body mount areas seem to in good shape, I'm not sure to what extent I am going to go to to replace both the inner and outer pieces as they are tied into a lot of areas.

The fenders are going to get completely cut out and replaced. I ordered 1 left and right fender on ebay, and the shipped me 4 right fenders! I debated contacting the seller and sending back the other 3 and requesting the left one, but I was dealing with a seller in India so i decided not to worry about it....the fenders are pretty symmetrical and simply turning one around will still work on the left side! So if anyone needs a couple inner fenders I have 2 right ones I'll sell.

The inner fenders and the floor riser sections are OEM Suzuki and came on a slow boat from India! The outer fenders are not, the seller was in the US but it took almost a month to get them.

So, I have been piddling here and there but haven't done much. Finally on the last day of my Christmas vacation I'm getting a little time to work on it.

Here is what I am thinking cutting out of the fender and replacing with it with my new fender. Also deciding if I am going to overlap the panels about an inch or butt weld them. I leaning towards overlapping and and welding and denting the joint in and filling, based off some body work videos I have been watching, and I am only welding with flux core wire.
20230102_115827.jpg

Cut out some rust spots in the rocker panel, and ran a wire wheel on a flexible shaft to knock down the rust inside the rocker. I then sprayed the cavity with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating with a long flexible spray tube.

20230102_121317.jpg

20230102_121334.jpg

I also apparently forgot to update of some work I did a couple months ago. I got the donor cowl placed and spot welded into place.
20220704_171441.jpg

20220704_171451.jpg

20220709_185855.jpg

20220709_185912.jpg

My welding is not that great, so how does it go.......grinder and paint make the welder I ain't!

Last edited:
You're going to want this

Air Punch/Flange Tool

Then you can over lap and be flush.

Also, it's nice to see someone actually fixing one of these up vs smashing it and scrapping it (guilty :laughing:)

You'll like the spua conversion. Basically no axle wrap, good steering angle, and very stable.

You're going to want this

Air Punch/Flange Tool

Then you can over lap and be flush.

Also, it's nice to see someone actually fixing one of these up vs smashing it and scrapping it (guilty :laughing:)

You'll like the spua conversion. Basically no axle wrap, good steering angle, and very stable.
Yes, I was considering the flangong tool as well.
Yea I wheeled my first one with the YJ conversion SPUA for a couple years and It's road manners were definitely better, plus didn't break any ujoints from the axle wrap!

One inner fender out....I think I will be able to make left fender they sent me work on the right side, they are pretty symmetrical.

20230102_141030.jpg
20230102_141226.jpg

It must be so nice driving shit you can just buy patch panels for.

Ebay is your friend......but most likely they will be coming from India. The Maruti (Suzuki) Gypsy was made in India until 2019.

Forgot I was watching this thread. Nice build and you're close enough that we might eventually meet on a trail.

I was considering doing a Sami pair for the family, but looking at the prices now says that's a no.

Top Back Refresh