What's new

High amp firewall pass though

Og48

Member Number
I'm working on a friends rig fixing ill installed components and I'm at the wiring phase. He has three large large wires (two-4ga, one-8ga) going through the firewall against metal. One for a stereo amp, one for a power inverter, and one for powering his switch panel with breakers. I could grommet it I guess, but what about one of those high amp rated single stud bulkhead fittings. I see one with a 3/8th stud rated for 550 amps. If I installed one of those in the firewall and ran a single 0/1 gauge wire to it on the engine side, then those three wires on the other, would that be too much for the bulkhead? The inverter rarely gets used and if it did, the stereo would be off. Thanks

Those bulkheads would work great as long as you install one rated for the max amperage draw. Blue Sea and others will likely have some heavy duty bulkheads to chose from.

Could do it that way, but if the wiring's all already there and you have room, waterproof grommets could be an option as well, and then you're not adding any connections to corrode/come loose

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/waterproof-grommets/

Also known as a cord grip or cable gland. I have a few metal grips in the firewall of my truck to pass sensors cables through.

I have used cord grip or cable gland with smaller single wires inside of a piece of tubing to pass through firewalls and such for years without a problem

Upull it nearby? These were a few bucks came off a BMW X5, the fuse on the circuit was rated for 200amps
55E1DBB7-2E28-4C0C-B3AA-8C9BA86DE126.jpeg

Upull it nearby? These were a few bucks came off a BMW X5, the fuse on the circuit was rated for 200amps
55E1DBB7-2E28-4C0C-B3AA-8C9BA86DE126.jpeg

any BMW will have heavy battery cables and junction points under the hood.
the batteries have been in the back for decades.

if parts scavenging is the order of the day, go to realoem.com and you can look at alll the parts from every BMW ever made.
there's also a ton of neat little wire holders and conduits to hold big ass battery cables away from hot things.

Top Back Refresh