What's new

Here's an LS swap for you

I knew it was going to be a >8 cyl engine.

Seems like everybody has a V12 these days.

But this isn't about having the most effective engine, it's about having a V12 LS which is good bragging rights and very cool.

"The v12 engine of your dreams...."

Not exactly. I don't see the advantage of adding cylinders to the LS platform. The main reason to add cylinders to same displacement is to increase valve area and breathing ability. But the LS is not air-pump restricted. So the disadvantages of 50% more complexity and weight are not outweighed by the change in valve-area/displacement ratio.

By the time the LS starts outrunning the breathing ability of 8 cylinders across up to 6.2 liters, the old-school vavletrain is out of gas. The LS doesn't need to rev like a 2-smoke because it's torquey, the advantage every car reviewer from here to Munich gives it. So since the LS can't out-spin it's own intake and exhaust ports, the V12 is mechanically unnecessary and therefore a negative development.

It is however 12 cylinders instead of 8 and more is better.

I'm amazed (but mostly jealous) at the amount of money some people spend on killer shit like this.

That's old news going back several years. It's a cool novelty but look at the power #'s, extremely unimpressive....

A small power adder built LS can make those #'s no problem, why bother with that monstrosity? (and for 1/2 or less the $)

Last edited:
I wish the V4 concept took off... that would be killer in my flat fender

I knew it was going to be a >8 cyl engine.

Seems like everybody has a V12 these days.

But this isn't about having the most effective engine, it's about having a V12 LS which is good bragging rights and very cool.

"The v12 engine of your dreams...."

Not exactly. I don't see the advantage of adding cylinders to the LS platform. The main reason to add cylinders to same displacement is to increase valve area and breathing ability. But the LS is not air-pump restricted. So the disadvantages of 50% more complexity and weight are not outweighed by the change in valve-area/displacement ratio.

By the time the LS starts outrunning the breathing ability of 8 cylinders across up to 6.2 liters, the old-school vavletrain is out of gas. The LS doesn't need to rev like a 2-smoke because it's torquey, the advantage every car reviewer from here to Munich gives it. So since the LS can't out-spin it's own intake and exhaust ports, the V12 is mechanically unnecessary and therefore a negative development.

It is however 12 cylinders instead of 8 and more is better.

well fuck, nobody buy it because everfucktard said its unnecessary.

I wonder if one of those cylinder heads could be the basis of a gnarly I-6 :evil:

If we're arbitrarily making LS-based oddball engines, that's moar interestinger :laughing:

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...rd-inline-six/

Picture-291.png

Back when i worked for the General, there was development of a V10 LS type engine that didn't go very far.
I did see a few proto engines on carts/pallets kicking around.
Woulda been cool.

isn't the point of gen3/4 small blocks that they're dirt cheap garbage power
if you're putting 20k into a block, crank, and heads you aren't going to be using junkyard pistons and rods
at that point may as well go with something off the wall like 6" bore spacing

[486 said:
;n299272]isn't the point of gen3/4 small blocks that they're dirt cheap garbage power
if you're putting 20k into a block, crank, and heads you aren't going to be using junkyard pistons and rods
at that point may as well go with something off the wall like 6" bore spacing

Yep. You could have quite the sweet billet/forged bullet for that coin with double the power that uses 'normal' off the shelf parts.

The V-10/12/24 whatever stuff is just a hobbyists wet dream. Cool, but fairly pointless. What kind of vehicle is going to accept that packaging? The weight distribution of whatever it is will suck. :flipoff2:

I wonder if one of those cylinder heads could be the basis of a gnarly I-6 :evil:

If we're arbitrarily making LS-based oddball engines, that's moar interestinger :laughing:

40 years a few drag racers were chopping up SBC heads for use on 292 chevy 6's in Modified Production, they did so well that the NHRA banned them..

doesn't the crank or cam become the weakest link when you add 50% more length?

I'd think, and some weird ass harmonics that no off the shelf balancer/damper is tuned for, etc....

Last edited:
doubtless it'll break long before it makes 3/4 what a turbo'd 6.0 will

it's not about making power, it's about the rich guy with a couch and tv in his perfect floored pole barn that knows about all the attention that garbage swaps get, sees this shitpile, then says to his garage manager "I want one of these things I saw on my instantgram etsy pinterist feed"

I'd think, and some weird ass harmonics that no off the shelf balancer/damper is tuned for, etc....

60deg V is optimal for a V12 so I'd expect it to need some sort of harmonic balancer like a 90deg V6 has to use.

60deg V is optimal for a V12 so I'd expect it to need some sort of harmonic balancer like a 90deg V6 has to use.

Maybe it can use two 1 in the front and 1 in the back 90 deg out of phase :lmao: It looks like a Fluidampr/superdamper in the pic but who knows, maybe they had a proprietary one spec'd?

Bruce Sizemore (Google him) is working on doing just that.

The iron head it's replacing has outlived everyone who's seriously tried to improve upon it so I'm hedging my bets but presuming he succeeds I'll be buying one.

The epoxy head had reliability results not befitting the engine it went on so it wound up being a dead end. It would have been perfect for what the 2JZ crowd will put up with but they already have good heads. He probably could have reduced the frequency of leakage with 1/2" steel intake and exhaust flanges but drag racers don't do that kind of stuff.

Also, think about the push-rod geometry of that abomination. Once again, not exactly something the people who use that short-block are gonna tolerate.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh