What's new

Henry in .17 hmr

jeeptj19992001

land of milk and honey
Member Number
Loc
land of milk and honey
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200618-192247_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	44156 thinking about adding a Henry in .17 hmr to the collection. any thoughts on it?
have a .30-.30 and 45-70

seems like a fun caliber and cheap enough to shoot and more grunt then .22.

Last edited:
filedata/fetch?id=44156&d=1592522589 thinking about adding a Henry in .17 hmr to the collection. any thoughts on it?
have a .30-.30 and 45-70

seems like a fun caliber and cheap enough to shoot and more grunt then .22.

I won a .17hmr Henry at a banquet. Fun gun to shoot. The .17 is noticeably hotter than a 22.

Hers a stupid story to go along with the .17. I went shooting with a buddy and packed one of those million pockets bags with ammo. A month or so later we took a flight up to Alaska for a wedding. We used this backpack as our carry on. We go through the tsa at out podunck airport. We had two small kids and the tsa was all into testing the kids milk and what not. Fly through msp Seattle then to anchorage. On our way back the tsa guy asks my wife if this was her bag. She yes yeah that’s hers. They found a half empty box of .17 shells.

They scolded her and took her info down and we were almost late for our flight out. I got in deep shit for that, what made it even worse is she claimed the bag not me. Then in two weeks I really got my ass reamed when my wife got a fine in the mail. It’s crazy to think I was walking around with 17 rounds in msp and Seattle airports. She still gives me shit when ever she flies because she is sure she’s on the “list” now.

Last edited:
Not Henry specific, but I'm a .17 HMR fan. I've got a Savage 93R17 BTVS, it's a freaking laser, and box stock, it lives up to the phrase "tack driver." I've got a Savage A17 too, that's fun.

Dad's a weirdo lefty shooter, was interested in a .17 HMR but found the right hand thumb hole stock on my 93R17 annoying. There weren't a lot of lefty options at the time, so we got him a Ruger 96/17 when they existed, as a Christmas present one year. It's not a Henry, but it's a lever action .17 HMR, and has done a lot of varmint control on the farm.

A buddy had one with all kind of feed issues. Store he bought it at finally let him return it because they couldn’t get it to work properly.

I had a savage .17 hmr. It was a tack driver, and fun to shoot for a while. Sold it a few years back.

I am not a fan of .17 HMR when compared the options in .17. Look at the .17 WSM it is superior in every way possible. I love mine, it protects my chickens. HMR is in the back seat and will stay there for a while.

Since it doesn't appear that Henry offers a rifle in .17 WSM, any ballistic advantage it has over the HMR is kind of moot for this thread.

The WSM should out do the HMR, the WSM is a larger cartridge with more powder and heavier bullet. HMR has been around a lot longer, and is more prevalent. I don't shop for WSM ammo often, my father-in-law has a .17 WSM B-mag and I've gotten him ammo a few times, it's been more expensive than the HMR I'm used to buying.

If WSM had existed way back when I got my 93R17 I may be claiming to be a .17 WSM fan now.

I like .17 HMR, but at the same time it's a bit of a weird option. I have a Rossi single shot switchbarrel (I think they sold them as the Trifecta or something at some point with three barrels, but I picked two of them up as two barrel sets so I have .17 HMR, .308, 20ga and 12ga) and it is an absolute tack driver. And shooting so flat and fast makes it very easy to hit things in "real world conditions" versus .22LR. That said, it's so expensive to shoot that you might as well just go with a real caliber and be done with it. .223 has a ton more energy and is 1/4 the price (if that), with the only disadvantage I see being that it's louder and requires a heavier barrel for the same level of accuracy... But you can also shoot .223 out way farther then you're ever going to get the little .17 projectile to go.

I guess it would be great for discreet removal of gophers. :confused:

I like .17 HMR, but at the same time it's a bit of a weird option. I have a Rossi single shot switchbarrel (I think they sold them as the Trifecta or something at some point with three barrels, but I picked two of them up as two barrel sets so I have .17 HMR, .308, 20ga and 12ga) and it is an absolute tack driver. And shooting so flat and fast makes it very easy to hit things in "real world conditions" versus .22LR. That said, it's so expensive to shoot that you might as well just go with a real caliber and be done with it. .223 has a ton more energy and is 1/4 the price (if that), with the only disadvantage I see being that it's louder and requires a heavier barrel for the same level of accuracy... But you can also shoot .223 out way farther then you're ever going to get the little .17 projectile to go.

I guess it would be great for discreet removal of gophers. :confused:

i also have the .223 in a couple of firearms.
i have 4 acres, that when using the .223 is a little loud.
.17 is a little quieter for whistling pigs.

I have a Remington semi 597 in .17hmr. They were recalled and converted to 22lr for some reason but I enjoyed mine too much.

it is a good little round. We had a skunk problem. I could put 6 22lr rounds into a skunk and it would still make it into it's hole. Probably died there but who knows right?

Bought the Remington with matching scope, set it up at 150 yards. It drops skunks in one shot. Friend of mine uses one for prairie dog hunting. Cheap, fun and easy on ya to shoot all day.

They typically take 5000 rounds prairie dog hunting, the cost difference alone over 223 would pay for the gun.

My son has a 7mm, we setup at 200 yards. He could never hit the target, the 17 would.

It isn't the best ever, but certainly underrated.

Ive got a 17savage and I love it. Its the cheapest bolt gun they make, topped with the cheapest scope I could find. I give it bare minimum maintenance and it works just fine. I havent hunted with a 22 since I got it.

Top Back Refresh