What's new

Helping a woman get a new EDC

There’s a lot that could be at play. Many women are scared of guns in general, so the first time it’s loud and jumps they want to be done with it, whether or not it actually “hurts to shoot”.

95% of them are also never going to carry on their person, at least IWB, so leave the “concealable” aspect out of it and get something that is easy to shoot. I’m not arguing that it’s substantially better to have it on you than not, just that they aren’t going to do it. Get them a purse holster and fanny pack, most of the time it’s going to be left in the car or on a nightstand.

A J-frame revolver is one of the hardest guns to shoot even marginally accurately, same thing for the mouse gun .380’s.

Personally, I’d step back to a .22 and outdoor range where there aren’t a dozen people banging off rounds inside a tin can next to her. Ideally, you could find a ”pair” of .22/9mm that she can practice and carry with.

I think the whole “racking the slide/one handed manipulation/mag changes are complicated under stress“ arguments are dumb. Yes, they need to be able to load, unload, and clean the thing safely, but if they ever have to use it in self defense there should already be a round in the pipe, and the shooting is done when they run out of bullets.
I agree. Combat reloads and tactical drills are a waste of fucking time. 99% of shootings are done in under 5 rounds. Get her to draw cleanly, quickly and get her to put rounds in center mass as fast as possible.

+1 for more range time and training.

My wife just swapped her Sig EDC to a Kimber Micro Woodland (the one with a Crimson Trace)
So far she likes it a lot better than the P238 it replaced, but she has less than 1000 rounds thru it. No FTEs or other problems and she's fairly weak wristed.

I'm not a fan of the laser in that position, your finger blocks it when your booger hook is off the bang switch. Other than that it's a good weight and easily carried.

1619785882998.png

That is what I think I will have her try next.
You would have an easier time finding a new 9mm than low recoil rounds.
Avalibility on 9 is not great, but 38 is just flat out not avaliable at least around here.

Who knows when they are going to get around to making more 38, especially in a special low recoil loading.

Agreed but that is not likely in the near future.

She has done a 12 hour course and has been to the range and shot a few times but really does not enjoy it and time is not really there for me to keep her going.

I am looking for info on a semi that will least likely jam if shot with not perfect form.

Anything but that info is not really going to mean shit for this situation
If she isn’t willing to put in time to learn, a different gun won’t fix the problem. Give her a rape whistle and some mace.

also, .38 is pretty tepid. It has less power and recoil than a 9mm in a similar size firearm.

To be clear, I don't think the ease of functioning the slide is important from a tactical or stress situation, I think it is important from an everyday life situation. If it isn't comfortable, it isn't going to be used ever, if it isn't ever used it won't be confident to carry or even to keep in a drawer

My wife has medical issues that don't allow her to consistently cycle a semi auto, so we went with a revolver. The LCR 9 was hammerless so it doesn't get caught on shit in her purse, heavy enough to limit recoil and she felt good about shooting it. Caveat, she was in the military so was already comfortable with firearms in general and a pretty damn good shot.

Top Back Refresh