What's new

Helpful hints for newbies doing Dana 60 gear setup

-12.5 degrees F boiling point. Guess cans of compressed gas aren't CO2 like I thought or imagined :confused: let's see if this works

20240518_180743.jpg

20240518_180737.jpg

Last edited:
1.5 bottle and it tapped in nice, worked as good as it should

Took out 3 thou from pinion bearing and now at 10 in lb preload

20240518_185422.jpg

20240518_185410.jpg

20240518_185359.jpg

20240518_185343.jpg

Still deep. Contemplating just running it :rasta:

If this was out of the rig. I'd do it a couple more times. This working on the ground stuff is a killer

:smokin: thank you! Confirms I'm where I want to be

Made a stencil and labeled the diff cover :laughing: got it all buttoned up, going to go put some heat cycles into it today. 15 minutes, cool, repeat.

20240519_134653.jpg

Well damn :laughing: speedometer almost works. Steady under 20 mph, but the abs pulses. Speedometer gets more and more wild with speed, but the abs won't kick on until under 25ish mph.

Guess I was almost round enough with the grinder :lmao:

alright, I gave this an attempt at putting pictures and videos together in a way that sort of makes sense :rasta: since it took me a while to do, i'm going to :spam: it across the board

20240609_161650.jpg

Welp, this is me giving up :laughing:

Absolutely no way could I get the 0.119 shims back in behind the bearings.

Couldn't get a short stack of 0.050 shims behind, went down to about 0.036 or so. 3 thin ones. Absolutely refused to cooperate and they went ahead and splayed out. Worse on one side, not good on the other side. This was done with the housing spread set to 0.015 and freeze spray on the bearings.

Probably would've been more successful removing the axle from the vehicle.

Oh well, next time I guess :rasta:

20240609_130137.jpg

20240609_130144.jpg

Point a torpedo heater at the housing and stick the carrier in the freezer. Shit is like 10" long. 100deg will get you ten thou. :laughing:

Edit: Fuck I should do that when I set up my D80 :laughing:

Point a torpedo heater at the housing and stick the carrier in the freezer. Shit is like 10" long. 100deg will get you ten thou. :laughing:

Edit: Fuck I should do that when I set up my D80 :laughing:
Case spreader got me 15, I did think about torching the housing as well but wasn't sure how much more to go with it. Did use Duster freeze spray to get the 30ish in both sides. The damed shit just wouldn't stay.

Leads me to the rela question, is there any reason why the internet consensus is that there must be shims on both sides of the bearings? It'd be easier to hammer together if I just put significant amounts between the carrier and bearing, instead of doing backlash adjustment there and preload between the housing and bearing

Case spreader got me 15, I did think about torching the housing as well but wasn't sure how much more to go with it. Did use Duster freeze spray to get the 30ish in both sides. The damed shit just wouldn't stay.

Leads me to the rela question, is there any reason why the internet consensus is that there must be shims on both sides of the bearings? It'd be easier to hammer together if I just put significant amounts between the carrier and bearing, instead of doing backlash adjustment there and preload between the housing and bearing
The 05 sd60 I'm doing only has shim between the carrier and bearing, nothing outside of that.

Top Back Refresh