What's new

Help with TH400 to Ford NP205

Doberman Racing

Backyard Fabricator
Member Number
Loc
New Jersey
I have a TH400 that I was told is out of an H1. It has a 2.5" stick out 32 spline output shaft. My front axle is a Superduty 35 spline D60 so I'm needing a driverside drop tcase.

I'm in the middle of build a cage/backhalf chassis, 2" rogue fab die, swapping from leafs to king coilovers, front and rear stretch, 6.0 swap, seats, harnesses, etc so my wallet has been used an abused these last three weeks collecting parts and buying tools.

I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as I can :lmao:

Considering last night was the first time I've ever even seen a picture of an Np205 I stayed up late and did some reading.

From what I gather is the Ford NP205 (married) is a 31 spline input shaft. Some GM np205 cases used a 32 spline input shaft along with a bigger bearing. The Ford 31 spline case
​​uses the same size bearing as the GM 32 spline input case.

GM also has 10 and 27 spline inputs but they are of no use to me.

The Ford also has 32 spline fixed yoke outputs vs GM 205s which can have either a fixed or slip yoke.

The Ford NP205 uses a 6 bolt pattern and GM is 8 bolt until they went to 6 bolt like on the Ford. The NP 208 which came mated to TH400 from the factory also uses the same 6 bolt pattern.

If I swap the GM 32 spline input into the Ford NP205 case I can use the factory TH400/NP208 adapter? Is there a more economical solution?

Is there anything I'm understanding wrong about these cases?

My build is running 37s, 5.38 gears in the axles, and I plan on stepping up to 42s asap.
​​​​​​
With a stock 6.0, th400, is the 2:1 low going to be enough for 42s?

​​​​​​Should I stop being a bitch and pony up to build a 203/205 doubler or does that put me in used atlas territory?

​​​​

NWF Ecobox, get a junkyard 6 pinion planentary gear setup from a Chevy NP241. Then you'll have a range box and adaptor to the Ford tcase all in one package for about $1000.

This is basically what I did to bolt my ford 205 to bolt to back of my chevy nv 4500. The NWF ecobox I mean. I just used the 241 that came with the 4500 for the planetary. The NWF ecobox mounted to the 205 is within an inch or so of being the same length as the stock 241.

Last edited:
While yes the 6bolt patterns are the same, the clocking is different.

Youll want the 32 SHORT input.

Get trans in place.
Order input
Strip 205
Place empty case on trans and mark adapter and case together.

Drill new bolt pattern into case as you see fit.

Reassemble 205 with gm in put.

I found a master 205 gasket kit $30 from cobra trans in florida

Im right in the middle of putting my ecobox together. Make sure you put the annular ring gear in the right direction, don't accidentally flip it and don't ask how I know.
Yes you will need more gearing. Do it now so you have the correct axle gears for both speed and crawling.
The 241 I got had the wrong input, it was for a 700R4 so I got a 32 spline input gear off ebay.

Im right in the middle of putting my ecobox together. Make sure you put the annular ring gear in the right direction, don't accidentally flip it and don't ask how I know.
Yes you will need more gearing. Do it now so you have the correct axle gears for both speed and crawling.
The 241 I got had the wrong input, it was for a 700R4 so I got a 32 spline input gear off ebay.

It's been a year or 2 since i put mine together so I can't remember for sure. Doesn't it have a lip on it?

It's been a year or 2 since i put mine together so I can't remember for sure. Doesn't it have a lip on it?

Yes there is a groove that goes in first. As the gear is pressed in, the splines cut into the case the shavings fill in the groove so they don’t pile and get jammed up when you get to the bottom when it seats flat. It also keeps the shavings from getting into the case and oil.

Top Back Refresh