What's new

Help with recurring power steering issues

lagunaMS

4 by drive
Member Number
Loc
Dixie
Brief summary and background info:
-97 K1500, 6" BDS lift on 35s. Current p/s pump is a reman unit from O'Reilly, using their p/s lines too.
-Steering box is not original, receipt from previous owner shows it was replaced with a reman unit before I got the truck.
-Bought the truck 4 years ago with a p/s leak, replaced the lines.
-Pump started whining 6 months later, replaced the pump.
-Pump shit the bed 2 years ago, replaced it.
-Pitman seal replaced around this time.
-Blew out a high pressure line 6 months later backing into my driveway, replaced it. Steering had been loose and wander-ey so I tightened the adjustment on top of the box ever so slightly, like 1/8 turn.
-Vacation to Chattanooga in February, lost all p/s on top of Lookout Mountain. Line at the back of the EVO bypass pipe was leaking because it worked loose somehow and lost fluid. Tightened it, topped off fluid, all good since then.
-Sustained higher RPMs (say, climbing a hill while towing) and the pump starts whining. Goes away when RPM drops again.

That brings us to now. Tried to cross a branch on my grandma's farm and buried the truck, not a lot of wheel turning but some high RPMs to try to get out. Tried to turn the wheels some but during the action all p/s functions were lost. Got out of the bog, pump was full of fluid, not a drop of p/s fluid leaking from anywhere, no sticks or anything jamming up the center link.

First question: what the fuck?
2nd question: What is causing this to happen repeatedly? Are 35s really though much trouble for IFS with a 6" lift? SAS is in the parts-gathering stage and can't start it yet. Hydro assist will probably help once the SAS is done, but again I can't do that right now.
3rd: is this because of the steering gear? time for a new one that doesn't suck ass?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh