What's new

help me pick a live valve golfcart

wvracer821

Member Number
Loc
Morgantown, WV
I've been doing some shopping and I think that I am going to unload my General XP soon for something a little more sporty. I'm pretty set on getting something with livevalve shocks. The models I'm considering are not in any particular order. I push my general pretty hard at times and I'm not happy with the suspension although it has been a great machine for me other than the lack of travel. most of its life will be spent doing normal east coast trail riding but I would like to race it in the future at some point.

Kawasaki KRX 1000 ES
Starts at $25,699
68" wide
31" tires
1,945 lbs
112 hp

Honda Talon 1000R
Starts at $23,299
68" Wide
28" tires
Weight 1,554 lbs
105 hp

Polaris RZR Pro R Ultimate
Starts at $40,699
74" Wide
32" tires
Weight 2,187 lbs
225 hp

Polaris RZR Pro XP Ultimate
Starts at $33,199
64" wide
30" tires
Weight 1,795 lbs
181 hp

Polaris RZR Turbo R Ultimate
Starts at $35,299
74" wide
32" tires
Weight 2,013 lbs
181 hp

Can-Am x3 X RS Turbo RR
Starts at $32,599
72" wide
32" tires
weight 1,699 lbs
200 hp

I have been leaning towards the KRX just because I feel like its the best package for the money even thought its heavy and underpowered. Especially after watching some videos from shock therapy where they analyze the suspension design. My 2nd guess would be the Honda for the same reasons. I'm not a brand loyal nut swinger of any kind and I'm open to any input from everyone here.

Can-Am x3 X RS Turbo RR
Starts at $32,599
72" wide
32" tires
weight 1,699 lbs
200 hp

this one
you dont want to race anything that is underpowered. and with a couple upgrades they are absolutley tanks. it is the longest running platform you listed and still top of its class. that says allot that the new things aren't better.

polaris is fucking garbage. that eliminates them. and anything will appear more durable if it only has half the power. that eliminates your other choices. unless your racing abition is to go slow.

Last edited:
Most of my experience is with Polaris stuff and I agree they are made of glass and don't hold up. most of them around here are junk in 1,000 miles. the KRX seemed like a good choice for me for trail riding which is what I do the most of. I have had my eye on an x3 for a very long time

Talon is not good at slow speed stuff, clutch engagement is jumpy, plus no front locker.

From what I've read, krx if you want a reliable, smooth crawler for less money out of the box and can am if you want a less shitty sport sxs than a rzr. :laughing:

I have been passenger in a KRX while rockcrawling on some pretty nasty shit. Was very impressed.

That would be my #1 choice for a crawler. Throw on some sticky 35's, a quality roll cage and go have fun.

20200208_141759.jpg

I actually didn’t know the talon didn’t have a front locker. Is can am still using that stupid viscous locker thing? I worked on a commander years ago that had major issues with that.

I actually didn’t know the talon didn’t have a front locker. Is can am still using that stupid viscous locker thing? I worked on a commander years ago that had major issues with that.

no. they got rid of that garbage. although its still what is mine. and i really haven't had any major issues that weren't self inflicted, but hate the different axles on each side. in any case a visco can be sent into sandcraft and they set it up better than factory and warrenty their work. (sandcraft are great people, we hunted them down in the middle of a sand storm this past new years and they weren't doing company things... but still dropped everything to help, fed us beers and refused to take any money. )

they have a smart lok now. electric selectable, and works very well.... and it has equal length axles.

Last edited:
I definitely appreciate all the input. I’m reconsidering the X3 now. I know the aftermarket for the can am is much better than the KRX. I’ve been keeping up with some of the KOH threads here and I was impressed to learn that the leading can am cars are running reinforced stock chassis. Does can am use sealed wheel bearings at least? That’s one of the most aggravating things about my General. Using that stupid tool to grease the bearings all the time sucks.

I have a RZR 1K XP. 3600 miles on it and it's been pretty trouble free. I have rebuilt the front diff once and trans this winter. Those were both done to fix the shitty Chinese bearings in them. It works great for what I do but for my style of wheeling (crawling/trailer riding) I would buy a KRX. A couple buddies have them and love them.

If you wanna go fast but crawl as well i would look into the Can Am 72" RC edition. Another buddy has one and at 195hp stock that thing is a monster. Factory 32s but he runs 35" sticky Zillas on it when crawling and 35" Gladiators when trail riding. He drug his thru the CT Raceworx shop and bought what stuck. :laughing:

I definitely appreciate all the input. I’m reconsidering the X3 now. I know the aftermarket for the can am is much better than the KRX. I’ve been keeping up with some of the KOH threads here and I was impressed to learn that the leading can am cars are running reinforced stock chassis. Does can am use sealed wheel bearings at least? That’s one of the most aggravating things about my General. Using that stupid tool to grease the bearings all the time sucks.

i dont know much about what wheel bearing they have.

i konw that my xp1k didn't make it 1000mi before needing new bearings. however my x3 has 3000mi and a friends is at 5500mi and neither of us has touched our wheel bearings. we are extremely hard on our machines too.

I've driven all of them except for the ProR.

Seating position and visibility in the CanAm sucks, cargo space is almost as bad.

All the non-turbo ones are plenty fast enough for me, outside of the dunes. Even in the dunes, I'd be ok with a N/A for one or two trips a year.

Honda uses a gear driven limited slip combined with an ABS style traction control. It's not a locker, but it drives really nice, and from my experience works 90% as well as a locker. Rear just has a spool.

Polaris RZR Pro R Ultimate
Starts at $40,699
74" Wide
32" tires
Weight 2,187 lbs
225 hp

Polaris RZR Pro XP Ultimate
Starts at $33,199
64" wide
30" tires
Weight 1,795 lbs
181 hp

Polaris RZR Turbo R Ultimate
Starts at $35,299
74" wide
32" tires
Weight 2,013 lbs
181 hp

do these come with the "stop ride" order with the title now?

I have 2000 miles on a KRX.

Love this thing. I rented one 2x before I bought. And 1 rented weekend in a 2 seat Rmax1000. Xp1000 and 800 rides. All testing to shop for the right machine for me.

Ride group, 2019 turbo Polaris, 2022 Rmax4, 2022 Can am 4 seater rr xp cr whatnot the big hp one but 64"..., older Polaris 900 with all the stuff done, 2021 YXZ 1000.

East Coast, FRO, AOAA, Hatfield Mccoy

IMHO, nothing keeps with the KRX in my geoup, either slow speed comfort cruising, or all out race pace.

Drag race, the can am and polaris got it.

Drag race with actually terrain, KRX suspension makes up for it.

I did have the popping out of gear on decel issue easily resolved at the dealer, has not been a problem since.

I went with 33s, compromise of trying to not make it a project vehicle and 35s are going to tax more stuff.

Any of the new offerings are awesome machines. Most will get similar personalization, seats, harnesses, skid plates, cages...

Thanks Ross

This hunt continues. I sold my General XP to a guy I work with so I’m shopping seriously now. Got to kick tires at a couple dealerships today. The Can Am seats don’t fit me at all but everything else is dope other than laying down to drive. Honda talon seats are the best for me but the KRX is good too especially with all the extra room in the cab. I’m working on locating a KRX ES now. Closest one I can find is 2 hours away.

no experience with the Can Am electronic shocks but a couple friends have the X3 and they raised the rear seat mount a bit to give a more upright seating position.

I’ve been looking at that. Seems like the seats are something I could buy my way out of pretty easy. I’m still on the fence between the KRX and x3. Seems like I change my mind daily

Top Back Refresh