What's new

Help me build a digital thermometer

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I would like to fabricate a digital read out thermometer to monitor the temp of the syrup as it's being made. Basic premise is to see temp at a glance.
I have two requirements, fairly large digital readout like 2-3 inch numbers
Must be able to read up to 220 plus F. (about the temp for syrup)
I can solder, am somewhat familiar with the components I just don't know the architecture.
I am wanting to mount it about 8-10' from the pan.
I'm not opposed to buying something but in my searching I haven't found anything that suits me yet.
Don't want bluetooth
we do have power in the sugarhouse.
Thanks

not trying to be a dick but.....

isn't this an off the shelf kitchen item?
little old ladies need big readouts, I bet you that there is something

$400?

damn.

can do the same for less than a hundo with some arduino.

can do the same for less than a hundo with some arduino.

Dave can do it!

not trying to be a dick but.....

isn't this an off the shelf kitchen item?
little old ladies need big readouts, I bet you that there is something
Well the 8-10' probe cable seems to be one limiting factor but I also haven't found anything overly large to read at a glance. I do like the bit red one but not at $400...lol

Well the 8-10' probe cable seems to be one limiting factor but I also haven't found anything overly large to read at a glance. I do like the bit red one but not at $400...lol
I found a remote temp for the powdercoat oven that I can watch from inside a different shop

want to say I found it at Home Depot a few years back

Just need a thermocouple, some wire, and something to hook it up to...pretty trivial?

Inkbird ITC 308
Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller 2-Stage Outlet Thermostat Heating and Cooling Mode Carboy Homebrew Fermenter Greenhouse Terrarium 110V 10A 1100W https://a.co/d/4rxrAtY

Thermapen company makes this too

One of the various bbq thermometers out there? I've got a 50 buck inkbird with 4 thermocouples, a big LCD readout and an app on my phone that I can use to set temp, time, etc alarms. It also graphs temp over time so you can review your cook.

If you want diy I'd just use an arduino. Plenty of tutorials and parts out there. Coding for temp sensor and LCD readout will be very simple.

One of the various bbq thermometers out there? I've got a 50 buck inkbird with 4 thermocouples, a big LCD readout and an app on my phone that I can use to set temp, time, etc alarms. It also graphs temp over time so you can review your cook.

If you want diy I'd just use an arduino. Plenty of tutorials and parts out there. Coding for temp sensor and LCD readout will be very simple.
Inkbird like the Kegorator controllers?

Feels warm.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is 12 volt and cheap,not as big as you want but if you get the right probe that's longer you can probably get closer to you . If you search home brew kettle stuff you will find alot , from a weld in bung to high temp silicone thread style. Also there are probes that have a plug on them which is probably something you'd want for non use storage. It seems like there is no in between in the size or price. Big ones are commercial unit and big money.

This is 12 volt and cheap,not as big as you want but if you get the right probe that's longer you can probably get closer to you . If you search home brew kettle stuff you will find alot , from a weld in bung to high temp silicone thread style. Also there are probes that have a plug on them which is probably something you'd want for non use storage. It seems like there is no in between in the size or price. Big ones are commercial unit and big money.

Problem with this one it only goes to 99.9F I need to go over 220.00 F

Problem with this one it only goes to 99.9F I need to go over 220.00 F
Well that description is a bit confusing, almost reads that if you start out with low - temp only reads till 99.9, but if starts out at higher temp it will go 999deg. There were a few pics below that a guy used a couple for a coffee bean roaster. I Googled that temp and come up with 350-480 deg.

Thanks everyone, looks like I have a few great options and I won't have to build one :beer:

Top Back Refresh