What's new

Helmet Audio

grumpy356

bordering on illiterate
Member Number
I like to listen to the radio when I ride.
I have a Sena 10s, but I’d like to upgrade the sound quality or volume a bit.

I see Sena offers 2 different speakers upgrades offered, but neither are comparable with the 10s

So apparently plug and play is out, so I’ll solder or wire a different set of speakers into the harness.

Anybody done it, have recommendations on speakers, tips, tricks, things to look out for?

Is there a better system? What are you using?

I’d like not to be real deep into it financially, but (speaking just for me) it adds to the riding experience so I’ll chip off what I need to.

(Yeah… yeah…. Quiet , peaceful, sit with your thoughts…. I’ve tried it, and that’s when I get lost in my head and it can be dark…. I like to drown that shit out)

I use custom molded in ear monitors. Much better sound quality than any helmet mounted speaker.

You must be careful though, some brands sound like shit.

I bought my first pair at Lauguna Seca when I was there for the MotoGP race. I was able to listen to some before purchasing.

This is the company that makes mine.

Edit to add, your comm unit must obviously have a port for you to plug them in. I currently have Sena 20s

I have a 20s evo and got the upgraded speakers. I wear ear plugs also, and the upgraded speakers were just louder enough to be able to hear decently on the interstate in a headwind.

I tried various headphones, but found dealing with the wires too annoying. I then tried various bluetooth earbuds, but either the size wan't comfortable under the helmet, or the smaller ones had shit battery life, or they'd knock loose when puting the helmet on/off.

So, ear plugs and sena speakers is the best compromise of volume, comfort, and ease for my application.

We run the chatterbox
I mainly use it for helmet-to-helmet but I know they will link up to whatever you want

we run them off road, and are hard on them

We have broke mounts, but customer support was stellar. Including replacing things that were not even in warranty anymore without even being asked

Top Back Refresh