What's new

Heim joint steering question.

Thrown_hammer

Doofus
Member Number
I have a Jeep LJ with the old Rock Krawler heim steering and want to replace the heim joints.

I called Rock Krawler and the no longer sell or support my steering. He said they might have some heims for it but need to check.

He also said they were specifically made for their steering and are thicker than normal heims. Not sure what is thicker, so I'm waiting to hear back from them so I can ask.

Any reason something like this wouldn't work?

Barnes 4wd heim link

Bob at Rock Krawler is telling me if they don't have replacements I'm basically screwed and need all new steering...

I'm working on it. There is no info online any more and I haven't had time to take the steering apart.

3/4" heims that are thicker is all i know right now after speaking to Bob.

He also said they were specifically made for their steering and are thicker than normal heims. Not sure what is thicker, so I'm waiting to hear back from them so I can ask.

Bob at Rock Krawler is telling me if they don't have replacements I'm basically screwed and need all new steering...

First line sounds like BS.

Second line is definitely BS.

Do they have tapered or odd sized misalignments and bolts to bolt up to the stock knuckles? Beyond that it shouldn't matter if they're "thicker".

Here's the reply from Rock Krawler. It appears that they have to order them from someone else. Do these part numbers mean anything to anyone here?

Hello Sir,

The following PN’s below are what you would need.

Tie rod ends are XM-10-12 X2 = $34.99 apiece for a Grand Total of $69.98

And drag link is XM-12 for $34.99 apiece that use HMS –10-12 spacers for $26.99 a pair for a grand total of $61.98

Lead time is 2-3 weeks, We would need to order them.

Thanks.

XM-12 should be a 3/4 shank - 3/4 bore RH heim

HMS-10-12 should be a high misalignment spacer that goes in a 3/4" bore that accepts a 5/8" bolt.

Not sure on the tie rod ends.

I'll call FK. I went out and measured stuff. The draglink heim is a standard 3/4x3/4 but the tie rod ones are actually thinner across the flats. See attached.

.570" versus .687"

Does it matter ?
Can you put a regular heim in its place ?
Looks like maybe it needs to be thinner? Top one is tie rod, bottom is drop link.
20221031_112643.jpg

Looks like maybe it needs to be thinner? Top one is tie rod, bottom is drop link.
20221031_112643.jpg
Huh, actually looks like a thicker one may give everything more clearance and movement.... unless the idea is that the thinner one will allow the tierod to move/roll less

So, it looks like the top one doesn't have misalignment spacers of any sort. Is that a 3/4 shank X 5/8 bore rod end? That is what is looks like to me. I am not seeing anything special.

So, it looks like the top one doesn't have misalignment spacers of any sort. Is that a 3/4 shank X 5/8 bore rod end? That is what is looks like to me. I am not seeing anything special.
That's what I thought too.

OP: I haven't touched a jeep since the tj days so I'm out of the loop on this stuff. So the drag link is mounted under the knuckle? Is the tie rod kicked out to clear the diff cover since it's now higher? That would explain the lack of misalignment spacers to keep it from going too wobbly.

what are you measuring when you say the flats? The race thickness? The doesn't matter really. Go to Auorua or FK wedsite and get whatever matches the closest. 0.05" isn't going to matter.

what are you measuring when you say the flats? The race thickness? The doesn't matter really. Go to Auorua or FK wedsite and get whatever matches the closest. 0.05" isn't going to matter.
See attached that i forgot to attach last time.

20221102_154312.jpg

Put a bigger one in there and check if it doesn't hit anything.

Looking on the Barnes website and with help from here I am almost certain that the tie rod heims are just 3/4x 5/8 heims with no spacer, and the draglink is a 3/4x3/4 heim with a misalignment spacer.

Draglink heim
750x750-heim-joint-dimensions_44288efc-7e8d-46fe-86cf-d5bcfb9c38e1.jpg

Tie rod heim
750x625-heim-joint-dimensions_231f978a-9dff-4de4-b668-5bdf9a9c8045.jpg

It's a thick washer you put on top of the rod end between the botl head. It's used so if the race ever came loose from the ball it couldn't pop over the bolt head.

I've had it happen with super cheap crap or smaller sized joints but never with anything that is a good quality. I wouldn't say it's a must, if a race come loose from the ball that much I'm not sure a washer is going to do anything.

Top Back Refresh