What's new

Heavy duty ring terminals

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Got a source or idea?

I need to crimp some rings on some #10 wire and hate how thin ring terminals get when you go below #6. Does anybody make anything more like a cable lug for #10? Basically a heavy wall copper terminal for that size wire.

Hardware store is where I score such items.

Copper battery cable lug ends? I think I've seen them in that size before.
Thereabouts. Every ring terminal I find is only 0.040" thick. Too easy to fracture. I'd like to find a lug to fit that is made just like the heavy wall copper tubing stamped into a lug.

Buy copper tube of appropriate size... Smash end closed and drill to 1/4"... Profit?
Exactly what I've been pondering. I looked up doing that for 4/0 cable some time ago. Heavy wall copper was $$$. Cost effective for smaller wire, it seems.

Havent lived in your area in 40 years but I'm sure the springs has an electrical supplier.

I'll go, but I'm sure they're all just as flimsy as what I'm finding online. Going #10 to 1/4" stud.

That said, I need to find maybe a couple feet of this size. Annealed, preferably, but that may not matter for this. I'm pretty sure the coils at hardware store have a thinner wall.

1630730811977.png

Havent lived in your area in 40 years but I'm sure the springs has an electrical supplier.

Grainger and Graybar are here. Checked both their sites and got the same thing - any #10 to 1/4" stud terminal is 0.040" thick. Kinda doubt they're open tomorrow, but I'll call. There should be more places to check, too.

Is this what your looking for? I get them from imperial supplies.

It is, but that looks about the same as all others. The lugs only go down to #6 AWG. Smaller than that, they're ring terminals and made with a much thinner metal. Flat sheet that is stamped and rolled to make the tube rather than copper tube stamped to make the tongue.

Hmmm. Friggin' Amazon. The reviews don't give me a good vibe, but the price is convincing enough to try them.
Reviews seemed pretty good to me.....250 reviews and 90% 4 or 5 stars. Just ignore the dickhead that gave them 3 stars because he tried to drill the lug hole out to 3/8" :shaking:

Those were just the first ones that popped up too. If you look at the related items there are several others.

I just searched "#10 wire lug" and those were one of the first hits.

Reviews seemed pretty good to me.....250 reviews and 90% 4 or 5 stars. Just ignore the dickhead that gave them 3 stars because he tried to drill the lug hole out to 3/8" :shaking:

Those were just the first ones that popped up too. If you look at the related items there are several others.

I just searched "#10 wire lug" and those were one of the first hits.
I saw the one that attempted to drill them. That's on him. Other said they're for #8. I should still be able to smash that to crimp onto #10. I don't do Amazon, so I'll have my wife order a pack. The copper tubing is in my McMaster cart in case I need to go that route.

I went through Burndy, Panduit, Quick Cable and several others last night. Still going through them today. Some of the catalogs really suck.
I have them at work but hopefully won't be back until Tuesday, I can check then.

What size stud are you looking for? 6, 8, 10, ¼?
1/4" stud and 10awg wire. That Burndy is pretty close. Maybe this? - Amazon.com: Burndy YAV10T3-BOX One Hole Hylug Code Conductor Standard Barrel Copper Compression Terminal, 14-#10, Str, 12-#10, Sol Conductor, 1/4" Stud Hole Size, 0.47" Tongue Width, 1.10" Length (Pack of 50) : Industrial & Scientific

I'm not sure what exactly this means

14-#10, Str, 12-#10, Sol Conductor​

14-10 gauge, or 12-10 gauge? Str is "straight". Sol is "solder". Either way, as long as the tube is big enough to fit #10 wire in, it's good. It looks thick, but I know the picture is likely just a representation.

1/4" stud and 10awg wire. That Burndy is pretty close. Maybe this? - Amazon.com: Burndy YAV10T3-BOX One Hole Hylug Code Conductor Standard Barrel Copper Compression Terminal, 14-#10, Str, 12-#10, Sol Conductor, 1/4" Stud Hole Size, 0.47" Tongue Width, 1.10" Length (Pack of 50) : Industrial & Scientific

I'm not sure what exactly this means

14-#10, Str, 12-#10, Sol Conductor​

14-10 gauge, or 12-10 gauge? Str is "straight". Sol is "solder". Either way, as long as the tube is big enough to fit #10 wire in, it's good. It looks thick, but I know the picture is likely just a representation.
14-10 stranded 12-10 solid

14-10 stranded 12-10 solid
Right on, man. Probably have too much beer in me at the moment. I'll send the link to the wifey. I have to get different breakers, but they're the same rating with the same size studs.

Edit: DXF drawing says the tongue is only 0.050". Hardly any thicker than the ring terminals. I give the Burndy's a try though.

Last edited:
50 YAV10T3 ordered through Allied. They were priced better than Amazon and they had a bunch in stock. Amazon and everywhere else appeared to be at least two weeks out. Appreciate all the help here.

Top Back Refresh