What's new

Headlight Assemblies

Weasel

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Black Hills, SoDak
My 07 Chevy has fogged up yellow headlights. I figured it was just the normal yellowing and had excellent luck with the Sylvania cleaning kit. Anyways they are butter but still hazed to crap. I'm wondering if the inside of the housing is fogged/yellowed. These lights were moded by someone to fit HID style bulbs. Ie the lens have been removed at some point.

So any ideas on who mods existing housing for other style bulbs. I check Rtrofit.com and some others but they only seem to have bolt in stuff now. Or places that sorta show you how to disassemble and reassemble them?

These guys sell some build parts but haven't found much else yet.

The retro fit source was where I got the parts and directions how to do mine. Not sure if that’s what you are asking.

Yeah the above was mistyped I did check Retro Fit Source but they seem to be all bolt in stuff now.

I'd like to get new housings and re-install the projector bulbs in the new housing, but my current headlights were dismantled at some point. I'd rather pay someone to do that then screw with it myself.

I'm wandering down the same path with replacing lenses and stuff on BMW headlamps.
I've tried to disassemble the glue with a heat gun, but no joy.
It's gonna get stuck in the oven when my wife isn't around I think. A dremel might become involved. Luckily I have three dead ones to practice the technique on before I take apart my good working pair.

considered just buying some decent aftermarket ones? I would, but have fancy headlight shit that makes them turn with the wheels that I never want to give up.

That the issue with mine, they have the projector HID installed and work amazing/great with clear lenses.

So, just a idea, but a good friend that owns a body shop has created quite a niche market restoring housings on infinities, BMW, Mercedes, etc by sanding them with 400 grit and spraying automotive clear on them. He then colorsands and polishes like normal, which has them looking like new. Usually charges 200.00 a set, but when a replacement housing is easily 1600.00, it becomes a viable option. I figured it's something you could try with say a good spray can clear and some time, since yours are kind of trashed as is.

There's a guy by the name of tony Rojo on fb, he does a bang up job. Not too pricey and 100% would recommend.

So, just a idea, but a good friend that owns a body shop has created quite a niche market restoring housings on infinities, BMW, Mercedes, etc by sanding them with 400 grit and spraying automotive clear on them. He then colorsands and polishes like normal, which has them looking like new. Usually charges 200.00 a set, but when a replacement housing is easily 1600.00, it becomes a viable option. I figured it's something you could try with say a good spray can clear and some time, since yours are kind of trashed as is.
I have sanded and cleared mine previously, and it held up pretty well.
This is 3 years in:
IMG_20210425_191631455 (1).jpg

but they're crazing on the inside. I assume from the heat. I don't know. little spiderweb cracks on the inside that light up when you turn on the headlamps.
so I've found where I can buy new OEM lenses, from latvia, but taking them apart and getting them back together is the hard part, without destroying a thousand dollar assembly like you say.

but sanding and clearing them with a real clearcoat is totally a possibility and works.

Top Back Refresh