What's new

Hawaii build? Spend my money!!

89Breaker

Around
Member Number
I have a job opportunity in Hawaii (Oahu) and will buy a jeep if this goes through. I'd love the gladiator rubicon diesel but budget is leading to gas rubicon OR diesel sport then upgrade lockers later.

The diesel reliability is a concern as I have limited shops in area and parts will take forever to ship.

What is the off-road scene like around Oahu?
Are lockers necessary?

You'll want lockers and a gas motor. There is lots of thick gooey clay-like mud that'll fill the tread on your tires. You'll enjoy the RPMs that a gas engine will give you to help clean out the tread. There are rocks, but they mud is what'll get ya. That diesel has a lower tow rating than the gas motor. Strange

After way too much internet searching I've surrendered to a gas gladiator rubicon.
Holy hell the prices are high, unless you want a mortgage for a car payment.

I can recommend a sales person at Dave Smith in Kellogg ID. I shopped dealerships across the country and they were thousands less. Even though I'm in AK, it was still cheaper to buy in down there than to buy one up here.

I can recommend a sales person at Dave Smith in Kellogg ID. I shopped dealerships across the country and they were thousands less. Even though I'm in AK, it was still cheaper to buy in down there than to buy one up here.

I’ve heard many people say the same about Dave Smith..... never used him myself but he’s been around a long time with that reputation!!!

Check them out online and give them a call. I couldn't find a dealer who would sell me one at MSRP. They all had mark up because these are specialty vehicles. At DSM, I paid thousands below MSRP.

I'm not a paid, or otherwise associated anything with DSM. I just got a really good deal.

And for anyone interested, I never set foot in their dealership. Because I'm in AK, I was able to do the whole thing over the phone. They e-mailed me what I needed, then old-fashion mailed me the paperwork. I signed everything and sent it back. Aside from a kerfuffle with UPS, it all went smoothly (never trust UPS shipping to or from Alaska).

I'm having it delivered. They charged me a few hundred dollars to ship it to Seattle via truck. Then Alaska Marine Lines will bring it the rest of the way.

I hope we're not hyjacking the OP's thread. But I did all the same research and decided that a gas model make way more sense for me. Diesel is very expensive up here and quality is not great. Plus I don't put enough miles on a vehicle to justify the MPG savings. Finally, sometimes, you just need a little RPM. And the new diesel just doesn't turn as high. Oh yeah, and I have to tow a 7K pound boat.

Last edited:
I thought that a toyota sr5 with a double chrome bed bar, a 6 inch lift, and 33x14.50r15 tires were pretty much required if you wanted to wheel in Hawaii? :flipoff2:

Good discussion, no hijack at all.

Definitely set on basically a loaded rubicon although some features I'll give up as the aftermarket can do those but others arent as easy.
I also don't want to spend more time wrenching than necessary and will hit the ground running.

Will check into dave smith.

Good discussion, no hijack at all.

Definitely set on basically a loaded rubicon although some features I'll give up as the aftermarket can do those but others arent as easy.
I also don't want to spend more time wrenching than necessary and will hit the ground running.

Will check into dave smith.

I agree with what you're doing. I did the same thing, even though I plan on Ultiamte 60s and a long arm kit. I'll be able to recover some of that money when I sell the Rubi axles. However I'll have a 4:1 case. I was able to avoid the $1K front winch bumper, since I know I'm going aftermarket. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to get the Safety package and Cruise assist. They are both completely useless in Alaska. But that's how dealers and spec'ing them.

Ok, now I’m leaning towards the mojave for stronger frame.
I’d do the lockers aftermarket but the reinforced mojave frame is preferred. Just don’t know if sleeved or welds and doubt if rubicon frame can be reinforced without a lot of effort.

Most wheeling on oahu is private land, so make some friends and look into local wheeling groups.

I thought that a toyota sr5 with a double chrome bed bar, a 6 inch lift, and 33x14.50r15 Thornbirds on 16" wide rims were pretty much required if you wanted to wheel in Hawaii? :flipoff2:
Yup

Let’s see it.....

Here ya go. I never would have chosen the side and hood graphic but now happy with them.
Apparently the rubicon will fit 35s with no lift.
:smokin:

63494735800__5570B900-87C9-47EA-AFB6-BC2D0555A2B2.fullsizerender.jpeg

63494746146__77B58F52-B7F9-4B3E-837A-58D23CE6125E.fullsizerender.jpeg

Top Back Refresh