What's new

Have your earnings increased in the welfare era?

general 3% raises last couple of years but getting hit up weekly for other better offers. I think the job market for professionals is as hot as it's been in years. It's a really good time to look at hopping to another company people are throwing out big dollars right now. My boss just gave his notice and got a 30% raise for his next job. Two of my peers left in the last 60 days for 15-25% raises. The money is out there but not at your current company
My wife works in the Vet industry and they can't keep a full staff, these Dr.'s are bouncing from hospital to hospital and a lot are unwilling to sign employment contracts. The pet industry exploded during the lockdown, "Oh my God! What's wrong with fluffy."...nothing you idiot, fluffy has been doing that same behavior for years while you were at work.

It's an employees market for sure. All of the contractors here have more work than they can handle, with not enough employees to do the work, plus there is a shift where the lower paying trades are being vacated for the higher paying trades, so either the landscapers are going to have to pay more, or you're going to have to mow your own damn lawn.

Nope. We have lost employees since we pay very low and they gave themselves raises by leaving us. When hiring new can’t say we are paying more, we are hiring better quality people that are naturally paid more.

general 3% raises last couple of years but getting hit up weekly for other better offers. I think the job market for professionals is as hot as it's been in years. It's a really good time to look at hopping to another company people are throwing out big dollars right now. My boss just gave his notice and got a 30% raise for his next job. Two of my peers left in the last 60 days for 15-25% raises. The money is out there but not at your current company

not sure what industry you are in but im curious on what is prompting this. is there anything special about their skillset?

in my head i keep seeing that movie with jim carey where he gets promoted to be the fall guy and then starts robbing banks

Same chit different year for me, wife got a bit of raise because she's in medical. Lots of shit is more expensive now, so probably went backwards in total.

I'm in manufacturing specifically food manufacturin
not sure what industry you are in but im curious on what is prompting this. is there anything special about their skillset?

in my head i keep seeing that movie with jim carey where he gets promoted to be the fall guy and then starts robbing banks
I'm in manufacturing, specifically food manufacturing and my specialties are operations and continuous improvement. I've been getting hit by people both in my industry (food) and people outside my industry (transportation, discrete manufacturing, ect)

My thinking is that many of these industries have actually under paid for several years and the talent pool isn't that deep. So the people who are willing to be mobile (less people are these days) and are interested in trying something different or adjacent to their current work are going to have a lot of opportunities.

My pay is zero thanks to the government controlavitus. They have decimated the petroleum industry in Wyoming and Colorado. For the first time in over 80 years there wasn't a single rig drilling in Wyoming.
Companies don't want to hire me and others in my situation because they think we'll just go back to the oilfield once it picks back up. They are probably right, and they won't compete on pay.

It's a very shitty situation solely caused by government and I'm irate about it.

Have I gotten more the last year or two? Yes.
Is it more of an increase than I was seeing in years past? No.

Nothing's changed in the professional/highly skilled world, everyone kept working and was business as usual mostly. The now hiring is really isolated to the low skill positions where the vast majority of that workforce got comfy sucking the governments teat.
Yup. Work didn't ever even blip except for the "administrative" staff and I haven't seen another dime. That said, we bill triple admin for my position and it's not like hospitals can just shut down construction cause some folks got the sniffles.

typical 3% yearly, thats it. Mechanical Engineering in the Aerospace Mfg Industry. Company is not doing anything significant to retain talent. Losing people left and right for more $$. If the wife didn't just start a new job this month I'd probably be looking, but don't want us both starting afresh at once. She got ~15% for an internal move

Employer added a new position this summer, I applied, interviewed, and was in the driver's seat when it came to negotiation. I tossed a number out that was $12k higher than average salary in my state for the position above it, giving myself about a 60% raise in the process. The Owner/President/COO said "Deal" and I start on the 30th (in the meantime, I am going to Sturgis and having eye surgery, so it was my choice to not start until then).

So, yeah... 60%. Had I done nothing and resumed working after my eye healed, they raised the pay by 10% for my old position during my leave of absence.

We got a one-time bonus and a little bit of paid OT, but that doesn't even come close to how much unpaid OT we (most of us, anyway) worked off the books to fill in the blanks left by all the policies and recommendations and such.

Top Back Refresh