What's new

have ya'll seen this craigs list bronco project?

Those Ford Bronco Centurion are pretty cool but definetely have some wierd stuff going on in back. A friend has one on bronco chassis and where they extended it the floor is flat steel. So he got another bronco or f150 bed floor and having a shop weld that in so it looks more factory.

Centurion never made them one way. Some where Stretched broncos, some where F350 crew cabs. Some where F150s.

If you look at some of the half tons, the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel well. That means they were built on a F150 extended cab chassis.

the pre 92 models, some would have a bronco logo on the dash. Stretched frame, floor and roof. Then some didn't.

C350s had the frame cut and welded. (shortened) and the rear bronco body mounts are roughly cut and welded on the frame. The rear of the frame was hacked off crudely with a torch and hidden by the bumper.

they kind of did whatever and as cheaply as they could.

Looks like a super clean builder body.

Centurion never made them one way. Some where Stretched broncos, some where F350 crew cabs. Some where F150s.

If you look at some of the half tons, the rear wheel is not centered in the wheel well. That means they were built on a F150 extended cab chassis.

the pre 92 models, some would have a bronco logo on the dash. Stretched frame, floor and roof. Then some didn't.

C350s had the frame cut and welded. (shortened) and the rear bronco body mounts are roughly cut and welded on the frame. The rear of the frame was hacked off crudely with a torch and hidden by the bumper.

they kind of did whatever and as cheaply as they could.

Looks like a super clean builder body.
Your mish mashing between centurion and metropolitan motors. The cheap weird 150 stuff was built by metropolitan not centurion.

Your mish mashing between centurion and metropolitan motors. The cheap weird 150 stuff was built by metropolitan not centurion.
I'm 95% sure I've seen 5 lug 4 door broncos with centurion badges/decals, 2 and 4WD variety. 92+ body style that I recall.

I'm 95% sure I've seen 5 lug 4 door broncos with centurion badges/decals, 2 and 4WD variety. 92+ body style that I recall.
You have. There are C-150 centurions. And they are far better built than the shitty Magnum assembled by Metropolitan motors.

Centurions even in 150 are a crew cab cab with the back cut off and a bronco back half sectioned on. Magnums are a bronco cut in half and the middle doors sectioned in (and poorly at that). So if you care and ever want to discern the difference.

If you are looking at a 150 4 door bronco look at the roof. If it’s got the ribs on the roof it was made by centurion. If the roof is smooth flat it was made by metropolitan. Metro’s have two roof seems. Centurions have one. Both did a terrible job at blending them together then painting over it. But without the ribs the metro roof comes apart worse and faster.

Edit to add. People change fender badges. But Centurion fender badges replaced the F with a C. If Metropolitan or a home builder built it they usually have either an original Bronco fender badge or will still say F-250 or F-350.

Last edited:
Metropolitan did some weird stuff, but I have worked on a few of both. Oh yes Centurion did their share of of stretched broncos and weird stuff.

Centurion did flat roofs too, vinyl roofs as well as metropolitan. For a while Centurion was having fiberglass rear bronco quarter panels made. You can find them randomly on the 86-88 models. Never understood why they never showed up in the aftermarket. Would think that would be a hit.
If you ever see a vinyl roof, run away. Or plan on making a convertible.

By the 92 model year they finally had some kind of consistency in production so you didn't see as many odd balls after that. But they also started building them at the second location which was in CA.

Metropolitan usually stuck with factory ford interior and standard bronco 3rd seat. Even factory ford rims. I can't remember but I don't think metropolitan made anything 92 or newer. Metropolitan did make a few 1 tons that had the ribbed roof instead of a stretched cab.
Centurion would use factory ford stuff usually only on models sold for fire and utilities.

You have. There are C-150 centurions. And they are far better built than the shitty Magnum assembled by Metropolitan motors.

Centurions even in 150 are a crew cab cab with the back cut off and a bronco back half sectioned on. Magnums are a bronco cut in half and the middle doors sectioned in (and poorly at that). So if you care and ever want to discern the difference.

If you are looking at a 150 4 door bronco look at the roof. If it’s got the ribs on the roof it was made by centurion. If the roof is smooth flat it was made by metropolitan. Metro’s have two roof seems. Centurions have one. Both did a terrible job at blending them together then painting over it. But without the ribs the metro roof comes apart worse and faster.

Edit to add. People change fender badges. But Centurion fender badges replaced the F with a C. If Metropolitan or a home builder built it they usually have either an original Bronco fender badge or will still say F-250 or F-350.
I saw an awful looking 80-86 four door SUV conversion in a junkyard once. it had a rear hatch that looked like a scaled up Bronco 2 hatch, and the rear of the body was not Bronco at all. Everything from the rear doors forward looked F-350. It was terrible. Can't remember the brand, could have been a Limousine or Ambulance company that built it, who knows.

I also recall seeing a 92-97 F-150 Crew Cab Short Bed, (probably 96/97 when the F-250 CCSB was a thing) that I think was a Centurion also, had the wood add-on bits inside and the big vinyl stripes on the outside.

In unrelated news, I always thought this rig was cool:

img_0216.jpg

I saw an awful looking 80-86 four door SUV conversion in a junkyard once. it had a rear hatch that looked like a scaled up Bronco 2 hatch, and the rear of the body was not Bronco at all. Everything from the rear doors forward looked F-350. It was terrible. Can't remember the brand, could have been a Limousine or Ambulance company that built it, who knows.

I also recall seeing a 92-97 F-150 Crew Cab Short Bed, (probably 96/97 when the F-250 CCSB was a thing) that I think was a Centurion also, had the wood add-on bits inside and the big vinyl stripes on the outside.
That was the 1000 series. Yeah we called them moon buggies. Centurion was still figuring out what to do there. Ugly, but interesting.

Metropolitan did some weird stuff, but I have worked on a few of both. Oh yes Centurion did their share of of stretched broncos and weird stuff.

Centurion did flat roofs too, vinyl roofs as well as metropolitan. For a while Centurion was having fiberglass rear bronco quarter panels made. You can find them randomly on the 86-88 models.
I don’t count the 86 87’s. They both kinda standardized from 88 ish up. I’ve never seen a flat top C-350. I’ve seen an 88 ribbed top C-150 though.

landen300, I know of two 92~96 crew cab short bed F-150 pickups that are centurion interior conversions. Both in Colorado. I see one almost every day. Never seen a crew cab 150 that vintage that wasn’t a centurion conversion. Always ASSumed that Ford only built them to be C-150 4DB’s but then didn’t get them built into 4DB’s so just sold the pickups with the crappy wood interior upgrade.

Last edited:
This it's funny to hear people think either company did a good job on them, they were known to have really bad body work with tons of filler that normally fell or rusted off.

Reactions: DMG
This it's funny to hear people think either company did a good job on them, they were known to have really bad body work with tons of filler that normally fell or rusted off.
Mine was garage kept from 93 ish to 2010 and when I got it the roof was flawless, had never been redone either. I let it sit outside in the sun and the filler is cracked and missing chunks now.

My interior was also flawless. Sitting in the sun the seats came unstitched. The wood is looking terrible and falling off/apart. Clear coat coming off the paint. These things were put together with the care of Michael Jacksons face surgeon.

I've always thought a burb with a blazer removable top section grafted on would be cool.
I'll never understand why that wasn't a thing from the factory. Just about everything was tooled up right? would have been awesome.

I'll never understand why that wasn't a thing from the factory. Just about everything was tooled up right? would have been awesome.

I always thought that also. :confused:

On the other hand, I don't think anyone really ever took the tops off them much and I think the suburban was more of a highway cruiser with 4x4 than an beach, river off road rig like the blazer.

Mine was garage kept from 93 ish to 2010 and when I got it the roof was flawless, had never been redone either. I let it sit outside in the sun and the filler is cracked and missing chunks now.

My interior was also flawless. Sitting in the sun the seats came unstitched. The wood is looking terrible and falling off/apart. Clear coat coming off the paint. These things were put together with the care of Michael Jacksons face surgeon.
Yep, Been there. How thick was the bondo on the roof? I have seen it up to 3/4" thick. The sun destroys them in a hurry. I wonder if it is just the expansion rate is so different between the metal and filler or if it is just too thick. But I have seen some awful thick bondo never crack.

Always wondered if old school leading would be a good fix because no filler will last un those conditions.

They put that super thick urethane epoxy stuff on the trim when they switched to using walnut from oak. You can buy it from places like menards now. But still a huge pain to repair.

For all their failures Centurion built a great foundation for an awesome truck. Beats the heck out of building one from scratch. The one in the Cl ad is probably one of the best you will ever find. It was originally a diesel too.

Yep, Been there. How thick was the bondo on the roof? I have seen it up to 3/4" thick. The sun destroys them in a hurry. I wonder if it is just the expansion rate is so different between the metal and filler or if it is just too thick. But I have seen some awful thick bondo never crack.

Always wondered if old school leading would be a good fix because no filler will last un those conditions.

They put that super thick urethane epoxy stuff on the trim when they switched to using walnut from oak. You can buy it from places like menards now. But still a huge pain to repair.

For all their failures Centurion built a great foundation for an awesome truck. Beats the heck out of building one from scratch. The one in the Cl ad is probably one of the best you will ever find. It was originally a diesel too.
Mine only appears to be about 3/8” thick at the thickest spot. However I have taken mine 4 wheeling a lot. Articulating it started to make the roof pop and I actually heard/saw the biggest piece get broke out. Twisted up in Moab and I hear it pop and the triangle chunk of filler landed on the hood.

Unpopular opinion in the Ford forum but I’d rather have the 460 than a PSD. Except that I would rather have a Cummins than either and Cummins swapping is easier in a truck that started out as a diesel.

Interesting, I wonder if the badges are wrong. They say C150. AND it looks like it has a flat roof. But the roof also looks like rhino liner or something.

So is it a half ton someone converted to dually?

Or a 1 ton that someone put 1/2 ton badges on?

So that is a 92-93 with a 1 ton rear bumper. C350 badges are almost impossible to find. So It would be rebadged.

Actually, look at the front spring shackle, that is superduty stuff. Wonder if someone did a frame swap. Or reverse shackle of some kind.
Exhaust looks kind of big for a gasser.
That is a super duty hitch in the back. Kinda looks like rear disc brakes too. Are super duty shocks behind the axle on the rear?

All that work and those mirrors? LOL

Sharp truck, Love to have it.

This one was posted in GCC’s Craigslist thread. I think it was a Metropolitan conversion because of the badges. Must have sold because the posting was deleted by its owner
44B2346E-87FE-4C95-95BC-E0E1E50BD73C.png

This was what mine looked like in May of 2010 when I became the second owner. It had 52,xxx miles on it and was super clean. I’ll post pictures of its current condition 11 years later and you might want to murder me. I used it though, enjoyed the shit out of it.

E30E4E06-C6E0-4E50-8CDA-2C453F097889.jpeg
3D1871B9-795B-4F13-9F09-388DB50240DB.jpeg
6ED09168-E2AF-4DD7-93F0-3999A4485344.jpeg
CFB9CDD5-44CF-4F1F-83E1-874F9C286EFD.jpeg
4BD16EFF-28F3-486A-B8D1-8ACC1258ED1E.jpeg
209F3D61-7B03-4C70-81C3-A1733158A280.jpeg
AFAD84A1-789C-4410-8C48-E3EAF54A2EF5.jpeg
C00DA31B-0BA1-4A14-85F1-36C50A2F34BD.jpeg
5DF3D7E0-4C85-4DBA-BF5C-390E4B4ABBE3.jpeg
1DC6478E-8330-499B-A9D4-A14D192C2E12.jpeg

That blue one, I would bet a metro as well. tough to tell from that pic but who would strip centurion badges?

So yours is a '93? you have the wide running boards.

Drive it and enjoy it. Who cares if it gets used up.

That blue one, I would bet a metro as well. tough to tell from that pic but who would strip centurion badges?

So yours is a '93? you have the wide running boards.

Drive it and enjoy it. Who cares if it gets used up.
The conversion makes it a weird thing. Every part of the truck has a date of mfg of 1992 on it. The VIN and title say 1993, a vin check says it’s a 93 cab n chassis. It came from the Indiana Centurion factory.

I took the running boards off and sold them for $500 bucks. I didn’t like the look and I figured I’d ruin them anyway. So might as well get the cash for them while they were perfect and shiny. Can’t stress enough how flawless that thing was. Even the fasteners for the running boards looked new. I could sold ten pairs. Put em up for sale on FDB.com and I got messages for years after they sold wanting the personal contact info for the dude I sold them too. Hoping they could talk him into selling the pair to them for more than I sold them for.

Oh, and mine is one the ones that the rear axle is two inches offset to the rear of the wheel wells. It’s 142” wheel base and 140 looks like it would have been correct.

It's pretty much the perfect vehicle.... I wish Ford would have made them.
Yours having the third brake light in the roof points toward 93 as well, since i believe that is when they were mandated.
That thing did look amazing when you got it, and I'm sure it's still sweet.

Top Back Refresh