What's new

Has anyone here put the Explorer 5.0l into their older pickup?

Covecrawler

Member Number
I have a 1989 f250, 5.0l with low compression in one cylinder.

I already own a 1999 Explorer parts vehicle with 5.0l.

I am interested in swapping the engine, accessories, wiring and computer from the 1999 into the 1989. I understand just swapping the block and heads from the Explorer over would be similar to swapping the E7 heads for GT40p heads as far as fitment. I’m more interested in swapping everything over.

What does IBB think?

The wiring will be a fuck show, unless you're ready and willing to get stand alone harnesses to run the explorer distributorless ignition and trans, or be prepared to do a full wiring harness rework and rewire to combine the f series and the explorer harnesses. Biggest issue is the truck is obd1 and the explorer is obd2 so youd need a pile of the explorer shit to wire it up. My advise use the f series harness and ecm, run the complete explorer engine and put the older sensors and ignition components on it to make it run.

I would retain the C6. Thank you for the insight. I was hoping the Explorer electronics would be a good upgrade. May be more work than it’s worth though.

The wiring will be a fuck show, unless you're ready and willing to get stand alone harnesses to run the explorer distributorless ignition and trans, or be prepared to do a full wiring harness rework and rewire to combine the f series and the explorer harnesses. Biggest issue is the truck is obd1 and the explorer is obd2 so youd need a pile of the explorer shit to wire it up. My advise use the f series harness and ecm, run the complete explorer engine and put the older sensors and ignition components on it to make it run.

I would retain the C6. Thank you for the insight. I was hoping the Explorer electronics would be a good upgrade. May be more work than it’s worth though.

Not true at all. The Explorer stuff is easy to wire up and the coil on plug is a way better system than the TFI distributor setup. There is tons of information on ClassicBroncos.com since it is a very popular swap into early Broncos, and even step-by-step videos on Youtube of what has to be done to the Explorer harness. Also, I would consider using the 4R70W that comes with the Explorer 5.0L because it has much better ratios than a C6 and the Explorer ECM controls the tranny as well.

I posted some information on in in this thread: Explorer 5.0 engine swap

Kingfish on FSB has a brick nose f250 that he did a full explorer drivetrain and wiring swap.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I guess I'm more so trying to let him know unless he has a complete donor to rob parts from or a very good yard source its going to be difficult. What are your goals with the truck? If it is as simple and making it run id just retain the c6 and the 1989 efi. Once again I'm not trying to tell you how to build your rig just trying to give you my perspective.

Got it.

I have the complete vehicle. My concern with the 4r70w is that it has 261k miles.

I see someone is selling pats deleted ECUs on eBay for $159.00. That seems reasonable. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks for all the replies!

Got it.

I have the complete vehicle. My concern with the 4r70w is that it has 261k miles.

I see someone is selling pats deleted ECUs on eBay for $159.00. That seems reasonable. Is there a better alternative?

Thanks for all the replies!
rebuild the 4R?

I would think a local rebuild shop could do that fairly reasonably. What's the intended use? Trail vehicle? Just run it. DD? rebuild it.

I kinda hate the EDIS and would much rather have the TFI
EDIS cranks too long before it starts with the sparking

99 should have PATS which makes it more involved than just paring down the explorer harness and sticking it in there

the P heads work fine with the truck manifolds, I used 90 deg plug boots to keep the wires further from the manifolds
ETA: oh and the truck camshaft might be a lot better than the explorer one

I kinda hate the EDIS and would much rather have the TFI
EDIS cranks too long before it starts with the sparking

99 should have PATS which makes it more involved than just paring down the explorer harness and sticking it in there
Is removing the PATS as simple as buying the $159 eBay ecu? Or is there more too it?
the P heads work fine with the truck manifolds, I used 90 deg plug boots to keep the wires further from the manifolds
ETA: oh and the truck camshaft might be a lot better than the explorer one

I was definitely wondering about the manifolds, so thanks!

What is the proper solution for VSS?
My truck has a cable driven speedo, I understand the Explorer uses the ABS module to provide a VSS signal.

Golly, forgot about google. I did it, found Garret Tuning for $125. Sorry to clog up your forum with dumb questions.

FWIW, an efi 5.8, stripped with a 2bbl and hei, c6, was my plan for my 79 build, but I'm really leaning towards explorer 5.0 4r70w swap, using the classic Broncos threads

I was also somewhat concerned about the potential expense of a burnt up 4r70w, a quick car-part.com search showed I can buy them for $300 pretty regularly, so I wouldn't be concerned too muck about that

Wow, never knew a 5.0 came with cop, or no disty. For real?!

Wow, never knew a 5.0 came with cop, or no disty. For real?!
Coil packs in the front
The windsor platform ran from 1960 to 2001 and got dumped for more cams and chains. Then Chevy looked at it, and copied everything good about it, and the ford mod motor with its aluminum heads, plastic intake and coil on plug, and called it the "LS" :laughing:

41 years to the small block ford, gotta tip your hat to that:usa:

Coil packs in the front
The windsor platform ran from 1960 to 2001 and got dumped for more cams and chains. Then Chevy looked at it, and copied everything good about it, and the ford mod motor with its aluminum heads, plastic intake and coil on plug, and called it the "LS" :laughing:

41 years to the small block ford, gotta tip your hat to that:usa:
You verifying they got cop at the end?

wow i got schooled today ! Pretty sure those coil packs are junk though. I have a 5.0 for my next buggy and hate the disty after it got loose and started popping rotors, on the trail like 20 miles from the trailer.

wow i got schooled today ! Pretty sure those coil packs are junk though. I have a 5.0 for my next buggy and hate the disty after it got loose and started popping rotors, on the trail like 20 miles from the trailer.
The explorer 5.0 got edis. There is still a drive in the hole but now it's just a cam sync and oil pump drive. it did not ever get cop.

The edis system is actually pretty good. The coils fire pretty hot. The main concern is that it is wasted spark. Some people don't like that. The whole system is pretty damn reliable. The explorer has the coil drivers in the ECU instead of the older edis 4.6 stuff that has an edis module. But it's swappable.

I'm currently putting one in my 2000 ranger, but it's 2wd and going to be turbo. I'm setting it up with twin microsquirts. One for the EFI, one for the 4r70w.

The explorer 5.0 got edis. There is still a drive in the hole but now it's just a cam sync and oil pump drive. it did not ever get cop.

The edis system is actually pretty good. The coils fire pretty hot. The main concern is that it is wasted spark. Some people don't like that. The whole system is pretty damn reliable. The explorer has the coil drivers in the ECU instead of the older edis 4.6 stuff that has an edis module. But it's swappable.

I'm currently putting one in my 2000 ranger, but it's 2wd and going to be turbo. I'm setting it up with twin microsquirts. One for the EFI, one for the 4r70w.

Sure, technically speaking the Explorer 5.0L is not coil on plug since there is a wire between the coil and the plug, but is basically the same thing as an LS except the coils are mounted where the distributor was instead of on the valve covers.

Here is my Explorer 5.0L when I pulled it
D09EBFC2-6283-4133-970A-8075431E2EE0.jpeg

waste spark isn't a problem
total lack of spark-cut limiting really sucks when using the separate edis box
two crank revolutions before spark starts means push starting is a tow strap away instead of a couple dudes away

waste spark isn't a problem
total lack of spark-cut limiting really sucks when using the separate edis box
two crank revolutions before spark starts means push starting is a tow strap away instead of a couple dudes away

Tfi has the same problem. No spark cut. But at least the edis has proven to be reliable, if spark cut isn't needed for your builds.

This is why I dumped the Ford PCM and am going micro/megasquirt. Mo options. Initially I will be using the edis box with my micro, but after I get that figured if I'm still sane it'll get a mega of some flavor. I also have a stinger pimpxshift going in my f250 once I muster up some balls to just do it. its ms3x based.

Initially I will be using the edis box with my micro
NO NO NO NO
just go with GM gen 3/4 coil packs
you want spark cut limiting, because you will eventually end up with a turbo on there

my plugs are always silver colored from the fuel-cut limiter

Top Back Refresh