What's new

Harry's KoH pics

Sandy Johnson

Harry Member
Member Number
Loc
Spreckels, Ca
I'll try to add some of my pics from the week.

PXL_20220201_210918784.jpg

PXL_20220202_030716284.jpg

Fire truck used as a chase vehicle got a little lost in the sand on the way back from pit 2. Still had 500 gal of water or whatever it is they hold in it.

PXL_20220204_220628961.jpg

PXL_20220205_002017901.jpg

This dude hit the hardest I've ever seen a racecar hit on a roll. He tried to take the high Shannon line, but didn't commit enough throttle, then lifted mid-way and basically fell off that ledge and landed straight to cage. It hit so hard that it wedged the roof bars into a little rock there making it hard to pivot the car to get it back over. I think it took us about 2 and a half hours to get this guy out of the way while still getting race leaders on their third lap around him.
PXL_20220205_214729062.jpg

When Mr. Gigglepin Himself decided he was done with KOH recovery, he passed on the torch to us in the form of this strap. It's still alive despite many racer's best attempts to kill it:
PXL_20220205_004735670.jpg

PXL_20220205_002840714.jpg

Remote Pit 2
PXL_20220205_002311586.jpg

Last call for the bottom of Wrecking Ball
PXL_20220206_060937199.jpg

PXL_20220204_220628961.jpg

PXL_20220205_002017901.jpg

This dude hit the hardest I've ever seen a racecar hit on a roll. He tried to take the high Shannon line, but didn't commit enough throttle, then lifted mid-way and basically fell off that ledge and landed straight to cage. It hit so hard that it wedged the roof bars into a little rock there making it hard to pivot the car to get it back over. I think it took us about 2 and a half hours to get this guy out of the way while still getting race leaders on their third lap around him.
PXL_20220205_214729062.jpg
^ Perfect example of Zandy being Zandy. He's spent too much time with #ChipHappens (Rufus Racing) so finds himself in these crazy recovery situations.

^ Perfect example of Zandy being Zandy. He's spent too much time with #ChipHappens (Rufus Racing) so finds himself in these crazy recovery situations.
I was the first guy to get to their car. They were looking a little shook up and it probably didn't help that the first thing out of my mouth was "Hey, you can't park here."

Normally we have plan to get cars out of there that end up like that, but our go-to rock we've snatched off of for the last several years got loose this year and would have come down on the car.

You must have been right there with my buddies JimmyJet and Paul. That thing looked like it could loop out on back door and land right back on its wheels.
Holy crap, I was camped out right next to Jimmy and Tyler. I might have been out but I had the black jk with the irate4x4.com flag. Elvis was camped with us as well

I was the first guy to get to their car. They were looking a little shook up and it probably didn't help that the first thing out of my mouth was "Hey, you can't park here."

Normally we have plan to get cars out of there that end up like that, but our go-to rock we've snatched off of for the last several years got loose this year and would have come down on the car.
Awesome first words! Zandy is an awesome guy with great personality but sometimes runs out of the ole driving talent.

Awesome first words! Zandy is an awesome guy with great personality but sometimes runs out of the ole driving talent.
That high line was suckering a lot of drivers in. He just kept going a little farther than most before he realized he was in deep. Shannon and one other car I didn't recognize were the only ones to successfully hit it all day.

Holy crap, I was camped out right next to Jimmy and Tyler. I might have been out but I had the black jk with the irate4x4.com flag. Elvis was camped with us as well
I bet I just missed you. I wandered over from the winch mob camp to say hi one morning, but I had to get back to prerun spooners and they didn't have time to go with us. We were pretty much right on the other side of the Ultra3 camp (we usually end up pretty to close to them each year)

Spooners pre-run
PXL_20220201_221417158.jpg

You know someone's having a bad day when their codriver's helmet is off. You know they're having a real bad day when half the codriver's suit is off.
PXL_20220203_222959746.jpg

Saw this on the way out. Pretty rad:
PXL_20220206_205217656.jpg

Finally got this potato pic sent to me from a friend.
2022-03-04 12_50_25-Travis Lee on Instagram_ “That time @weener_face got pulled over for getti...png

Story time.
UTV race morning, on my way to our designated recovery spot. I'm following two others in our group when a group of LEOs cut in front of me while we're driving past hammer town. We're slightly late, and I didn't actually leave any room for a vehicle to duck in, let alone 3 or 4... but I stay calm and wait until we make a left turn to head out to the desert. All three or four LEO vehicles turn that way too and proceed to creep over 2" sized bumps in the road at 5 mph. I do my best to go around them threading the needle between them and oncoming traffic without any wheel spin or v8 noises or anything. I painfully pass them at about 10 mph, finally, get into some clean air, and get up to a relaxed cruising speed keeping dust down past campsites. I see the lead LEO behind me and to my right pacing me. Right when I notice this, he swings in behind me and lights me up.

No idea what I did, but I stop, half expecting him to blow past me to pull someone else over. Nope, he pulls in behind, walks up to me, and asks if I know why he pulled me over.
"Honestly, I have no idea"
"Where's your license plate?" It was then I remembered I had my trasharoo on hanging over the spare tire where my plate was.
"Oh, shoot, it's behind my trash bag on the spare tire," the officer leaves to try and figure out how to take it off, good luck with that"...I'm getting out to take it off for you"
He waits while I pull it off and show him my plate and up-to-date tags.
"You can't have that on the back"
"Ok, I'm really sorry. I'm working the race today, and I need to get out to my spot before the racers get there can I..." He cuts me off
"Let me see your license"
"Ok, here. Look, I have to get out there before..."
"Mmmhmm, you passed me really close. There's all this desert you could have moved over more" At this point I started to lose my patience
"There was not all this desert, I had to squeeze between you and oncoming..."
"And you threw mud on my windshield." I finally lost my shit
"IT'S AN OFF-ROAD EVENT! YOU'RE GOING TO GET MUD AND DIRT AND DUST ALL OVER YOUR VEHICLE, THAT'S HOW IT..."
At that point, my passenger hollered at me from the jeep to shut up, so I do.
"If you had broken my windshield you would be paying for it."
"Ok, sure sure, sorry." He takes my license and heads back to his car to run my info. :shaking:

While I'm waiting another BLM officer pulls up. He looks like he's been here longer- the vehicle is dirty, he gets out in a dusty/dirty jumpsuit and walks up to me.
"Are you working the race?"
"Yes, and I really need to get on course"
"Is the license plate the only thing he got you for?"
"Yes... well, that and he said I got mud on his windshield."
"...Oh. Ok, I'll talk to him." He walks away.

Mr muddy windshield finally comes back, and tells me he's going to let me go with a warning. I do the whole yes sir thank you sir thing. Then he really really needed to impress upon me one more time how bad it was that I got mud on his windshield and remind me that he would have made me pay for that if I had broken it. I swallow my pride and apologize for that nonsense too. About this time the rest of my group has come back to get me(my passenger had radioed that we got pulled over). I turn and walk back to the jeep just in time to see them grinning like idiots with a cell phone out taking pictures. Watch out for new guy cops on the lakebed folks!

Watch out for new guy cops on the lakebed folks!

I had a similar experience with some BLM cops out there too :shaking:

I understand they probably have to deal with a lot of shit heads out there, but they really seem to enjoy swinging their dicks around and being complete assholes.

On my way out to Hump n Bump in Logandale I see this white Chev PU high centered and what looks like someone in a uniform inspecting the result of their awesome driving. I pull off the road, find a gap in the fence and it's some BLM Dyke. I offer to pull her off the high center and then do just that.

Later at Hump n Bump she was a real **** to the attendees, and I told her next time I'd leave her to wallow in her own stupidity, turned around and walked off to the sound of her bitching at me. Fuck 'em.

Top Back Refresh