What's new

Hardware (Nuts / Bolts) Organization in Home Shop

DMANbluesfreak

Trailers are for Boats
Member Number
Loc
Park Ridge, IL
Pretty straightforward title. I'm looking to see some examples and suggestions about how to better organize nuts, bolts, and other small (ish) hardware in my garage. We use bin boxes at work and they're stocked regularly by Fastenal or McMaster (can't remember which), so I'm trying to follow that ideology - but it takes a TON of space and obviously is quite expensive. Still, I started collecting the cheap bin boxes at Menards when they had a super sale, but I'm already worried I may not have enough for all the hardware sizes I have.

I'm getting tired of digging through a giant box of hardware when I need something :shaking:

Been using milwakee packout boxes.... Not cheap tho if you have a ton of sizes.

I use the hf portable parts storage cases. They are cheap and work well for what they are. I got them when they were on sale for 5 bucks a piece, not sure what they are now. They work well but with heavier bolts/larger quantities of stuff if you don't keep them flat you will get some migration as the lid flexes.

I grab organization boxes from HF when they go on sale. Like this:

These are not hardy enough to travel and get pretty brittle when cold, but I have had good luck with them. I keep them in cabinets, mark them with silver sharpie, they dont move much and fill my needs for not much cost. I you plan to chuck em in the truck from time to time, dont go this direction.

I have some of the menards bins, but they suck up alot of room without storing all that much. Odd ball heavier items go into a collection of small cardboard boxes I have collected over time.

Interesting! I use the Milwaukee packout boxes for storing tools (with the bins removed) in my rig since they're pretty water tight. I never thought to use those or the HF versions for hardware storage. That'd be nice to have one box per fastener size. I do not plan to ever take them with me unless I move, so it really doesn't need to be portable. Good ideas!

regular bolts go in this 40 hole 9" deep bolt bin.
I don't sort by individual length just under/over 2"
I sort vertically for a bolt size. TOP > Nuts, washers, special hardware (lock washers, eye bolts etc.), bolts under 2", bolts over 2"

s-l500.jpg

All the special hardware, stainless screws, wood screws etc go in the HF boxs and into a rolling vertical shelf, with wiring terminals, riv-nuts, etc.

Last edited:
I grab organization boxes from HF when they go on sale. Like this:

These are not hardy enough to travel and get pretty brittle when cold, but I have had good luck with them. I keep them in cabinets, mark them with silver sharpie, they dont move much and fill my needs for not much cost. I you plan to chuck em in the truck from time to time, dont go this direction.

I have some of the menards bins, but they suck up alot of room without storing all that much. Odd ball heavier items go into a collection of small cardboard boxes I have collected over time.

I did something similar to this video....

I just scoured CL for a year or so and got myself a bunch of little card catalog and nut and bolt drawers. Obviously if you gotta have shit right now what won't work.

When my local spot for bulk bolts shutdown I figured I needed to start keeping a stock in the garage. I found some bolt assortments that came in metal trays and they also have a cabinet that will hold 4 of the trays. US, Large metal trays, Bolt Assortments, Zinc plated grade 5 steel, Hex bolts (coarse thread) w/ nuts 1/4" - 1/2" - Bolt Depot

LM20C-Large.jpg

LM4TraySlideRack-large.jpg

Definitely not the cheapest option but it's working pretty good. Problem is finding a shelf heavy duty enough to hold the damn thing. I see this as in between the ol bolt bin that you have to turn upside down to find what you need and the big professional setups.

I built 1 foot deep shelves (2x4s and plywood) on the chunk of sidewall by one of the posts of my 2 post lift. Then it filled tight with containers; a mix of plastic, metal bins, sturdy 12pack beer boxes etc. If I was home i'd post a pic. :homer:

I have a bolt bin that I keep SAE sizes in. I stock if with bolts from rural king, since they are the closest. I have thought about getting a second for metric stuff I commonly use.

I got sick of old containers and drawers full of bolts.

In case any of y'all weren't aware, the Dewalt 10 bin organizers (similar to the HF large ones) are on sale for $10 currently (just as they were last year before and up through Black Friday). Nabbed ~15 last year...tempted to get more. I'm actually working on CAD'ing up a storage cart that will house quite a few small parts organizers, plastic bins, etc.

I bought a few of these from Harbor freight. Each "drawer" is dedicated to one thing. They are great for small hardware. I think the best use so far is for Cotter Pins, Roll Pins, copper sealing washers ect. I just grab the entire drawer and bring it with me,

68238_I.jpg

Filing cabinets are a pretty natural fit for all sorts of misc hardware that comes in these sorts of containers. I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight.

s-l1600.jpg

Filing cabinets are a pretty natural fit for all sorts of misc hardware that comes in these sorts of containers. I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight.
I have a bunch of those stacked in some cabinets in my garage, but they are all different sized containers which I find annoying so I condensed them into the above HF "toolboxes", plus easier to grab the whole box sometimes depending what Im working on.

In case any of y'all weren't aware, the Dewalt 10 bin organizers (similar to the HF large ones) are on sale for $10 currently (just as they were last year before and up through Black Friday). Nabbed ~15 last year...tempted to get more. I'm actually working on CAD'ing up a storage cart that will house quite a few small parts organizers, plastic bins, etc.

Dang, good find! I bet they're better quality than HF and a couple bucks cheaper. I was planning on spending time this weekend sorting out all my shit, so hopefully they're still on sale and I can determine how many I actually need and pull the trigger.

I lost about half of my stash due to rust so I'm somewhat slim on hardware for now. It's all divided into plastic 1/2 gallon protein powder containers or smaller supplement powder containers, and I stuff those into milk crates. Label the tops of the lids with a sharpie. But I don't keep any "stock" on hand per se, it's all leftover/extra hardware so it doesn't need to be organized by size or anything. If I'm planning a project I'll run by the hardware store for whatever I think I need, plus a few extra.

I use a couple of the 72 hole bins from Fastenal and 3 of those racks from Durham Manufacturing. Most of the various bin layouts are cheaper buying the Durham branded ones through Zoro than anywhere else I've found. Then just let your OCD fly with a laser printer and some labels :flipoff2:

2015-01-01 23.48.33.jpg

20200916_093333.jpg

I use a couple of the 72 hole bins from Fastenal and 3 of those racks from Durham Manufacturing. Most of the various bin layouts are cheaper buying the Durham branded ones through Zoro than anywhere else I've found. Then just let your OCD fly with a laser printer and some labels :flipoff2:

2015-01-01 23.48.33.jpg

20200916_093333.jpg
This!!!

I love those pull out drawers. This is my messy setup.

F9C35BF7-D3A2-4EED-A934-49F81874888B.jpeg
BBA63757-564C-4E0C-B44D-3E0015302820.jpeg

s-l500-jpg.jpg

I have a few of these style also

I got one thinking it would whip my shop into shape, now I have two more for a total of three and realize that I will probably need even more again :laughing:

So nice to just grab what you need and be done :beer:

I lost about half of my stash due to rust so I'm somewhat slim on hardware for now. It's all divided into plastic 1/2 gallon protein powder containers or smaller supplement powder containers, and I stuff those into milk crates. Label the tops of the lids with a sharpie. But I don't keep any "stock" on hand per se, it's all leftover/extra hardware so it doesn't need to be organized by size or anything. If I'm planning a project I'll run by the hardware store for whatever I think I need, plus a few extra.

I don't really 'stock' hardware myself either. It's all leftover and same story as you - when I buy new hardware, I typically buy an extra bag so I have sizes I'll need on-hand. But that still ended up with me having a full 5 gallon bucket of hardware to sort through when I need something. It'll be a bitch to sort, but worth it in the long run.

2015-01-01 23.48.33.jpg

20200916_093333.jpg
This is my dream. I'll probably start with the Fastenal bin and go from there - I can probably find something used to start with.

I can probably find something used to start with.

Well, coincidentally, I have a fastenal 72 hole bin bolt on top of a Curtis 40 hole bin I"m looking to get rid of....

Brace yourself, because although I'd let it go for 0 dollars, nothing is free...

It was in my old shop when I had a fire. It's smoke damaged and needs cleaned and probably painted. You can see where the individual washers were laying during the fire. In case you don't have experience with smoke damage, it means a layer of black creosote on everything that didn't burn. Stuff I've kept needed full strength SuperClean to dissolve it off and make it presentable again.

If it's worth the drive/effort to you, it's yours.

20211027_161518.jpg

I don't really 'stock' hardware myself either. It's all leftover and same story as you - when I buy new hardware, I typically buy an extra bag so I have sizes I'll need on-hand. But that still ended up with me having a full 5 gallon bucket of hardware to sort through when I need something. It'll be a bitch to sort, but worth it in the long run.

This is my dream. I'll probably start with the Fastenal bin and go from there - I can probably find something used to start with.
I did the 5 gallon bucket thing for years and had enough trying to find multiples of the same size bolts. I’d dump the bucket on the floor and sort through it and use a shovel to load the bucket back up. I still have hardware in 5 gallon buckets but it’s used hardware and sorted out to diameters in each bucket. One has all size nuts and one has all flat washers and two are metric stuff.

I have a bunch of different organizers for my new hardware. I have two large hydraulic fitting drawer organizers a bunch of the small carry things and the pocket hole units as well as old school file card filing cabinets. I find those on market place or Craigslist and on average pay $50 to $100 for them.

Too much stuff

Well, coincidentally, I have a fastenal 72 hole bin bolt on top of a Curtis 40 hole bin I"m looking to get rid of....

Brace yourself, because although I'd let it go for 0 dollars, nothing is free...

It was in my old shop when I had a fire. It's smoke damaged and needs cleaned and probably painted. You can see where the individual washers were laying during the fire. In case you don't have experience with smoke damage, it means a layer of black creosote on everything that didn't burn. Stuff I've kept needed full strength SuperClean to dissolve it off and make it presentable again.

If it's worth the drive/effort to you, it's yours.
It's not worth the drive and effort, but I appreciate the offer! Sorry to hear about the fire.
I did the 5 gallon bucket thing for years and had enough trying to find multiples of the same size bolts. I’d dump the bucket on the floor and sort through it and use a shovel to load the bucket back up. I still have hardware in 5 gallon buckets but it’s used hardware and sorted out to diameters in each bucket. One has all size nuts and one has all flat washers and two are metric stuff.

I have a bunch of different organizers for my new hardware. I have two large hydraulic fitting drawer organizers a bunch of the small carry things and the pocket hole units as well as old school file card filing cabinets. I find those on market place or Craigslist and on average pay $50 to $100 for them.

Too much stuff
Honestly, the shovel idea is already an improvement over me scooping them up by hand. :smokin:

It's not worth the drive and effort, but I appreciate the offer! Sorry to hear about the fire.

Honestly, the shovel idea is already an improvement over me scooping them up by hand. :smokin:

I dump mine into an old cooktop skillet, then try to pour it all back in the container and spill it all over the place so I need to use a dustpan or shovel anyway.

I spent some time last year going through all my misc hardware. tossed all the crap in recycling, organized a good chunk of it into the HF storage boxes. I don't love them, they're a little flimsy, but they work. Kind of wish I waited for a deal on the Craftsman/Dewalt/whatever other brand

So my smaller hardware is sorted into those now. Other hardware is mostly in various plastic food jars based on size. 2lb M&M jars, 1lb peanut jars, peanut butter jars, etc. In many ways they're better than the storage cases, but take up too much room for the stuff that's physically smaller.

I've got to throw out another load of junk, but i'll need it for a project right after I do:homer:

Purchase a used vidmar cabinet on craigslist or auction. Very high density for storage.
599106e6-430d-41ec-84e4-d363e367da31.jpg

So far I have 5 units with 3 packed full and I just need to setup up the remaining two. I have each drawer setup for a different item. A standard bolt drawer, standard nuts/washer drawer, etc. This things can hold some serious amount of weight per drawer.

Sample image for the web
08e873e05e4fbfd3b10347f9e586eaa2.jpg

Schaller bins for metric stuff, a large open face bolt bin for standard and house stuff.

Top Back Refresh