What's new

Hard to shift x3

Socsmm6

Member Number
My x3 is hard to shift from low to reverse or high to reverse. Its been doing this for a while but starting to get annoying. I blew the clutches out, checked the belt. The secondary isnt spinning at idle. It seems like the cable is sticking or something in the transmission is. Mine will shift from low straight to reverse. Been able to save a backwards roll a couple of times. To hard to shift to save it now. Any ideas on where to look?

I would lubricate all the connections. If that does not help, unhook cable at the tranny end and see if it moves easier. That will narrow down the location of the problem. Also, does your tranny need a fluid check/change?

I know it’s a dumb question. But you were in neutral when you checked to see if the secondary was spinning at idle, correct?

Tried forward, reverse, high, low and neutral.
Found a few things that are contributing to the problem. I unhooked the shift cable and found a hang spot in the shifter. Bolt on the shifter had loosened up and was allowing side to side movement of the shifter. Also the cable needed a bit of adjustment. Looked like it may have slipped some from the factory paint marks on it. Have not had a chance to drive it but just shifting low to reverse in the garage seems a good bit better. Just have to make sure it still engages the gears after cable adjustments

Top Back Refresh