What's new

Hanging plywood in garage what will work?

Guinness

Member Number
Loc
Fucking New York, shithole
I am going to hang 23/32 plywood on the inside of my garage and am curious how far I need to go.
studs are spaced 4’ and walls are 10’ high.

1: drill it right into studs hang anything off 2x4 nailed into plywood
2: use 1x4 furring strips nail plywood to that 2x4 over ply
3: use 2x4 furring strips nail plywood hang everything through plywood into 2x4
C7547548-793A-4A46-A79B-32AF9DAD74B3.jpeg
2ED0210D-2565-43F5-8BCF-3675279680DD.jpeg

Option 1.

Question, how much thermal bridging does that have? Do the exposed parts get hot? Warm to the touch? Am I over thinking it?

and why are we measuring plywood with calipers now?

1/32 sized undersized for 3/4” plywood for “tolerance.”

Don’t think I came up with that on my own.

Walked into Homo Depot one day and was like what the fuck just happened?

Don’t think I didn’t stand there for a half hour on my phone why this is a thing now.

And also… a # is a fucking pound sign, or a number sign. Kids need to make up new shit not rob from us old fuckers.

Not tolerance but $$$
Thiner sheets still @4x8= less material per "3\4" sheet" ...
Op perhaps block tween the studs with 2x4 so you don't loose sq '?
1x4 perlin style will work with screws.

Serious question . Why do you want plywood on the walls? You have spray foam insulation that’s really all I’d need to be happy.

Not tolerance but $$$
Thiner sheets still @4x8= less material per "3\4" sheet" ...
Op perhaps block tween the studs with 2x4 so you don't loose sq '?
1x4 perlin style will work with screws.
I don't know if this is what you meant or not, but shoving 2x wood through those "studs" horizontally would make a ton of shelving, and it wouldn't cost any space at all since it would be "in" the walls.

Did you win the lottery? How else could you afford to use that much plywood?:flipoff2:
This!

This looks to be an outbuilding? I have plywood walls in my circa 1961 garage snd at times the thought of a garage fire gives me pause.

Therefore on an attached garage I would recommend against this, but if it’s an outbuilding…$$$.

1/32 sized undersized for 3/4” plywood for “tolerance.”

Don’t think I came up with that on my own.

Walked into Homo Depot one day and was like what the fuck just happened?

Don’t think I didn’t stand there for a half hour on my phone why this is a thing now.

And also… a # is a fucking pound sign, or a number sign. Kids need to make up new shit not rob from us old fuckers.
#THECOSTOFPLYWOODISTOODAMNHIGH!!!

I want to block heat loss into the ceiling area during the cold months. It should save some money in the long run.
It appears you spray insulated the ceiling as well. Spray foam is an amazing thing you won’t be losing any heat through that ceiling .

Actually, think fire blocking...
1623943897538.png

However I like the shelving idea best.
Op wanting to seal in heat works well doing this a + is hanging light to medium stuff anywhere.
I don't know if this is what you meant or not, but shoving 2x wood through those "studs" horizontally would make a ton of shelving, and it wouldn't cost any space at all since it would be "in" the walls.

Last edited:
I have the ceiling and plywood and more than enough room for shelving if I want to do it I am specifically asking about hanging just the plywood, what would you all do?

Attachments

• AC5A2290-8B06-4FFA-98BC-D12047A23D94.jpeg
    AC5A2290-8B06-4FFA-98BC-D12047A23D94.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • D1583B5D-82CA-42AC-9FA5-0C94E7E9D1C3.jpeg
    D1583B5D-82CA-42AC-9FA5-0C94E7E9D1C3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • 357E3269-80D6-4833-BBEA-B518590E3270.jpeg
    357E3269-80D6-4833-BBEA-B518590E3270.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 4F3F05D5-CE76-4A35-AA04-A0A0C34CDB04.jpeg
    4F3F05D5-CE76-4A35-AA04-A0A0C34CDB04.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Are you also plywooding the ceiling and then putting the tin underneith, or are you just putting the tin up for a ceiling?

Are you going to insulated the ceiling?

Self tapping screws would be easy if the steel isn't too thick for them to go through.

I think this job is going to be a pain in the ass no matter how you do it. I would back up the seams with a strip of wood if you run them horizontal. You will also need a nailer by the ceiling. Boxing and trimming the windows will burn a lot of time as well. And any cost saving with this type of building will be spent on the interior.

The foam is typically flammable. Code generally requires it to be covered. Practically, I'd want it covered if I was grinding or welding.
Serious question - does Code actually apply to a tin shed with spray foam?

I would do plywood or steel liner panels between the uprights if I had to cover it. Stuff 2x6's or whatever on the upper rungs for shelving. Lose too much space walling all that off.

It would depend on your State and Local codes. I know some places are pretty limited. Where I am at, yes, you would still need to meet the basic codes for any building. Basically, if your building catches on fire, what else is it going to catch on fire? Your house? The grasslands/woods/whatever next to your shed? Your neighbor's property? Building Codes aren't just trying to protect you, but protect others from you. 😉

And, as I said, from a practical standpoint I'd want to cover it to lessen the risk of burning everything I had in the shed to the ground.

Top Back Refresh