What's new

Handgun Protection Ammo

Seubs070

Member Number
I'm planning on some spring dog training with my new pup. Basically hikes in the woods. Not hiking trails, but back country looking for birds to get her more wild bird exposure. Thinking I will want to carry my glock 19 with. Likely won't ever need it but would rather have it and not need it. Understand that 9mm isn't a great caliber for protection from predators, but I'm not in grizzly country and its what I have now.

What would the recommended ammo be for this use? Typical personal defense ammo or hard cast ammo like 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN Largest predator I would run into would be an angry mamma black bear or wolf.

Always had luck with Sigs Sayers elite performance and elite defense rounds.

I run hornady 135gr +p critcal duty in my carry gun. I would run the heaviest gr you can find in +p or +p+ if you can find it.

Or stop being a fag and buy a 45:flipoff2:

Speer is most likely the hands down
9 mickey mouse round:flipoff2:
Search for ccw, defense ammo in 9 Aaaaand
Speer

I'm not asking what CCW defense ammo to carry. More do I want CCW defense ammo or hard cast ammo if my main gole is stopping a predator (bear or wolf) and not a human. Most defense ammo is made to mushroom and not over penetrate. Will it make it deep enough into a bear to stop it, or do I want hard cast ammo?

I would go hardcast before a HP for what you are wanting.

On the flip side. I have ran into more sketchy situations involving people while back in the brush than I have with bears....

06 and silvertips then...
Or every other one hard cast and lehigh

Wasnt there a guy on here that wanted a quick draw holster for an AR pistol? Seems like that would be ideal:grinpimp:

I would go hardcast before a HP for what you are wanting.

On the flip side. I have ran into more sketchy situations involving people while back in the brush than I have with bears....
But if it'll kill a bear, dropping some asshat shouldn't be an issue either. :flipoff2:

Sorta off topic, but you guys remember the AK guide from the old place that told of a hunt he was on, and his client stumbled on a brown bear eating his kill, and the bear charged him all the while he dumped 6 .44's into it, and it took 4 more 7mm Mags from his son to bring it down.

Big bears are hard to kill in a short period of time, they're not bullet proof, but their heart rate is so slow and they have so much muscle that unless you get a brain shot or a spinal cord sever, they're going to keep coming. Black bears not so much, but Grizz...damn.

Top Back Refresh