What's new

Hand Planes for Woodworking

ndsgr

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I'm in the market for some hand planes. From what internet searching, forum reading and video watching I've done, I've arrived at some assumptions.

- I should be looking at around WW2 era planes, definitely not going newer than 1960ish. Older is fine, but tend to be collectable, so more money.

OR

- I would need to buy high end new brands, for around $300 and up per tool.

Am I correct or do I have other options? I don't mind spending money on good tools, but I figured I would start out with less of a mismatch between skill level and tool selection. If I'm on the right track, what should I be looking for in a used tool?

I do ebay, craigslist and FB market searches every couple of days for the first bullet - I think the best I'm going to get is around $65 (w/ shipping) for a no. 5.

I've looked at local estate sales for the elusive $20 box of old planes that just need a wire wheel and sharpening stone. This is DC, no one here has built anything of their own for generations. I have time to look; I'm moving next summer and don't have room for a shop until then.

As with any cutlery or tool steel and ANY TOOL THESE DAYS I WOULD SAY PRE 70-80'S will bring quality craftsmanship.
my 4-5 from a 3" to a 18" are my dads from the 60's no tellin how old they are.
the quality is in the craftsmanship not the age in my opinion,,,
If a jack plane is $300 today I would be interested in Antique pricing...
remaking handles aint that hard.

I had a few old Stanley block planes that were serviceable and decided to splurge on a new Lie Neilsen one. The Lie Neilsen one is just so much nicer. If you appreciate nice tools you will appreciate a high end plane. Both Lie Neilsen and Veritas make great planes. Some people enjoy refurbishing an old plane and some people would rather spend their time using the tool and not fixing it. Just have to decide which one you are.

I have a wood river plane from wood craft that is a decent tool. Definitely not a Lie Neilsen, but much cheaper.

Reactions: Clb
Doesn't take that long to refurbish a plane. Flatten the sole, check the edges for true and resharpen the blade. Done. No need to paint or otherwise pretty up a working plane. A billion of them out there in junk shops. Just stay away from collectibles and wooden bodied ones. Lie Neilsen and Veritas are the Snap On of woodworking tools. Nice but overpriced.

The big thing with ANY bladed hand tool is the ability to sharpen well. It is something they took for granted that is now lost on most people. That is the difference between a craftsman and frustration. So if you do not currently have that capability invest in quality stones and such needed to sharpen well. Angle jigs are nice if you can't hand sharpen by eye with precision.

Find the Woodworkers supply website.

Thanks for the responses all.

Yeah, I think I'm usually more into working on stuff than actually doing the work the stuff is supposed to do.:homer:

I am already shopping for some stones and got a Stanley no 4 for a decent price. The no 5s keep going a little higher than I want. I've been letting the collectables go to folks who do that sort of thing. I don't collect things, I use them.

I'll probably make it pretty, again, because I just don't have space to house projects yet.

Cool a woodworking thread. I’ve had a hand me down plane from back in the 70’s. I’ve used it several times but not a lot. I’ve done some woodworking projects through the years but mostly special trim work out of hardwood and some oak fireplace mantels. But today I have an accumulated back long of wood working projects to do. With that said, I’ve been adding tools to my woodworking shop in my basement. I have a fab shop in an out building but don’t want to combine wood working with steel fab work in the same area.

I’ve been collecting and using woodworking tools since the 70’s but at a much slower pace then my steel fab tool collection has went.

recently I decided to pick up some different sized wood planes for my shop. Only one of them I bought new which is a smaller palm type planer from Rockler. It was on a flash sale and had great reviews so I bought it.

I picked up a old new in the box Stanley No 5 planer. The fella I bought it from said he got it from his grandpa and he was older then me. I figure it’s from the 60’s or 70’s give or take. Maybe there’s a way to tell the year of it. I picked it up for $100 and felt that was a good deal. I picked up an older brown & sharpe No 21 mill vise too. If it was used it was maybe only couple times. $50 I figured was a good deal.

most all of my wood working tools are good quality stuff like my powermatic 66 table saw etc. but I don’t feel the need to buy high end planers as good ole US made ones will do me just fine.

here’s the old Stanley planer I bought n
3B73CB86-F679-4AD3-B4EB-EC8801711055.png
D0916D9E-8B55-400E-8600-AFC7CDC3E656.png
8BC054F6-5ACB-4A9B-8F7B-9C97F7D086DB.png

Nice looking plane! Looks practically new.

I'm sure a Stanley collector would have some way of telling due to a casting detail or even the label. There is no UPC symbol so it is at least earlier than mid 70's.

Top Back Refresh