What's new

Ham's chime in

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
Monitoring my local repeater, I figured the mass media will blow shit outta proportion when it really hits the fan.
kinda quiet here.

I just picked up General this past weekend. Been playing with HF a bunch more. FT8 is really fun too... it is like a ham radio scavenger hunt.

I have a TYT 9800 mobile for my UHF/VHF/6m connected to a Diamond x2000a antenna about 40 feet up on the roof. My HF is an Icom 7300 connected to a EFHW-8010 sloping from 40 feet to 55 feet over 125 feet.

We do have a local IRLP repeater, if you have never played with one of those.

I’ve recently started using vehicle mounted GMRS, the Midland MXT275, yes I know it’s not HAM. HAM isn’t big in the southeast for backcountry/wheeling/hunting communication, it’s primarily older guys that do it as a hobby. I need another hobby like a hole in my head, so I’m sticking to plug and play setups.

I’m not opposed to taking the HAM test, but I’ve got zero interest in programming, tweaking, messing with, building antennas, etc, for them. I’m hoping the GMRS repeater network takes off and can replace CB for trail use, but I’d consider getting into a simple HAM setup in the future.

Anybody have thoughts on this? I’m sure you could get something more powerful, cheaper, or better, but as a simple solution?

https://midlandusa.com/product/dbr25...two-way-radio/

Top Back Refresh