What's new

HAM Radio…

Biggest problem I have with my HAM radio is no one is ever on. Sure, sometimes people have radios on and listen all day every day. The reality I've found is they're rarely active. Sucks because 10+ years ago when cell phones weren't as popular it seemed like HAM radio was the way to go for communications. Now a days it seems like people buy a rugged radio and run GMRS without a license.

I wonder what the (gmrs) repeater accessibility is like today...
At least being able to hit the 805 from con SOMEONE will hear ya

Biggest problem I have with my HAM radio is no one is ever on. Sure, sometimes people have radios on and listen all day every day. The reality I've found is they're rarely active. Sucks because 10+ years ago when cell phones weren't as popular it seemed like HAM radio was the way to go for communications. Now a days it seems like people buy a rugged radio and run GMRS without a license.
Might be just around you. We have a bunch of active ham repeaters in my area!

GMRS is kind of a silly thing, in my opinion. You pay for your license, but cant use Ham repeaters. Pay for your Ham license and simple pulse-check test and you are talking on tons of 2m repeaters, with better range. Especially if you can hit an Echolink or IRLP repeater.

Gmrs works cuz everyone who had an OLD junk cb, and could not set it up or tune it now has a brandy spanking new unit
That "works".

Let the h8 begin:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Around me there are a number of repeaters but not many people on them. It's the same 4-5 people on the weekly nets. I have caught a few people passing through on the interstate. However, when I go to Colorado, there is a ton of repeater traffic. They have multiple nets per day with a lot of check-in's. Also, if you have a repeater with some of the digital modes close to you, you can talk around the world via the internet. Furthest away I've talked with the 2m/70cm radio in my truck was New Zeland and Japan.

Repeater Book

This will show you the location of repeaters, GMRS included.

me there are a number of repeaters but not many people on them. It's the same 4-5 people on the weekly nets. I have caught a few people passing through on the interstate.
Nets around here are fairly similar, usually the same 8 to 10 people ragchewing and discussing their day, unfortunately the early morning one usually winds up about time I get in the car and late morning one doesn't start until after I get to work.

Aaron Z

On the CB to HAM thing - the biggest reason there isn't an "all in one" radio is CB is AM and most of the common HAM bands are FM.

I do have a TYT 9800 that allegedly receives on AM but won't transmit (though some have claimed to have transmitted, it was most likely really dirty). The 9800 is quad band - 10/6/2m and 70cm. The 10m is close enough to CBs 11m that you can apparently listen on it.

Pretty much everyone in my club has some form of ham/GMRS setup. I bought two dozen TYT 9800's as a group buy thing to get some better gear in as any rigs as possible. The rest have at least a pair of UV5Rs and most of us have several spares for anyone that shows up without one. CBs are dead.

IMO, the best game plan for trail coms + emergencies these days is a vehicle mounted GMRS radio, 2 pack of handheld FRS radios, and an InReach/PLB. You can get set up with all of that for ~ $600.

GMRS is rapidly replacing CB as it’s just as “easy” except clearer, has more range, and less tuning issues. It’s also likely to keep some new guys from getting into HAM, as it’s much “simpler”. Around here, HAM is pretty much a hobby in and of itself for guys that want to chat and tinker, I don’t.

The handheld FRS radios will talk to the vehicle mounted GMRS, don’t require a license, and you can hand one off to a vehicle riding with you and keep one for your spotter. Bonus that they can be used away from the vehicle for hiking, hunting, walking out looking for help, etc.

The satellite messengers have pretty much replaced sat phones and are much more “assured” than sitting there calling out on your HAM over and over, hoping someone has heard you but you may not be able to hear their response. If you just want an SOS button to call SAR/Coast Guard, get a PLB. I have one and then bought an InReach with the intent of trying it and anticipating I’d end up returning it, but I’ve kept it.

It‘s nice to be able to send non emergency messages if you have people that care about you. For example “broke stub shaft, have parts, will be late” to your wife who was expecting you back in camp for dinner and would be freaking out. I sent my wife a message when I dropped my phone out of my climbing stand one day rather than letting her worry or ruining my hunt climbing down to get it. I’ve got the basic plan which is like $10/month. If you think of it as “insurance” rather than a “subscription” it might help you out mentally with preparing for it.

I don’t want to ”stay connected” in the backcountry, but these days if you regularly travel to places without cell signal or are out on the water and don’t carry some sat device, you’re foolish in my opinion. A $350 device could very likely save your life, or at least let your family find your body rather than just disappearing.

There are still some cases where HAM might be the best option, like if you’re an outfitter/tour company and want to regularly communicate with home base, but for most of us I don’t think it is.

I wheel alone out west. Just us…GMRS says two way radio, meaning it’s like a walkie talkie on steroids, right?

Seems a satellite phone/beacon set up is the best option for emergency needs. CB is the best for communicating to truckers on the road. HAM sounds like the last resort hope…or before sending off the beacon.

We just got a sat fone @1k$
My ft60 ht ham handheld is@ $150
A gmrs is dirt cheap from baofeng $$$ to icom$$$
Moral of the story is

Don't dickup:lmao:

I wheel alone out west. Just us…GMRS says two way radio, meaning it’s like a walkie talkie on steroids, right?

Seems a satellite phone/beacon set up is the best option for emergency needs. CB is the best for communicating to truckers on the road. HAM sounds like the last resort hope…or before sending off the beacon.
GMRS and FRS share some of the same frequencies. FRS uses between 0.5 and 2 watts where GMRS is allowed to use between 0.5 and 50 watts on the same frequencies. FRS can hear GMRS repeaters but cannot talk to them.

I would say your best option for emergency needs depends on where you will be. In Colorado there is a large network of 2m/70cm repeaters that are monitored all the time because the chance of someone needing back country assistance is much higher than where I am in Kansas. However if you want to go to the North Pole, a sat phone is probably a better choice than a 2m/70cm HAM radio (HF is a different story).

I did read that a GMRS repeater was recently install on the Rubicon, so GMRS gaining popularity.

Some of the fudd HAM people get upset at this but I modified the HAM radio in my truck to transmit and receive on all of the FRS/GMRS and race radio frequencies.

Awesome/informative thread.:smokin::beer:

edia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2Fl3q2XhfQ8oCkm1Ts4%2Fgiphy.gif

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a licensed radio service that uses channels around 462 MHz and 467 MHz
The FRS (Family Radio Service) is in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz range, all of which are shared with GMRS. Has authorized 22 channels
Both are in the UHF range.

Most of the race frequencies, KOH, Baja, Weatherman, and Weather Channel are VHF.
VHF are approximately 146 - 156 MHz range
MURS are in the VHF range and 5 designated frequencies that are open for use

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a licensed radio service that uses channels around 462 MHz and 467 MHz
The FRS (Family Radio Service) is in the 462 MHz and 467 MHz range, all of which are shared with GMRS. Has authorized 22 channels
Both are in the UHF range.

Most of the race frequencies, KOH, Baja, Weatherman, and Weather Channel are VHF.
VHF are approximately 146 - 156 MHz range
MURS are in the VHF range and 5 designated frequencies that are open for use
It is noteworthy that, watt for watt, VHF gets more simplex range and is less affected by foliage and such (although still affected). Just something to consider when talking GMRS vs Ham 2m communication.

It is noteworthy that, watt for watt, VHF gets more simplex range and is less affected by foliage and such (although still affected). Just something to consider when talking GMRS vs Ham 2m communication.
I worked the checkpoint at the exit to Aftershock at KOH 2008 and with a 50w Yaesu and a mag-mount antenna I had no problem reaching ops on the lakebed, which is separated by a small mountain, (for those of you that don't know). This was before Shawn started setting up a repeater on Fissure. I wish everyone would go the 2m route.

I worked the checkpoint at the exit to Aftershock at KOH 2008 and with a 50w Yaesu and a mag-mount antenna I had no problem reaching ops on the lakebed, which is separated by a small mountain, (for those of you that don't know). This was before Shawn started setting up a repeater on Fissure. I wish everyone would go the 2m route.
VHF has a better signal curve ability when going line of sight vs the higher frequencies like UHF. It isnt much (like 8% further than 'Radio Horizon', if I recall my studies) but it is something. Ducting can occur as well, but it is a very specific condition where things have to be just right.
1658333612154.png

HF vs VHF is even better because it will bounce (or skip) on the ionosphere.
1658333519624.png

Then you go into MUF (Max usable frequency) to determine propagation characteristics and distances for HF. It is a really fun theory to learn about.

Ohhhh
Elmer...
You're making the girls wet:flipoff2:
It should be interesting to see how gmrs fares once it's as old as cb was when it lost its "vogue"

I'm trying to get a LORA system going with meshtastic. Use a cell phone to transmit text to a LORA device, 915 MHz freq. Several sat are up and running to help the transmit range and can also include GPS directions. Text only though no voice.

Reactions: Clb
I think there are plenty of GMRS repeaters out there to get the job done. There is a Wednesday night net where you have people talking to each other from coast to coast using the GMRS repeaters. I have my radios on in the background sometimes and there is easily 10 times as much activity on the GMRS freqs. Plus the license fee for GMRS finally dropped to $35 and no test.

The Baofangs are pretty nice just about all in one units. You can receiver and transmit on 2m, 70 cm, MURS, GMRS frequencies, let the sad hams squawk about how that's not allowed.:flipoff2: They are super easy to program using CHIRP so you can program them for repeater tones and offsets as well as wattage output.

I'd get a Baofang UV-50x2 and an appropriate Nagoya antenna on your roof and call it a day for an in rig unit. You can program it to transmit up to 50 watts, plus different wattage on the same freqs on different channels. This is what I'm using in my trucks directly wired to the battery. You can also get a UV82HP hand held and use an external antenna with good results.

At my house I have Yaesu, Baofang, and TYT transceivers on every freq from GMRS, 70cm, 2m, 6m, 10m and CB. Once I get more than my Tech I may move further into the HF area.

I think there are plenty of GMRS repeaters out there to get the job done. There is a Wednesday night net where you have people talking to each other from coast to coast using the GMRS repeaters. I have my radios on in the background sometimes and there is easily 10 times as much activity on the GMRS freqs. Plus the license fee for GMRS finally dropped to $35 and no test.

The Baofangs are pretty nice just about all in one units. You can receiver and transmit on 2m, 70 cm, MURS, GMRS frequencies, let the sad hams squawk about how that's not allowed.:flipoff2: They are super easy to program using CHIRP so you can program them for repeater tones and offsets as well as wattage output.

I'd get a Baofang UV-50x2 and an appropriate Nagoya antenna on your roof and call it a day for an in rig unit. You can program it to transmit up to 50 watts, plus different wattage on the same freqs on different channels. This is what I'm using in my trucks directly wired to the battery. You can also get a UV82HP hand held and use an external antenna with good results.

At my house I have Yaesu, Baofang, and TYT transceivers on every freq from GMRS, 70cm, 2m, 6m, 10m and CB. Once I get more than my Tech I may move further into the HF area.
Interesting, gmrs net sound interesting...
Thanx

So roughly how far could something like this reach?

I have a Ham and CB in my trail rig. CB is one of those Cobra models where all the control are in the mic for saving space. Ham has been there for a few years and I'm still planning on getting a license..
I decided to add a Ham when I was out in the high Sierras with a bunch of guys who had them. One of those Jeep things snapped a axle shaft at Swamp Lake. He radioed his Dad in Fresno, who went to Randy's. Counter monkey came out to the parking lot and talked to him so they knew exactly what was needed. Another rig went out to the trailhead and met Dad with the parts. If they hadn't had that radio, it would have taken 2 days out of our trip, where this way was a half day as we had it disassembled when the parts arrived. Spent the extra time trout fishing.
Buddy with a plasma table made a cool double mic holder.
20171218_144024.jpg

20171218_164944.jpg
Isn't that just a VHF radio? I have one of those.

Top Back Refresh