What's new

HAM Radio…

All the times I've suggested a MARS mod to get GMRS and HAM in one radio, I've gotten tons of "Errr myyy gawwwd, it's not type rated for that" responses.
From the same guys who use old Motorola commerical gear to build repeaters.

I had the MARS mod done on 3 radios I bought from HRO.
I think it's funny that all the old guys get upset when you mention the MARS mod, but its a $20-30 add on for most any radio from HRO.

I had a local electronics repair guy it to my FTM-400.

I've never paid for one. They are all so easy, it's almost like the manufacturer did it one purpose. Hmm

I have opened used radios to mod them and discovered it was already done.

Adding to this thread. Got my license after running rubicon a few times. After listening to snail trail guys I went right in to Aprs and recently got my general. Looking to get in to shtf hf at some point when life slows down.

Can’t believe more off-roaders run Aprs such a slick tool. Great to text and email if you’re setup for it. Currently run some mars modded baofengs to hand out on trail runs because I’m just over cb’s.

I just ordered an ftm-400 waiting to see if it will show since it’s discontinued.

I have found that the MARS mod is stupid simple as well. Hell, for the IC7300, you just pop a single diode out and you're good to go.

Well I just bought the TYT-7900 from Amazon with a magnetic antenna. I had some difficulty hitting a repeater from work this afternoon for the noon lunch chat so ideally 50 watts will be enough power to get through some trees and hit a repeater out of direct line of sight.
It’s mostly going to be for trail coms. Some guys run GMRS and others use the race radio (151.xxxx) frequencies so ideally I can use this for everyone when I’m in the jeep. Maybe I’ll try hitting farther repeaters driving to/from work.

The only thing I’ve heard negative about the TYT is the mic is sensitive/loud enough n the receiving end. I’ll probably put the main unit under the driver seat and the removable head unit part somewhere east to access. Maybe some kind of flexible mount is in order.

Well I just bought the TYT-7900 from Amazon with a magnetic antenna. I had some difficulty hitting a repeater from work this afternoon for the noon lunch chat so ideally 50 watts will be enough power to get through some trees and hit a repeater out of direct line of sight.
It’s mostly going to be for trail coms. Some guys run GMRS and others use the race radio (151.xxxx) frequencies so ideally I can use this for everyone when I’m in the jeep. Maybe I’ll try hitting farther repeaters driving to/from work.

The only thing I’ve heard negative about the TYT is the mic is sensitive/loud enough n the receiving end. I’ll probably put the main unit under the driver seat and the removable head unit part somewhere east to access. Maybe some kind of flexible mount is in order.
One thing to consider is looking at Aprs for off-roading. Nice to be able to text out to non hams as well using it.

I’ve heard the tyt has a hot mic but good radio for the value. I’m looking at putting a little cheaper radio in my tow rig

One things that some old guys taught me is to hold the mic sideways by your cheek and talk across it instead of holding it right in front of your mount and talking directly into it.

I thought about APRS and digital and bells and whistles. I stopped myself from spending $1,000 on a radio, and told myself ‘it’s what you asked for as a birthday gift, and people gave you money.’

image.jpg

What a different world when you have a better antenna. Guys in south San Francisco and Pacifica from Reno. I haven’t reached out but I couldn’t hit this (K6LNK) previously.

Toss up some prices? LOL.

I might not be interested but one of my buddies might

I'll give ya three fiddy for both.

I might be interested in the 891. But not interested enough to PM someone. Post up prices.

So it turns out the TYT 9800 can be programmed using CHIRP. I discovered this after spending too much time using the internet to find a TYT USB driver. There was some post/PDF document about changing frequencies on the TYT for TX/RX, but I double I’ll ever need to mess with it since Chirp will program everything for me. Even allows me to change the dimming.

Chirp is amazing.

What is the point of Time Out timers? Just makes you STFU without requiring you to let go of the talk button?

Also, any idea of what I should set squelch at? all I remember was on a CB something said ‘turn it until you hear white noise then turn it down.’

What is the point of Time Out timers? Just makes you STFU without requiring you to let go of the talk button?

Also, any idea of what I should set squelch at? all I remember was on a CB something said ‘turn it until you hear white noise then turn it down.’
Tot is for hot mic accidents and people who don't know how to shut up. Both good for the spectrum so you aren't blasting crap and will keep radios from overheating.

What you heard on squelch is correct. For the digital squelches it's best to mess around till you find one that usually works, set that in the memory/config and then tube for the situation. Turn it down when trying to hear a faint station.

How about antenna wire? I have a 160m horizontal delta loop I just spliced back together for the 4th time. It's 14g Home Depot THHN stranded. I figure its the wind on the trees work hardening the copper, because it always breaks this time of year, right at the pulleys. The Kevlar cored stuff looks promising. Anyone have a source? No buttseks shipping from Europe. No steel core either, it'll rust no matter what.

I used 12ga bare stranded for my g5rv and no breaks. Not thhn, it's a lower strand count and heavier gauge. Got it from some guy at a show

I used 12ga bare stranded for my g5rv and no breaks. Not thhn, it's a lower strand count and heavier gauge. Got it from some guy at a show
There is a balance between strength and weight. Too thick and it wants to have a huge catenary droop but you can pull it tighter. Too thin and it wont droop as much but it snaps/stretches easier.
I found that 14ga boat wire works great for my wire antennas

And its down again. Was hoping to have more time to think about it and just drag a new chunk of wire through. I think since I'll be shooting ropes over trees again I might make it an 80m loop. Should perform better on the higher bands and 160 wasn't really useful anyway, cant make the trees any taller.

Is your wire snapping? Are you leaving enough slack? This wire (look close) was too tight. I had to let it out. I also have a spring incorporated into the system for wind strain relief. The tension cord that attaches to the isolator on the wire runs over a pulley to reduce friction too. That helps a lot. (Fuel line works great for abrasion guard when pulled over a branch)

206881451_3012326082344991_3642500543170900345_n.jpg
186513682_476348430144456_3416310285867270385_n.jpg

Top Back Refresh