What's new

Half-Burnt Swiss 404.

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi

Copy of DSCF1021.JPG

Last edited:
Well, that sucks. Wiring issue?
House/carport fire at a cottage. This one had just been rebuilt by mercedes in Gaganeau then was surplused. It was at a retired guy's cottage.

The rear canvas was in the detached garage (so not burnt). Unfortunately, the complete set of spare tires/wheels were in the box and burnt as well.

Note: These pics are from 2004. I'm in competition with Sceep.

Copy of DSCF1013.JPG
Copy of DSCF1014.JPG
Copy of DSCF1015.JPG

Last edited:
House/carport fire at a cottage. This one had just been rebuilt by mercedes in Gaganeau then was surplused. It was at a retired guy's cottage.

The rear canvas was in the detached garage (so not burnt). Unfortunately, the complete set of spare tires/wheels were in the box and burnt as well.

Note: These pics are from 2004. I'm in competition with Sceep.

Copy of DSCF1013.JPG
Copy of DSCF1014.JPG
Copy of DSCF1015.JPG
Damn that looks like it's in decent shape for being in a fire.

.... and all this time I thought you just had a Burnt Orange 404 .... but like ... painted ... not burnt

We should get a progress competition going with you and Sceep ....

25 year old me taking it out for it's first test drive to prove it was worth fixing properly.

Gotta love having the steering column, brake and clutch mounted directly to the frame. I drove it a bunch of times that summer, including in town on roads. Cops only pulled me over once. Red triangle on the back of my "prospecting buggy" so I was good to go.

100_0610 (3).JPG
100_0611 (2).JPG

Replacing the frame mounted positive junction post with a blue sea part. Of course the bolt patterns are different.

No problem, I've got this piece of wear plastic I found on the road.
GOPR0500.jpg
GOPR0524.jpg
GOPR0523.jpg

milled it flat on a tablesaw then drilled two bolt patterns, recessed two of the bolt heads, one on either side.

Then I realized I fucked it up so I had to make a second one.:homer:

GOPR0529.jpg
GOPR0533.jpg
GOPR0536.jpg
GOPR0541.jpg

Didn't want to use the cole hersee switch I had since it had a stupid UL sticker that said it was only good for 20 amps at 12 volts (see thread:Electrical Switch Ratings) , so I blasted the stock master disconnect hole out for a blue sea systems one.

I've since learned about failures of this switch, so I contacted them about it. There's a reinforcement ring available. Waiting to hear back.

I also have to make a mounting plate so I can use all four mounting holes.

GOPR0517.jpg
GOPR0521.jpg

Steering wheel was flopping around, missing a bushing or something near the top of the column. Couldn't find a part online, or a picture so I made what I guess used to be there before the fire.

Spun out the column and dropped a bunch of burnt junk into the steering box bearing.

Seems like there should be a seal or something here to prevent steering column junk from ending up in the box...but I don't see it in the exploded view parts diagrams.

Cleaned the junk out as best I could, don't think it will hurt anything as it's mostly burnt rubber and ash, should come out with oil changes.

Last pic is the bushing holder.
GOPR0577.jpg
GOPR0579.jpg
GOPR0581.jpg

Finally a use for some genuine Teflon™ I brought home from work.

I had to thin it out some so I used a new flapwheel on a grinder. The wheel barely touched this stuff.

Finished product works great!

GOPR0582.jpg
GOPR0583.jpg
GOPR0584.jpg
GOPR0585.jpg
GOPR0586.jpg

Got some third row seats from an expedition I think.

They seem to fit real nice and it's a plus that they can fold flat to make access behind them easier.

Welded some mounts and powdercoated.

Unfortunately I will lose access to the glove box under the passenger seat. It also sucks that I won't be able to yank the seats out for camping.

RIMG3800.JPG
RIMG3801.JPG
RIMG3802.JPG
RIMG3804.JPG
RIMG3805.JPG

Had the stock oil-bath filter assembly powdercoated.

Today I yanked both rubber seals and washed out all the stainless-steel wool in old gasoline. Seems cleaner than it was.

GOPR0575.jpg
GOPR0576.jpg

Stock oil pressure gauge fitting on the filter housing is some super-oddball pipe fitting that uses straight metric threads.

I took a JIC male-male fitting and lathed off the taper, then tapped inside the matching metric threads.

Sealed with an annealed copper washer made from plumbing pipe.

GOPR0486.jpg

Today I picked up engine oil, coolant, distilled water and two batteries.

Yanked the spark plugs and added penetrating oil to the pistons. Dumped a liter of engine oil on the valve train and cranked it over some.

I have amazing spark without a ballast resistor, but the ignitor won't live long at full voltage. I think I need about 18 volts.

Don't have a stock ballast resistor, but I have two from Pinzgauers and one from a dodge car. The dodge car is 6 ohms and only gives me about 6 volts at the coil (not enough).

The Pinz resistor gives me a bit more voltage, but not enough to have spark.

I paralleled up the two Pinz resistors (making 2.1 ohms) and I'm getting 15 volts at the coil. This is only with the batteries connected (no alternator) so when the alternator is on I should have a few more volts and be right around the target 18 volts.

So, my question is should I leave the two resistors in parallel, or snip the resistor wire on one in half?

I'm thinking I should snip the wire as it will leave me with a resistor for my spare parts. I'm not sure if this will make the wire heat up too much and burn out.

NOS-BOSCH-Military-MERCEDES-UNIMOG-404-Pinzgauer-Ignition-_57.jpg

Are you leaving it 24v or going 12?
24. I've got a 24 volt warn MOSSFET controller and two 24v HMMWV M12 winches and a plan to operate them both from same controller.

Also have a 90 amp one wire 24v alternator from a EJC scoop.

I still have to make a plan for 12 volt stuff (probably a 24-to-12 volt power supply).

On the steering box input, it probably had a piece of felt at one time as a vent.

Finished swearing and soldering the coolant reservoir back together.

Test, bubbles, dry, solder, cool, test, bubbles somewhere else, dry, solder, cool, test, bubbles at the first place, dry, solder, cool, test, more bubbles, dry, solder, cool, test, still bubbles,.........................................................FUCK. Life's hard.

Testing involved being an octopus and wrestling this fucking thing into a 5 gallon pail while trying to cap the big tube with one hand and pressurizing with a blowgun in the other hand.

Then try and see where all the bubbles are coming from.

GOPR0597.jpg
GOPR0598.jpg

Then once it passed the leak test, I did a proper coolant system test with a rubber dingus and hand pump to test the cap. It would bleed pressure down to almost nothing.

This style cap seals at two places (inner and outer) It didn't seem to be touching the inner one at all so I made a rubber washer to bridge the gap. Then it tested perfectly at 0.4 BAR (6 psi).

Now that I think about it, I'm going to check if I can use a thinner upper gasket which might allow better lower contact.
GOPR0599.jpg
GOPR0600.jpg

Back into the ignition stuff.

I'm trying to make my pertronix coil (flamethrower 3.0 ohms) and ignitor happy with 17-21 volts.

The ballast resistors I have on hand are a 6 ohm from a dodge car I think, as well as two 4 ohm resistors that I got on ebay, stating they were original unimog/pinz resistors.

Starting with 25 volts from the batteries, and using the 6 ohm resistor, I'm getting about 9 volts out---------too low.

Again, 25 volts and using one 4 ohm resistor I'm getting 11 volts---------still too low.

I paralleled the two 4 ohms to get 2 ohms, and with that I have 15 volts--------still too low, but will make a weak spark.

By my math, I need about a 1.1 ohm ballast resistor to get about 19 volts and make everything happy.

That resistor would have to be about a 200 watt. I'm finding resistors in that range for dodge cars, but no wattage listed, and since they were 12 volt cars, I doubt they'd last (double the wattage).

Can someone disconnect one lead off their ballast resistor and check it's resistance? I'd like to see what it should be.

Top Back Refresh