What's new

Gyrobalancer for boats

But it’s definitely a luxury gadget and not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination.
For the older crowed you're basically paying $25k to triple the number of days you (or your wife) can be on the water without serious risk of a crippling slip and fall.

I think that's a decently large slice of the overall saltwater pleasure craft market.

For the older crowed you're basically paying $25k to triple the number of days you (or your wife) can be on the water without serious risk of a crippling slip and fall.

I think that's a decently large slice of the overall saltwater pleasure craft market.
Well you’ve still got to run out and back to the fishing grounds which the gyro isn’t as drastically helpful with and that’s the part that really kicks your ass on those borderline weather days. That’s a young man’s game; My fishing crew collectively became lot more picky about offshore forecasts after we crested our early 30’s.

If the seas are rough enough that it’d be a no go to troll without the gyro, in a small enough boat that meets the specs of the little $25k entry level unit, it’s gonna be wet and jarring with the gyro plowing you into waves. It really just makes a good days more pleasant.

Last edited:
The smallest unit I see on the website is $16,000 for a 23-30 foot boat. I actually think that’s pretty reasonable price for the upgrade. There’s a lot of boats in that size range that the sea keeper is still a very relatively small amount of money. If I could find more time to use my boat, I could see myself looking pretty hard at these.

Plenty of days that riding out to a spot in the gulf is tolerable but it gets pretty lumpy and uncomfortable to fish in. Getting seasick isn’t even consideration.

The big problem I see to installing one on my boat is, who knows where you’re supposed to put that thing. It appears to be pretty big item just to find some extra space for.

The big problem I see to installing one on my boat is, who knows where you’re supposed to put that thing. It appears to be pretty big item just to find some extra space for.

Somewhere in the centerline aft of amidship is the general location. ( also somewhere ~400 lb of ballast won’t mess with boat balance.) That’s Really tough for a single engine inboard express configuration.
Center consoles put them on the deck under the leaning post:
IMG_4332.jpeg

building a structure to tie into the boat frame stringers without it tearing the boat apart is an additional challenge.

This is the smallest unit exerts some serious forces, (m14 10.9 fasteners to ~9/16 in freedom units )
IMG_4330.jpeg

IMG_4331.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh