What's new

Gun people look at this spanish mauser

yeah, case neck looks way blown out, almost like it'd fit over the unfired case neck

measure the ID with a calipers real quick?

Reactions: DMG
ah no calipers for home
maybe just see if it'd fit over a .30 caliber bullet or maybe an 8mm if you've got one laying around

fucking forum software, posts keep appearing on screen, but not all of them

486, the case can look exactly as shown with standard pressure and a slight headspace issue.

nah man, standard pressure sets the case head back over the primer
why's the bolt even got lugs if it didn't?

ah no calipers for home
maybe just see if it'd fit over a .30 caliber bullet or maybe an 8mm if you've got one laying around
it comes fairly close to fitting over a .30 cal. 7mm is definitley loose. Wasnt there a 7.25 caliber in some moausers?

it comes fairly close to fitting over a .30 cal. 7mm is definitley loose. Wasnt there a 7.25 caliber in some moausers?
there's like a 7.35 carcano that's a .300ish bullet instead of the normal .30 being .308-.312 but I dunno about that ending up in a mauser
7x57 should be .285

really strange stuff
I just can't get over the case wall having enough strength to hold back chamber pressure. That's the whole reason that brass stretches and you gotta trim it eventually, even .45acp will stretch the brass a little and that's running at practically shotgun pressures (it's a thinner case for sure, but still)
the front end of the case sticks to the chamber under the pressure and the head sets back against the bolt
There's actually a few little blowback pistols that are delayed by a ring cut in the chamber that mangles the brass a little for some reduction in slide velocity

Last edited:
In for IBB's version of Kentucky ballistics slaprounds incident :laughing:
We can make him a kevlar neck gaitor before he shoots it any more. :flipoff2:

2 cases fired in the rifle shaped object and one unfired frim the same box.

6082273F-FAA7-410B-A7FC-598F00FCA0B7.jpeg
9EFA581F-AC7A-42E5-B99C-0C469AE6724D.jpeg
Those look like any other normal brass to me. No obvious shiny spots, no bright lines round the case head. It's hard to tell, but did the neck stretch? What's the OAL of the fired cases?

EDIT: Had this thread opened on a different computer and was a few posts behind. :homer:

There is 7.65x53 Argentine. Also 6.5 Swedish. I'd still confirm it is not 308 NATO.

There is 7.65x53 Argentine. Also 6.5 Swedish. I'd still confirm it is not 308 NATO.
6.5 would certainly make that thing set the case head back lol
the various .30s don't really make sense as the case neck isn't expanded out that far, there could be something like .010" of clearance in the neck of the chamber in something like that

maybe its just a case of federal 7x57 being loaded really light, so light that it doesn't have the pressure to blow up
kinda like shooting any cheap american made 9x19 next to cheap wolf 9x19, the european trash is loaded significantly hotter than the american trash

I'm kinda surprised at all the "headspace" comments. Shouldn't be, as it's dark art voodoo apparently.
here's a real good site explaining what's going on in the chamber

and here's a .gif stolen from there for those too lazy to read through that and expand their understanding of metals
deform.gif
yes, which is why I mentioned light handloads, but I've never seen a commercially loaded cartridge fail to stretch to the bolt face unless the headspace is too great.

but hey, toss more pressure at it and find out, what's the worst that could happen?

or you just get a set of gauges and make sure that it's in spec before you assume it is.

I also didn't see any carbon around the case neck or down the case sides, which indicates the pressure is adequate to stretch the brass to fit the chamber.

1. Do the serial numbers on the bolt and receiver match ?

If it is chambered in 7x57 Mauser, the bolt should not close on the 8x57. It should't close on a 7.62 NATO as the neck on NATO is wider. Bolt wolt close on that, right ? Pretty sure he said, he restated that the Federal 7x57 cartridge with the .284 or close bullet DID fit snug, not tight in the bore. That rules out the any 7.62, 7.65, or 7.55. A 6.5x55 Swede Chamber would not fit the longer 7x57 and the bullet slop would be evident if the .264 was placed into the bore.

yeah :idea: Look at the pics above. That underlines what I am saying and rules out many variables as you can see.

Shall we start a poll ?

I put a 12-pack of PBR on original 7x57 Mauser.

but,

answer question 1 please :flipoff2:

1. Do the serial numbers on the bolt and receiver match ?

If it is chambered in 7x57 Mauser, the bolt should not close on the 8x57. It should't close on a 7.62 NATO as the neck on NATO is wider. Bolt wolt close on that, right ? Pretty sure he said, he restated that the Federal 7x57 cartridge with the .284 or close bullet DID fit snug, not tight in the bore. That rules out the any 7.62, 7.65, or 7.55. A 6.5x55 Swede Chamber would not fit the longer 7x57 and the bullet slop would be evident if the .264 was placed into the bore.

yeah :idea: Look at the pics above. That underlines what I am saying and rules out many variables as you can see.

Shall we start a poll ?

I put a 12-pack of PBR on original 7x57 Mauser.

but,

answer question 1 please :flipoff2:
I don't think I've ever seen a mouser with a serial numbered bolt. My latest FN doesn't have that. There's very few rifles that ever have serialized bolts

I don't think I've ever seen a mouser with a serial numbered bolt. My latest FN doesn't have that. There's very few rifles that ever have serialized bolts

Uh wut ? All three of mine from three different countries have a least the partial ending serial number. The Bolt and receiver SN are the diagnostic answer to a matching SN weapon. All the other SN are neat for collectors but arent really functionally important. Maybe your bolt SN got ground or polished off ? My Steyr the bolt handle was cut, polished and welded by my Gsmith, the SN is gone on that one but when it came out of the box at Big 5 it had mismatching SN on the bolt and receiver. Even my Yugo has bolt SN. Military Mausers came from the factories into Mil service with matching bolt, barrel and receiver numbers. Is your FN a military or commercial ? Maybe it has been worked and SN is gone ?

But the OP needs a simple chamber cast and we can all go back to fixing Trampas :eek:

:flipoff2:

Here are my three bolts - The SN may not be obvious or self evident as on the Steyr it is indeed there, but on the underside -
Mauser bolts 2.jpg

Funtime is over. Unless you start charging admission :laughing:

Cerrosafe Brownells - Link $15 Go boy !!! Go !!! Post back here about trying to hammer that shit out or that you spilled molten on to your patouche !!

p_080027100_1.jpg

Here are my three bolts - The SN may not be obvious or self evident as on the Steyr it is indeed there, but on the underside -

The old ones all were. No ATF in Sweden or the former Yugoslavia.
The Germans LOVED to serialize their stuff. Bolts, cocking pieces, safeties, sling retainers...Often the small parts will just have the last two digits.

Spanish is a crap shoot. Latin American is often German contract and thus serialized.

The standard Spanish round dating back to the Spanish American War was the 7x57. The weapon he has is not a German Mauser. It apparently is a Spanish Mauser and they were mass made in the Standard Spanish 7x57 chambering. You have two Spanish Crest Military Mauser in 8x57 ? Interested to see a pic of them.
I will dig them out of the safe when i get a chance since they are at my brothers while im moving. But yes they are spanish made mausers in 8x57. Bought some years ago.

Ok, my 8mm mauser is a yogus there should be some kind of import mark near the muzzle like this.
20211126_161720.jpg

20211126_162111.jpg

So there were indeed "Spanish Mausers" in 8x57. Small and later large ring. The "Spanish Mauser" is a Mouse hole as there are at least 4 or 5 variants over the years from different countries and domestic production, all different in dimensions, cartridges and then re-barreled into 7.62 NATO. I used to read Mauser Central but it went tits u a few years back, There were real experts there that could write a book on this . .. . ..

you figure out yet that its actually a wildcat 7x57 necked up to take .298" carcano bullets because that's the absolute best cartridge for hunting chupacabras

See also: magical kennedy bullets

Top Back Refresh