What's new

Gun people look at this spanish mauser

hammer a piece of 00 buck into the muzzle, tap it back out and measure the largest diameter

Reactions: DMG
it an 8x57?
would make sense, not developing enough chamber pressure to set the case back onto the primer
I dont think it is that big. it may be 308 but the chamber is carboned up from shooting 7x57 out of it. Ill scrub it and try 308 again.

7x57 won't fit in a .308 chamber, will it?
I guess .308 has a real short neck compared to anything that old, so maybe...

I wonder if i can rechamber it in 7.62x39 or 44 mag?

No. Not without unreasonable work. But anything is possible.

I have a re-barrelled 1912 Chileno that has seen thousands of 6.5-06 loaded to max, and more of the same in 6mmBR Norma. Estimating 60,000 psi based on velocity and published data

Prolly a really shot out 7x57. With non-matching bolt and headspace issue as alluded to above. It wood take a weird world to have a Spanish weapon in German 8x57. An 7x57 bolt wouldn't close on an 8x57, the 7 case is shorter to the neck and of course the neck dimensions are way off. The Spanish were rechambered in 7.62 NATO as was my Chileno, a Steyr of Austria Mauser crest. I'll bet a pic of the bore shows it is a corroded nightmare. If it's a Large Ring that would be evident by the action screws which differ from the Small Ring. See Wiki. If it's the Large ring from the period 1925 it should be able to handle modern pressures including full power European Spec in the 55,000 psi range or thereabouts.

You have already shot soft Federal 7x57 and they went downrange with nothing more than a primer kiss. That's most likely what you have. The action if as surmised is worth $100/$200 but in these times who knows.

No gauges. I may get some. The bolt feels a bit sloppy so i may try another bolt if i can find one cheap.

Arghhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooooo No more, off to drink finally. :eek:

If the barrel is trash, then hang onto the action, verify by action screws if its a LR and a keeper. If yes, then re-barrel chamber in the non-magnum of your choosing within the limits of the magazine length. .243, .308, 7mm-08 or 8x57 all viable in the best case scenario. Hell, even a 6.5 CR and get a pink stock :laughing:

Prolly a really shot out 7x57. With non-matching bolt and headspace issue as alluded to above. It wood take a weird world to have a Spanish weapon in German 8x57.

Why exactly? I have two of them in my safe at my brothers right now. Not to mention the spanish used a lot of german 8mm. The spanish civil war was nazi germanys testing ground before ww2.

I would have stopped after round #1 and done a few things: a chamber casting, check for caliber markings stamped into the barrel, and checking the lugs on the bolt and receiver for wear and fit.
Sum Ting Wong.

I'm kinda surprised at all the "headspace" comments. Shouldn't be, as it's dark art voodoo apparently.
here's a real good site explaining what's going on in the chamber

and here's a .gif stolen from there for those too lazy to read through that and expand their understanding of metals
deform.gif

Those primers are pushed out, but not flattened. Definitely and issue, but not a "it's going to blow up and kill all of the nuns" issue.

What happened?
I was a long time ago but i bought a used NAA 380 that appeared to have never been fired. I looked it over and dry fired it. It looked great.

I took it to the range to try it out and (we think) it fired out of battery. I cant rule out an overloaded cartridge but that is really unlikely.

Some little pieces of something were embedded in my chin and my forehead was bleeding. My safety glasses had little dents in them. The slide came off and i am not sure we found all the pieces.

I went back to the gun store with a plastic bag full of gun parts and they gave me a store credit for it and the ammo which I used on a SW 642 and some +p .38. I was in there regularly and never saw it for sale again. Hopefully they tossed it in the garbage.

My takeaway: always wear safety glasses at the range. And there is a surprising amount of explosion in a 380 round.

measure the bore yet?
I just stuck a loose 7mm bullet in and it is tight as it should be. So I am dumber than previously thought and It probably is a 7x57 with a worn out or mismatched bolt. I am going to trybto figure out headspacing.

I have what I believe is a 8mm at home I also have boolits for it I can check it out closer when I get back tomorrow.

I just stuck a loose 7mm bullet in and it is tight as it should be. So I am dumber than previously thought and It probably is a 7x57 with a worn out or mismatched bolt. I am going to trybto figure out headspacing.
huh, odd
wonder why it wasn't making enough pressure to set the case back, because chamber pressure absolutely should be enough to rip the case head off in order to set it back against the bolt face

did the cases fireform out looking fairly normal on the front half? Picture of fired cases next to unfired would be helpful

Why exactly? I have two of them in my safe at my brothers right now. Not to mention the spanish used a lot of german 8mm. The spanish civil war was nazi germanys testing ground before ww2.

The standard Spanish round dating back to the Spanish American War was the 7x57. The weapon he has is not a German Mauser. It apparently is a Spanish Mauser and they were mass made in the Standard Spanish 7x57 chambering. You have two Spanish Crest Military Mauser in 8x57 ? Interested to see a pic of them.

huh, odd
wonder why it wasn't making enough pressure to set the case back, because chamber pressure absolutely should be enough to rip the case head off in order to set it back against the bolt face

did the cases fireform out looking fairly normal on the front half? Picture of fired cases next to unfired would be helpful
2 cases fired in the rifle shaped object and one unfired frim the same box.

6082273F-FAA7-410B-A7FC-598F00FCA0B7.jpeg
9EFA581F-AC7A-42E5-B99C-0C469AE6724D.jpeg

The 7mm bullet was tight in the barrel. it is 7mm
:idea:

Well there goes teh .318 or .323 8x57. He fired a Federal 7x57 in it. The primer hit looks deep and the primer appears a little pushed out. Symptomatic of a soft load and or headspace. I dont think he states if the bolt and receiver are matching serial nos. So........ very common to have a thrown together bolt and rifle to yield a slight mismatch and ensuing headspace issue. 486, the case can look exactly as shown with standard pressure and a slight headspace issue. You can also get that by seriously underloading the case. Havent you done that or had the powder black soot around the case neck ? OP you are onto the most logical conclusion. A cheap Shaw barrel in the flavor of your choice or get a Douglas or Shilen pre-fit. Have you measured the receiver to see if which Mauser action it is ?

I cant think of any more normal looking fired cases in my experience.

Top Back Refresh