What's new

Gun people look at this spanish mauser

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Crusty okd Spanish mauser. Look what its doing to the primers. Will it collect some fingers or is it
20211124_114129.jpg
20211124_114107.jpg
20211124_114052.jpg
good to shoot?

It doesn't look dangerous like about to come apart, but it aint right pushing those primers back like that. Agree with the others on headspace. I think if your caliber was off, it would push back around the jacket not through it. That statement sounds more sure than I am though.

super sketchy if it's pushing out primers.

I'm gonna guess to much headspace. You got gauges?
No gauges. I may get some. The bolt feels a bit sloppy so i may try another bolt if i can find one cheap.

Were they ever? :laughing: The one I had appeared to have been made by drunken monkeys.
I dont know. My Husqvarna lightweight in 7X57 is great. This one may be best saved to trade to my enemies after the apocolypse.

A 7mm bullet fits very, very loosely in the bore. it can rattle around. So now i dont know what the F this thing is.

The bolt wont close on a 308. Maybe its a 7.25. If it is I am going to be annoyed.

Last edited:
Is it based on the M98? That's a very different animal. As far as I recall (long time ago), the M93s were considered trash in comparison.
I dont remember. I think the Husky is a small ring mauser.

After 100 years of refit and abuse, that one is done. You would have to pull the barrel and reset the headspace then try and align the sights or re-barrel. Some of those were re-bored to 7.62 nato spec, but a pretty weak actions for modern pressures. I'd call it wall hanger and be done.

I have an old small ring swedish mauser in 6.5x55, but I use the old load data not modern pressure loads. Not worth fucking around and finding out.

After 100 years of refit and abuse, that one is done. You would have to pull the barrel and reset the headspace then try and align the sights or re-barrel. Some of those were re-bored to 7.62 nato spec, but a pretty weak actions for modern pressures. I'd call it wall hanger and be done.
Mine was one such specimen (308 Winchester). Seems completely insane to re-chamber a low-pressure rifle for a high-pressure cartridge. If that's what's going on here, I'd go ahead and lose it in a fortunate boating accident. I fired mine. I might be lucky there's no Mauser bolt lodged in my cheek bone :eek:

Reactions: DMG
I wonder if i can rechamber it in 7.62x39 or 44 mag?

Last edited:
Mine was one such specimen (308 Winchester). Seems completely insane to re-chamber a low-pressure rifle for a high-pressure cartridge. If that's what's going on here, I'd go ahead and lose it in a fortunate boating accident. I fired mine. I might be lucky there's no Mauser bolt lodged in my cheek bone :eek:
I have a short barreled cavalry version. It kicks like a mule but it is shootable. They converted a bunch of them when Spain and other Countries joined NATO or chose NATO ammo specs for commonality. If they were a risk to shoot the internet would be full of pics of them blown up.

I’ve got one that was done in 308. Looked to be a fresh barrel at the time I got it and the dealer had mounds of them. That being said, I think they were offered re barreled in other calibers also. I would figure out what chamber it is or at the very least get the head space fixed before something bad happens. E R Shaw used to do good work the last time I had a re barrel done Been a long time though

I’ve got one that was done in 308. Looked to be a fresh barrel at the time I got it and the dealer had mounds of them. That being said, I think they were offered re barreled in other calibers also. I would figure out what chamber it is or at the very least get the head space fixed before something bad happens. E R Shaw used to do good work the last time I had a re barrel done Been a long time though
I used to live right by ER Shaw. wish my friend still worked there.

Top Back Refresh