What's new

Guitar Thread - Post up your guitars and favorite playing style

White Shark

Red Triangle
Member Number
I know we've got a bunch of guitar and bass guys here and searched through the posts for a guitar pic thread with no results. Post up some guitar and bass pics here and tell us your favorite style of playing.

I'm a big Gretsch and Fender guy and play a lot of rockabilly, surf guitar, punk, and western swing / old cowboy songs.

Favorite guitars - Gretsch G5420T, Gretsch G5034TFT, Fender American Strat, and Fender American Telecaster. I've got others, but those are my main players. Picking up a G6120T '59 Setzer Nashville "Smoke" next.

Whatcha got? Show us your custom paint, weird fretless, heavy metal machine, or clean acoustic.

__

I know we've got a bunch of guitar and bass guys here and searched through the posts for a guitar pic thread with no results. Post up some guitar and bass pics here and tell us your favorite style of playing.

I'm a big Gretsch and Fender guy and play a lot of rockabilly, surf guitar, punk, and western swing / old cowboy songs.

Favorite guitars - Gretsch G5420T, Gretsch G5034TFT, Fender American Strat, and Fender American Telecaster. I've got others, but those are my main players. Picking up a G6120T '59 Setzer Nashville "Smoke" next.

Whatcha got? Show us your custom paint, weird fretless, heavy metal machine, or clean acoustic.

__
Im not seeing any pictures. :flipoff2:

Im not seeing any pictures. :flipoff2:
I was waiting to post up after the reset, but I'll link up a couple stock pics to get things started. The Am Strat is black with a maple neck and the Am Tele is a sunburst with maple neck.

G5240T Fairlane Blue.png

G5034TFT Savannah Sunset.png

What do you think would be a nice guitar for a complete beginner? I want to fulfill my childhood dream and learn to play the guitar (at least a little). There is a wide choice of instruments I can buy, and I simply don’t know which one would be better. It would be cool to hear some opinions from people with more experience than me.
Go to your local guitar store (not Guitar Center and the likes). Sample a lot.
One that speaks to you have it set up in house (they will adjust the string height for lower action - easier fretting/playability that you will appreciate as a noob etc.).

Don’t go overboard with budget, once you have acquired some skills on it you are ready to move up to a higher end instrument.

I'm at work, no pics.

82 Guild prototype SG style bass
79 fender J
94 Carvin fretless
72 Aria acoustic electric violin
67 Hofner
88 Rick
?? Ibanez G series

All lefties cept for the rick and aria

68 reissue Gibson SG
Mexi strat with jumbos
Some amps and pedals :flipoff2:

I don't play much anymore since I lost all feeling in my left index fingertip last year. Sucks trying to learn again knowing what I used to be able to play.

88 Washburn Acoustic electric
2000 something Epiphone Jumbo acoustic

PXL_20220924_212433276.jpg

Squire 4 string acoustic
Schecter C4-GT
Schecter Studio 4 w/EMG-X pickups
Peavey Grind 5 w/EMG pickups
Ibanez SR405 (my first bass from nearly 30 years ago, damn I'm getting old)

Play mostly rock and metal. Played in a metal band in Dallas in the late 90s.

PXL_20220924_212433276.jpg

Squire 4 string acoustic
Schecter C4-GT
Schecter Studio 4 w/EMG-X pickups
Peavey Grind 5 w/EMG pickups
Ibanez SR405 (my first bass from nearly 30 years ago, damn I'm getting old)

Play mostly rock and metal. Played in a metal band in Dallas in the late 90s.

I thought that was a Peavey, how do you like it, is it heavy? My Jazz is a heavy sumbitch, i don't play out with it very often anymore since getting the Guild and Carvin fretless 5.

I thought that was a Peavey, how do you like it, is it heavy? My Jazz is a heavy sumbitch, i don't play out with it very often anymore since getting the Guild and Carvin fretless 5.
I actually really like it. It's 35" scale and neck through and has killer tone and sustain, but it is fairly heavy. I got it brand new for $300 when the local music store was selling out and shutting down.:smokin:

I actually really like it. It's 35" scale and neck through and has killer tone and sustain, but it is fairly heavy. I got it brand new for $300 when the local music store was selling out and shutting down.:smokin:

That's a really good deal. I've never wanted one but at 300... i would. It looks heavy. I'm sure the Ibanez is a lot lighter but i'm also sure it lacks the tone. I once had the opportunity to get an Alembic as a gift, but it was too heavy a bass for my liking after 10 years with the J bass on my shoulder. I almost hate playing that bass out.

That's a really good deal. I've never wanted one but at 300... i would. It looks heavy. I'm sure the Ibanez is a lot lighter but i'm also sure it lacks the tone. I once had the opportunity to get an Alembic as a gift, but it was too heavy a bass for my liking after 10 years with the J bass on my shoulder. I almost hate playing that bass out.
Yeah, I wasn't really looking to buy but couldn't pass up that deal. The Ibanez is what I used when I did play live years ago. Now I just fart around in the garage and do a little recording, which the Peavey is great for.

I've got a bastard fleet
Pretty musical family, play mainly rock, metal, blues some folk stuff.
Youngest brother playing a little gig goofing off

Ben - BC Rich

The List....
Fender Korean Squire
Bastard partscaster (fender custom shop body, HSH with alinco pickups, Gibson/epiphone hockey stick neck, .. plays wicked)
Linos (cant find info but very nicely made) PRS style with HH setup and a (now, not in pic) hotrail in the bridge location
Fender Telecaster
BC Rich (pickups swapped but forgot what they are)
Ibanez Koawood acousitc/electric
Fender P Bass
Fender Squire Jazzbass
Dean 09 Bass
couple other ones I'm forgetting too (Besides keyboards, piano, drums etc)

Attachments

• 20220523_061547_resized.jpg
    20220523_061547_resized.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220523_061542_resized.jpg
    20220523_061542_resized.jpg
    622.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220523_061501_01_resized.jpg
    20220523_061501_01_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220523_061439_resized.jpg
    20220523_061439_resized.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220430_204148_resized.jpg
    20220430_204148_resized.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220430_204145_resized.jpg
    20220430_204145_resized.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220425_170917_resized.jpg
    20220425_170917_resized.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220413_210026_resized.jpg
    20220413_210026_resized.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220413_210013_resized.jpg
    20220413_210013_resized.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 16
I have a cheap Fender, I believe.

My favorite playing style is plucking to kind of sound like a tune without people thinking I'm a retard. I never learned how to play, I bought it in order to teach myself how to play but just never found the time to learn.

Hardly play anymore, but kept a couple instruments/modeling amp if I come back to it later on.

At present I own a late 90’s Fernandes Strat style electric. I am good friends with my local music store and had them go through switchgear and wire it to my taste.

Plays like butter and even though its a cheap Chinese made guitar I love it / it will stay till I kick the bucket.

In addition to Fernandes I also have a late 70’s Yamaha G235 classical that I installed a Bband pickup into myself. This one is not going anywhere either. There is also a cheap tenor ukulele that I also electrified with soundboard transducer pickup (K&K knock off).

Sold this MIJ Gretsch not long ago, wasn’t played and it deserved to be used - great guitar.

Attachments

• 70018A5E-2DBB-48C2-B9A8-BB04FFFA234C.jpeg
    70018A5E-2DBB-48C2-B9A8-BB04FFFA234C.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 9
I've got a bastard fleet
Pretty musical family, play mainly rock, metal, blues some folk stuff.
Youngest brother playing a little gig goofing off

Ben - BC Rich

The List....
Fender Korean Squire
Bastard partscaster (fender custom shop body, HSH with alinco pickups, Gibson/epiphone hockey stick neck, .. plays wicked)
Linos (cant find info but very nicely made) PRS style with HH setup and a (now, not in pic) hotrail in the bridge location
Fender Telecaster
BC Rich (pickups swapped but forgot what they are)
Ibanez Koawood acousitc/electric
Fender P Bass
Fender Squire Jazzbass
Dean 09 Bass
couple other ones I'm forgetting too (Besides keyboards, piano, drums etc)

What year is that P

I play a Takemeni C-135 flamenco, an Ibanez sb electric, and a Gibson bass. I care more about the Amp and pickup than the guitar.

I play a Takemeni C-135 flamenco, an Ibanez sb electric, and a Gibson bass. I care more about the Amp and pickup than the guitar.

I almost bought a Gibson bass at an auction once. Went higher than i wanted to pay. Some dude was battling me hard so i let him get it, because it was right handed :homer:

Wish i would have nabbed it... it was gorgeous.

I almost bought a Gibson bass at an auction once. Went higher than i wanted to pay. Some dude was battling me hard so i let him get it, because it was right handed :homer:

Wish i would have nabbed it... it was gorgeous.
I've spun all my stuff lefty. Frets in my LH seem weird as a trigger in my right....but it looks weird AF

I'll have to remember to post up some pics of mine later. I have a couple Jackson Dinkys, an Epiphone baby Explorer, a BC Rich NJ STIII (I think) and I should be getting my Epiphone Ghosthorse from Sweetwater sometime this month.

I’ve got an old 80’s hondo2 strat, a 2006 mim fat strat, and a 2012 Gibson 70’s tribute sg I bought just to support them when the feds seized their rosewood.
Amps:
Vox DA5
Epiphone valve jr
$89 at Best Buy Crate V18 that I rewired the tone stack like a Marshall and put a weber speaker in.

It's a collection. Don't play a lot lately but will soon. Mostly imports.

a few Wolfgangs (two FMIC, one Peavey)
Fernades Ravelle X and a Vertigo
a few OLP EBMM EVH knockoffs (necks are really comfortable)
two Ibanez Talmans (one MIJ, another Korean)
Ibanez Iceman and an Ibanez Fireman (upside down Iceman, Paul Gilbert model)
couple Korean Hamers, an Echotone and a Sunburst
USA made Hamer Steve Stevens I. Pepto Bismol pink!
older USA Ovation acoustic, mid 80's I think
First Act Paul Westerberg that I got for $60!
Tele copy
Strat copy I bought in '87

then a smasher J bass copy I traded a CD changer for
couple Yamaha RBX whatevers

Ok, here are my current guitars:

My Jackson DK2M, all stock except for the Schaller strap locks.

fjGIZ5G.jpg

My Jackson DK2X, with a EMG Kerry King active set installed, two volume and two tone knobs along with the boost switch. Also has Schaller strap locks and copper tape lining the electronics cavities.

gWWGpqJ.jpg

My newest acquision, but probbaly the oldest guitar in the "collection", is my B.C. Rich that I think is an N.J. Series STIII, but haven't been able to find out for sure. It's all stock except for the Schaller strap locks. The only HSS config and I like the individual pickup switches as well as the coil split on the bridge. I paid more for the Walker and Williams strap and the strap locks than I did for the guitar.

DGkKrCG.jpg

And last is a 1997 Epiphone "Samick" Explorer, that I call a baby Explorer since it's just scaled down body, not the usual shape variations that you normally see in a smaller version. I bought it as a project and will eventually pull the Bennder trem and redrill the body for a Gotah Floyd Rose. Haven't decided what pickups I will go with. Maybe Duncan Black Winters, or possibly a set of Wes Hauch Jupiters.

jaxGr0S.jpg

All run Beefy Slinky 11-54s and tuned to D standard except the Explorer which is tuned to E and the B.C Rich, which is running Slinky M-Steel in 9-42 and tuned to E.

Current amp is a Boss Katana MkII 2-12, with a stand. I have a Zoom effects thing I rarely use, a Peterson StroboStomp HD tuner, a bunch of cables and some cheap wireless deal I got off Amazon that works surprisingly well, even if it does seem to cut a little gain.

Oh, and the music I play should be obvious. I don;t play anyone else's music, I write my own. Lots of single notes and stupid heavy chords. I like to think of it like bluesy death metal. :flipoff2:

I don't play, but have been around some amazing player and their axes. I was doing a corporate gig one time and they had the old crooner Vic Damone as the entertainment, (might have been an AARP convention, I dunno), anyway the guitar player was an east coast session guy by the name of Don (or maybe Dom) DeMarco, and he got there ahead of the rest of the band and asked if I could turn on his stage monitor, so I did, the soloed up his guitar in my wedge, holy hell I'd never heard a guitar ring like that before, so I walked out on stage and asked, "What is that thing?". He responded with a big smile, "it's a 1935 Gibson L5, the very first blonde finish L5 ever made. I'm the second owner, I bought it from my guitar teacher when I was 14", he was probably mid 60's by this point. Never heard a more pure tone. I can only imagine what that thing is worth now, and wonder where it is.

Similar to picture.

tqpcruv1kcfupx4x43qg.jpg

What year is that P
Sorry Trampas, I lied. Finally got time to pull case out, it is a Fender fretless Jazz bass, not P bass. Both of them are 2002ish

Attachments

• 20221009_112053_resized.jpg
    20221009_112053_resized.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221009_112057_resized.jpg
    20221009_112057_resized.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221009_112105_resized.jpg
    20221009_112105_resized.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 5
Top Back Refresh